NEWS

A suggestion for Attitude:

• 43 Replies

imperialus

• Chummer
« on: <12-26-10/1326:19> »
Just read the blurb about Attitude on the frontpage and figured I would chime in with a suggestion.

Give each and every freelancer, editor, and anyone else who touches the manuscript a free PDF of Neo-Anarchists Guide to Real Life and Shadowbeat (Neo-Anarchists Guide to North America is also an option).  Tell them that for every page, every paragraph they write they should look back at those books and ask themselves "Is what I am writing like this updated for 2072?"  If the answer is no, then they need to rewrite it.

Please, for the love of all that is holy I want to love this book.  I want everyone to love this book.  I'm getting very tired of defending CGL all over the internet.  You have the opportunity to be awesome now.  Please, please, please use it!

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #1 on: <12-26-10/1550:33> »
I guess you're to late!
And my last information about Attitude was that it is for high class or High Society, the rich the famous and the spoiled. But my informations are very old...

And the books you're talking about aren't that brilliant at all. Background stories were okay and nice, but the rules and equipment were not!

What I await is a book that gives use a little bit of this and a little bit of that...

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #2 on: <12-26-10/1621:14> »
My thought was that it's illogical to suggest that the way to advance a game is to bind it irrevocably to its past. I mean, yeah, if there's good stuff, loot away. But, only take what's good and what's relevant to the direction that the game's heading.

It's like all the movies we see lately that are simply aping movies from the 70's and 80's instead of trying to introduce something new, is that really how you want the creative process to work? Imitating what's already there?
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #3 on: <12-26-10/1644:10> »
Some of my characters are wealthy, Lifestyle High or more, and so I hope there will be more for the Life of rich and famous people, but we will see...

wraith

• Chummer
  • just another ghost in the machine
« Reply #4 on: <12-26-10/2001:32> »
My thought was that it's illogical to suggest that the way to advance a game is to bind it irrevocably to its past. I mean, yeah, if there's good stuff, loot away. But, only take what's good and what's relevant to the direction that the game's heading.

It's like all the movies we see lately that are simply aping movies from the 70's and 80's instead of trying to introduce something new, is that really how you want the creative process to work? Imitating what's already there?

It is a hard line for the writers to work.  Creativity is essential to keep the game fresh, but at the same time there has to be enough similarity to at least imply some kind of continuity, or the long-term players will be irritated that their favorite game's setting just went from "High Tech and Low Life" to "2010 with Elves".

Not a job I'd want to take on without a lot of research and support.   ;)

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #5 on: <12-26-10/2010:26> »
I fully understand the need to tie back to the games history and to research what you're working on. That's why I even went so far as to say loot the good stuff.

But, read the OP, he basically says "if you don't copy/paste then change 2050 to 2073, scrap and start over".

There's a difference between rehashing the old and learning from it.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #6 on: <12-26-10/2036:14> »
just remember, the high and mightly, the all powerful, dont always look like they are. Some live very simple lives but have many powerful friends
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

wraith

• Chummer
  • just another ghost in the machine
« Reply #7 on: <12-26-10/2056:21> »
I fully understand the need to tie back to the games history and to research what you're working on. That's why I even went so far as to say loot the good stuff.

But, read the OP, he basically says "if you don't copy/paste then change 2050 to 2073, scrap and start over".

I think his point was more on the lines of suggesting that the writers take into consideration what worked well about previous takes on the same topics in the setting, rather than starting over from scratch and risking thematic drift.

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #8 on: <12-27-10/0257:37> »
There will be no going forward if one continually stare into the rear-view mirror.

I just hope Attitude gives us a view of the average joe life in SR, as right now everything is from a runners POV. This then slants a whole lot of issues, like why is wireless everywhere when it gets in the way of doing runner business.

Seeing how joe benefits from this, and similar, may help cut back on some background noise.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <12-27-10/1100:47> »
If we're looking to previous books, of course, then the two State of the Art books from 3rd ed are totally worth it too.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

imperialus

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <12-27-10/1221:49> »

I think his point was more on the lines of suggesting that the writers take into consideration what worked well about previous takes on the same topics in the setting, rather than starting over from scratch and risking thematic drift.

Yeah, that's basically my point.  Shadowrun seems to have lost a lot of its direction and focus over the past year.  The new writers don't seem connected to the history and background of the setting.  I was being somewhat hyperbolic but my point stands, the new writers need to develop a deeper understanding of what made Shadowrun what it is now and then they can start worrying about how to make it their own...  I mean just for example, if the new writeup for the Urban Brawl rules doesn't at least pay lip service to the rules that were portrayed in Shadowbeat I'll be ticked.

TranqFrollman

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <12-27-10/1345:28> »
Given that writers are required to read almost nothing about Shadowrun itself by now, I don't think they're gonna read anything on RL related issues.

imperialus

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <12-27-10/1400:39> »
see, now I just don't get that... Shadowrun's backstory is what makes it different than anything else out there, the mechanics are nothing too special at least... JH has to realize that Shadowrun is a niche game in a niche market.  The people who play, or at least the people who are willing to take the time to form groups and GM the game are going to be fans of the setting and appreciate the idea that the supplements that come out for it are at least logical when compared to the great heaps of books we probably all already have.  Why release old supplements on PDF if the ideas contained within them aren't going to be carried forward.

Back in August after the court case against CGL was dismissed and the licence was extended I told myself I would give them a year to get their things in order.  It just seems depressing that if anything they are moving the the exact opposite direction that I would want to see them going.

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #13 on: <12-27-10/1601:34> »
i have been following the game since late sr2, but i know nothing about the urbal brawl rules. As such, any such rules in a upcoming book could be made from writer farts and i  would not know. I have already been turned away from the cp20xx community thanks to its insitence on the holiness of 2020 style, please do not make me do so with sr as well.
« Last Edit: <12-28-10/0145:34> by hobgoblin »
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #14 on: <12-27-10/1708:38> »
Just to note, before anyone gets to up in arms about "Tranqs" link...  The comments made there are baseless speculation, and completely wrong.

Bull