NEWS

[6e]Autosofts

• 2 Replies

MercilessMing

• Omae
« on: <04-22-21/1621:54> »
Is there an official ruling on what Autosofts are device-specific and which are general purpose?  Based on CRB wording I would rule:
Clearsight: general
E-War: general
Evasion: general, even though device-specific would make sense, the description doesn't mention it
Maneuvering: device (drone)
Stealth: device (drone)
Targeting: device (weapon)

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-23-21/1030:31> »
Well... it seems fairly cut and dry to me.  Maneuvering, Stealth, Targeting all use "specific drone/weapon" language.  Clearsight, EW, and evasion do not.

I could see treating Evasion as being drone-specific as a reasonable house rule/adjudication.  Personally I've got a soft spot for riggers, and Autosofts are already expensive enough as is. Note that unless you're sharing an Autosoft from a RCC, you have to re-buy the same Autosoft anyway over and over, drone by drone.  Having to re-buy some very combat relevant Autosofts on top of when you simply change out a destroyed X model for a destroyed Y model adds some un-fun book-keeping to playing a rigger. Therefore I'd prefer to go the other way... make Targeting be the only Autosoft that's device specific.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <04-23-21/1150:58> »
Ok, thanks.  The Genesis character creator doesn't treat any autosofts except Targeting as device-specific so it's important for their sake to get an official word.