NEWS

Assault Cannon vs Sniper, wtf?

• 57 Replies

Redmercury

• Omae
« Reply #45 on: <01-06-13/1500:45> »
Considering that soldiers in the 2070's are equipped with strength assisting suits I would think they could come up with something.

I also want to point out that that recoilless rifle had many ammo options. It makes me wonder why there aren't more options for assault cannon ammo in SR. Hell, stick n' shot for vehicles, smoke, AP...

[edit] "Hell" as in the expression not the ammo, although some long range incendiary burst would be neat.
« Last Edit: <01-06-13/1502:31> by Redmercury »

Batarevo

• Newb
« Reply #46 on: <02-14-13/1549:50> »
think of it this way guys. Sniper Rifles/Anti-Material Rifles are normally 7.62-12.5mm. anything over that is an Assault Canon. 20 is the norm in the military on aircraft and vehicles. in some case there are 30mm. however as a Man portable system for trolls i would say 40mm and that is pushing it on the heavy spectrum of rounds. the round is as tall as a dwarf. plus the range for an AC is also off in the rule book. 1500m is way short if you look at the range of some of the 20mm anti tank rifles as well as their size. range should be 2750+

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #47 on: <02-14-13/2120:20> »
So we're talking about big guns and recoil huh? Well, there was the rule that I used a while back which I think I got from arsenal which was, you take stun damage equal to the weapons uncompensated recoil for heavy weapons when firing unbraced, and for assault cannons you'd still get a bad shoulder bruise unless it was on a tripod.

The closest I can find to a modern "Assault Cannon" are the Mechem NTW, or the RT-20. Though I always assumed an "Assault Cannon" was actually just a large caliber anti materiel rifle in most cases, or the vigorous which is just a Barret.

A while back I statted out a 2070's version of the NTW, which pretty much just had a good sensor suite and similar capabilities to the RL one.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #48 on: <02-15-13/1632:13> »
So we're talking about big guns and recoil huh? Well, there was the rule that I used a while back which I think I got from arsenal which was, you take stun damage equal to the weapons uncompensated recoil for heavy weapons when firing unbraced, and for assault cannons you'd still get a bad shoulder bruise unless it was on a tripod.
It's not recoil(witch would actually be an usable rule), it's half the DV(also you need 8 strength and Body to use a heavy weapon without stabiliser).
That rule is so damm idiotic that there isn't even a word for that, after all the heavy weapon category includes light machine guns and grenade launchers(including a pistol grenade launcher)
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #49 on: <02-16-13/1015:30> »
Idiotic, because firing an unbraced 40 mil on the run wont break something. If you can't see why you would try to prevent your players from run and gunning with an assault cannon it's not worth explaining to you.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #50 on: <02-16-13/1407:53> »
Idiotic, because firing an unbraced 40 mil on the run wont break something. If you can't see why you would try to prevent your players from run and gunning with an assault cannon it's not worth explaining to you.
I stand by my statement that the actual optional rule from arsenal is beyond idiotic, but incase you missed i agreed that the uncompensated recoil based rule you used might be workable(as long as what is affected by it is much much more defined then just heavy weapons)
"An it harm none, do what you will"

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #51 on: <02-16-13/1510:21> »
Agreed, like I said maybe I am short sighted. As a scientific person, I cannot guess 2070s tech. But 80mm man portable weaponry eliminates the need for battle rifles or automatics. Why use anything else? An infantryman can kill tanks at will.
Time to drag out this old link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyAl9qK3Rlg

-k

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #52 on: <02-16-13/1617:15> »

Keep in mind for a moment that the Str/Bod 8 req means you're talking about somone who is an altogether superhuman physical specimen.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #53 on: <02-17-13/0517:56> »
Who are we talking about?

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #54 on: <02-17-13/0859:40> »

Keep in mind for a moment that the Str/Bod 8 req means you're talking about somone who is an altogether superhuman physical specimen.

Or just another troll. I'm sure a lot of them make that requirement.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #55 on: <02-17-13/1636:27> »

Or just another troll. I'm sure a lot of them make that requirement.

Most trolls are stronger and tougher than any unaugmented mundane.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #56 on: <02-17-13/1741:30> »
And you think that my player was a troll? Either way, that's only 1 point of recoil compensation.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #57 on: <02-17-13/1938:29> »
And you think that my player was a troll? Either way, that's only 1 point of recoil compensation.

I'm saying that at the attributes required, you cannot apply the limitations of a normal human.  Trolls have nothing to do with the point, and I'm not the one who brought them up.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites