NEWS

Hallejuah! Grenades work again!

• 111 Replies

GloriousRuse

• Chummer
« on: <08-01-13/1826:20> »
It is big and beautiful to see that the damage codes on grenades are now scary again. A frag grenade can and will mess up your world, which is excellent. Even if it converts to stun, the reaminign soak is usually big and bad enough to put people into -3 modifiers or straight knock out and some into P. hooray!

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-01-13/1909:01> »
Actually, more important than "grenades are threatening damage-wise again" is the matter of "they turned grenades into things that no longer need opposed tests, barely scatter, and can be fired and detonated before you get a chance to run out of the blast radius, unless you dedicate your hacker to trying to find a single wireless grenade within a 500 meter radius that might not even exist, for the sole purpose of making it explode before it's fired at you". So yeah. :-\

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-01-13/1934:17> »
If people are at the point of using grenades on you, the stay in a DocWagon fortified hospital will probably do you wonders for lifespan.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #3 on: <08-01-13/1941:25> »
After you pull the pin from Mr. Grenade, he is no longer your friend.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

calaen

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-01-13/1944:18> »
Mr. Grenade is just a bit touchy about what you do with his pin, but really, think about the anatomical equivalent of what you just yanked off.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-01-13/1945:47> »
Touchy nothing, Mr. White Phosphorous Grenade is rather 'hot tempered'. :P
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

calaen

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <08-01-13/1953:33> »
Or maybe you're just getting him all hot and bothered.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <08-02-13/0618:50> »
Grenades damages are nice. The way a short burst then goes to double the damage is really scary. Lack of written dodge rules and Bull stating there is no dodging them, period, is scary as hell. Especially with activating Wireless grenades just before you use them and them exploding in your own Action Phase.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #8 on: <08-02-13/0705:17> »
Yay! an unarmoured civilian in the middle of a field is finally at risk from grenades again! :)

Seriously, grenades are now pretty dang badass. I'm going to declare them 'escalation' for 5th edition, rather than '[dull monotone] oh look a grenade. That might frizz up my hair a little. [/dull monotone]'
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <08-02-13/0714:27> »
When you face 32P/+3 damage that only requires 3 hits unopposed on a grenade launcher test, it definitely spells out escalation. ^_^
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Dragonslayer

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <08-02-13/0816:01> »
32P? Where is that coming from?

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <08-02-13/0917:17> »

It comes from firing a semiautomatic burst from an MGL-12 semiautomatic grenade launcher.  Since it's a burst, you only make one attack roll, which means all three grenades hit the same location.  You get the full damage of the first, plus half damage for the 2nd and half damage for the 3rd.  It's not cheap, at 300Y per Complex Action, but it will get results.  That result will be a bunch of dead people, or a bunch of unconscious people if you use flashbangs.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-02-13/0923:09> »
Well, excepting PCs who can burn Edge to live, is there anyone who thinks that you shouldn't die if you're point blank for three grenades at the same time?

Dragonslayer

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <08-02-13/1006:23> »

It comes from firing a semiautomatic burst from an MGL-12 semiautomatic grenade launcher.  Since it's a burst, you only make one attack roll, which means all three grenades hit the same location.  You get the full damage of the first, plus half damage for the 2nd and half damage for the 3rd.  It's not cheap, at 300Y per Complex Action, but it will get results.  That result will be a bunch of dead people, or a bunch of unconscious people if you use flashbangs.

Christ.  Good thing my GM doesn't use these boards, or the next dragonslayer I go up against might try that.  Thankfully, if he did, I'd have a chance of getting away.

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <08-02-13/1052:52> »
Your chance of getting away is pretty much burning a point of edge to avoid being incinerated.  You don't get any sort of defense test, and impact detonated grenades go off immediately.  Combine that with only needing to hit a threshold of 3 on a normal Agility+Heavy Weapons test to avoid any scatter and you're in a world of hurt.

I'm seeing why Missions S5 is in Chicago, since the MGL may become the primary weapon of choice and the former CZ is one of the few places where no one is going to care if you're spraying explosives everywhere.