NEWS

Favorite Pistol in 5th.

• 50 Replies

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #15 on: <02-14-19/1618:41> »
Colt Manhunter as depicted in the Street Samurai Catalog. It looks sturdy, durable, and dependable. And so what if it costs more than the Predator. Style counts.

In sr5 I’d way a second would be Flechetti Executive Action
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #16 on: <02-14-19/2130:34> »
Walther PB-120: Excellent concealment with its standard ten-rounds (and an optional fifteen-round extended magazine for when things get really hairy). Sure, it’s only a light pistol, but with quality ammo and called shots will alleviate that issue. It’s not a primary weapon in anything but those rare Black Tie affairs, but it’s a fantastic ankle gunz

It was Matador’s back-up gun of choice. That’s a quality endorsement.
Matador was a Merc.  You use the pistol to get to the rifle that you shouldn't have been away from in the first place.

That said, that's beyond the scope of this topic, but still, yeah.  Ten-rounds to start with and 15-round followups are nothing to sneeze at.
Actually, there's something to be said for that. What kind of pistol you use depends a lot on what you are expecting to need it for. The qualities you want in an 'oh shit' pistol to get lead downrange while you find a way to de-ass the area or get to your primary weapon is different from what you want out of a concealable option for high society meets, just to name two examples.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <02-14-19/2200:59> »
Matador was a Merc.  You use the pistol to get to the rifle that you shouldn't have been away from in the first place.

That's why I referred to it as an ankle gun. It's not a primary weapon, it's not even a secondary weapon... It's the thing you've got strapped to your ankle for when you've lost your first choices. Plus, every now and again, you might find yourself needing to carry something even more discrete than normal.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <02-15-19/1539:14> »
Now that Looper rounds and DMSO+blight capsules are a thing, having a nice concealable weapon to deploy those tools is rather handy.  They even give a new lease on relevance to 2-shot derringers (less ammo the better to get bast chem-sniffers...)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #19 on: <02-15-19/2227:41> »
..I have a decker who uses a Browning Ghost for Looper rounds.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Wenlocke

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <02-18-19/1829:00> »
of course, the artwork doesn't always help with getting a sense of what the guns are, and what their practicality is.

Exhibit A for Art Shift:
The Nemesis Praetorian. Went from something that just looked OTT and gangster bling (so had a niche in certain concepts,) to a wtf?
Nostalgia 'aint what it used to be.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <02-18-19/2106:41> »
Too many SR authors over the years have known diddly about firearms...

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #22 on: <02-19-19/0120:38> »
of course, the artwork doesn't always help with getting a sense of what the guns are, and what their practicality is.

Exhibit A for Art Shift:
The Nemesis Praetorian. Went from something that just looked OTT and gangster bling (so had a niche in certain concepts,) to a wtf?
Agreed! I went 'WTH!!!' when seeing that! I'm just going to stick to the old looks, because seriously??
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Wenlocke

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <02-19-19/0910:23> »
Even worse, does that second one look like you could get a full clip of heavy pistol ammo  in the handgrip? The first one kinda does if you scale it right, the second is just "ahhh. Did the artists actually read the description or the stats?
Nostalgia 'aint what it used to be.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #24 on: <02-19-19/1140:26> »
Too many SR authors over the years have known diddly about firearms...
Well, they got me now.   ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #25 on: <02-19-19/1306:06> »
... So Krime's going to release a sheep-firing weapon? Or are they going to weaponize sheep now? (That totally sounds like a thing Krime would do, by the way. With the slogan "COUNT THESE!!!")

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #26 on: <02-19-19/1330:19> »
... So Krime's going to release a sheep-firing weapon? Or are they going to weaponize sheep now? (That totally sounds like a thing Krime would do, by the way. With the slogan "COUNT THESE!!!")
No, that'd be cruelty to animals.  Also, sheep are expensive ammunition, even cloned ones.  Krime's all about that "affordability" (ie:  "Cheap").

That isn't to say that one of the facilities that Krime runs might have a catapult or trebuchet for dreks and giggles for the management.  Then again, they might not, as well.   ;D

BTW:  A jukebox to a 'Runner Team's van would probably do a lot of damage, even if it is armoured.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #27 on: <02-19-19/1624:51> »
No, that'd be cruelty to animals.  Also, sheep are expensive ammunition, even cloned ones.  Krime's all about that "affordability" (ie:  "Cheap").

That isn't to say that one of the facilities that Krime runs might have a catapult or trebuchet for dreks and giggles for the management.  Then again, they might not, as well.   ;D

BTW:  A jukebox to a 'Runner Team's van would probably do a lot of damage, even if it is armoured.
Nono, I mean that they're going to build battle armor for Sheep, including a small turret on the back that can handle only Light Machine Guns. And they'll gniffle and call it a sheep in wolves' clothing.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <02-19-19/1721:21> »
Weaponized sheep is just the plot twist Shadowrun needs, let’s face it the 1980’s cyberpunk “Japanacorps take over the world!” is as played out a trope as the 1950’s sci-fi “Commie Russkie Chinese Space Aliens!” plot line. But weaponized sheep? That’s a new twist: Wales conquers everybody!

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <02-19-19/1728:05> »
Did I miss something or was that just one hell of a non-sequitur?
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide