NEWS

The Death of Cybereyes?

• 73 Replies

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #15 on: <08-28-13/1413:28> »
Why do the eyes need to communicate wirelessly?
because thats the new Default Line for everything in SR5

HougH!
Medicineman
Except when it isn't.
Toggling an individual device’s wireless functionality off is a Free Action, as is toggling all of your wireless devices to “wireless off.” You lose wireless bonuses, but the items can no longer be wirelessly hacked
Which gets back to the original question. Cybereyes don't provide a wireless bonus, so there isn't any reason to necessarily have them turned to wireless on. A smartlink does have wireless bonuses, so you really shouldn't turn it off. But is a smartlink considered a part of cybereyes (and thus the whole package is considered "on" if one part of it is) or are they discrete? Allowing you to turn the smartlink to wireless on (so it can communicate with the smartgun) and leave the eyes as wireless off?
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <08-28-13/1414:07> »
This quote may help here

SR 5E p451
Besides their wireless functionality, almost all cyberware devices are equipped with a neural inter face (not to be confused with DNI) that lets you mentally activate and control their functions. You can use this in place of wireless control, preventing wireless hacking, as long as all of the “moving parts” are connected to your nervous system. An item that has a wireless bonus, however, can only gain that full level of functionality if wireless functionality
is active.

Though this does not address if a peace of cyberware is installed inside another does the cyberware it is installed inside have to be wireless connected to the matrix for the inner device to be wireless connected to the matrix. The wireless bonuses are coming from connection with the matrix after all.

Emil_Barr

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <08-28-13/1420:36> »
With the changes to how electronics communicate with eachother,  I really have no reason to think the eyes wireless *doesnt* need to be on to comminicate with its enhancemoents.
Not sure how I would rule. With that rationale, a cyberarm would have to be wireless enabled in order to take advantage of the cyberarm gyromount's wireless bonus (in addition to the gyromount). Seems a little odd.

Not really. They cyberarm doesnt have to communicate with the gyromount. Unlike your eyes which have to communicate with your smartlink/imagelink
Why do the eyes need to communicate wirelessly? It seems they would just need to receive information from the smartlink to display, which should be able to be accomplished without wireless (at least between the smartlink and the eyes). I also am a bit suspicious of the claim that the gyromount wouldn't need to communicate with the cyberarm at all. (I'd throw in pretty much all of the other cyber accessories with wireless here as well).

Yes, the smartlink gets the data from the smargun. But it has to communicate with your eyes in order for you to actually *see* it. Since cyber doesnt communicate with eachother anymore without wireless (hence why wired reflexes anx reflex enhancers arent compatable without it) I can only conclude that the accessories in your eyes dont communicate wired to the eyes themselves.

As far as the gryomount, its a physics/gravity operated widget that counterbalances the force of your gun to keep it stable. It doesnt really need to communicate with your arm anymore than a segway does its tires.

You dont really need a datajack. Everything communicates wirelessly. It really serves no purpose anymore.

The purpose of the datajack is the noise reduction ether to prevent your wireless bonuses switching off due to noise or to reduce noise due to range/static/spam that is making life harder for your Decker or Rigger

So, what, it gives off an antijammimg field?

And it still isnt necessary to have in order to do anything wirelessly.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <08-28-13/1426:36> »
The datajack acts as a router and a signal amplifier.

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <08-28-13/1430:02> »

So, what, it gives off an antijammimg field?

And it still isnt necessary to have in order to do anything wirelessly.

As to how a datajack gives it's 1 point of noise reduction, you will have to ask the people who designed them. (edit: looks like Crunch has it worked out)
I was not saying a datajack is necessary to do anything wirelessly, just that if you want wireless bonuses in the barrens or the like you need noise reduction. You can still wirelessly connect your smartgun to your smartlink when the spam is so bad your smartgun/smartlnk can not get local weather conditions data off the matrix fast enough to grant it's dice pool bonus. (as indicated on p421 "Wireless Bonuses")

Emil_Barr

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <08-28-13/1431:57> »

I was under the impression everything was a router in the wireless future :P

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <08-28-13/1433:12> »

There's distributed routing, but that doesn't mean a dedicated unit can't provide a bonus.

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <08-28-13/1434:53> »

But if it is your router you can kill the advertising spam I would hope.

Emil_Barr

• Chummer
« Reply #23 on: <08-28-13/1447:55> »

There's distributed routing, but that doesn't mean a dedicated unit can't provide a bonus.

How is this stuff setup?

Smartgun > datajack > matrix > datajack > smartlink ?

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <08-28-13/1459:32> »
I'm not sure I understand the question.

SR5 doesn't give us a CCNA guide for the 2070s matrix any more than it provides us with a CQB manual for the CAS army or a dissertation of the aerodynamics of vectored thrust WIGE vehicles.
« Last Edit: <08-28-13/1505:45> by Crunch »

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #25 on: <08-28-13/1505:04> »
There are two sides to wireless functionality one is devices talking to each other with out wires (or other physical connection like with cyberwear) and the other is talking to the matrix to allow wireless bonuses. One only needs short rang communications but leaves you open to wireless hacking while the other needs to go through a Grid and leaves the device open to wireless hacking.
So your Datajack is connecting your Smartgun to your Smartlink as well as connecting them both to the matrix via a grid.

Emil_Barr

• Chummer
« Reply #26 on: <08-28-13/1522:28> »
There are two sides to wireless functionality one is devices talking to each other with out wires (or other physical connection like with cyberwear) and the other is talking to the matrix to allow wireless bonuses. One only needs short rang communications but leaves you open to wireless hacking while the other needs to go through a Grid and leaves the device open to wireless hacking.
So your Datajack is connecting your Smartgun to your Smartlink as well as connecting them both to the matrix via a grid.

But every device can connect to the matrix directly.

Im going to be honest. I dont think bluetooth exists in the shadowrun universe, only wifi.  I dont think wireless devices directly connect to one another, I think everything goes:

device > matrix > device

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <08-28-13/1523:44> »
Then how do you explain slaving and things like the datajack bonus?

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <08-28-13/1527:23> »
SR 5E p421
A wireless device is always vulnerable to subversion and control by a hacker within wireless handshake range.
To me this indicates there is direct device to device communication via wireless in SR 5E.

Silence

• Omae
  • I swear, I'm innocent. Just ask the nuns.
« Reply #29 on: <08-28-13/1530:51> »
Datajack gives you DNI, which is sort of what it's supposed to do.
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend" - every instructor out there

"Maybe in your case, but he's a great buddy I'm leaving behind." - Siouxsie