NEWS

Funny yet Effective

• 18 Replies

Glorthoron

• Omae
« on: <12-28-11/2237:58> »
Just looking to share some war stories: specifically ones that you found very ammusing and yet were very effective.

To begin, I would like to tell you guys about a run my players were doing.  They had to break into the mansion of a wealthy artifact collector and steal an enchanted collectable.  The mansion was surrounded by a stone wall and within the stone wall was a roaming pack of Barghests (I think, might have been Hellhounds, I'm not 100% sure).  Anyway, they decided to use a very unconventional tool to deal with the Security Critters.  They went out and purchased some high grade adhesive and then highjacked the delivery vehicle of the company that supplied the "live" food for the barghests.  Here I am thinking that they are going to cover the animal with the adhesive so that the barghests stick to it.  Boy was I wrong.  What they ended up doing was stunning the poor animal and then inserting as many rounds of a stun chemical (don't recall which one) into its back end, they glued it shut.  They then stimmed it into consciousness and set it out to be feasted on by the barghests.  When the Critters tore into the animal (I think it was a sheep), boom went the toxin and the dogs went down.

I have to say that I never laughed so hard at such a silly yet effective plan.  And since it was so creative, I didn't even bother attempting resistance for the barghests.  I just had to give it to them.,
"It's not enough to complain.  You have to want to be part of the solution."

Ronin

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <12-29-11/0643:31> »
Bomb in a pizza box.  It was the first run my brother did and my first time as GM so I made it a simple extraction from a small corporate research facility.  The target: a typical scientist working on new cybertechnology, nothing imaginative or complex but it was a new game for two of us.  Anyway, my brother's character at the time (a sniper, demo expert, mechanic, driver) knocks out the pizza delivery guy as he's on his way to the facility.  The team knew that the security ordered pizza three nights a week.  He puts a small amount of explosives and confetti under the pizza, rides up to the front entrance on the delivery guy's scooter and walks into reception.  The confused looking receptionist tells him that the usual delivery guy brings the pizza in the back for the security team.  He manages to con his way past saying he's new, an easy feat considering she's never seen him before, and take the pizza to the security team.  He takes their money (+10 nuyen) and then as soon as he leaves the room he sprints past the stunned receptionist and presses the detonator.  One guard has his face blown off, the others aren't looking too well neither and the confetti isn't making them feel better.  Then, the ork street sam and elf face are dressed in their best suits, pistol in hand, and walking casually into the building. The ork waves at a camera even though he knows nobody is watching what's left of the screens anymore.  A firefight with some very stunned, injured and confused guards (along with some ok guards who were patrolling the corridors and outside) ensues and the two manage to get the right scientist.  Meanwhile, the sniper, driver etc dude has put c4 on all of the security cars outside, swapped his scooter for his car and drives through the glass front of the building to extract the team and the scientist.  A guard gets to the car first, climbs inside and starts beating the tar out of the guy with a stun baton.  He's forced to reverse back out of the building, kicking the guard out of the car as he goes.  The others smash through a window (with a grenade) and start running around the car park until their driver loops back around and picks them up.  They detonate the C4 on the cars and do a quick evasion of Lone Star before handing the scientist over to Mr. Johnson and having a few pints at the local.  I've never laughed so hard in my life.  Well... once I did. Harder. But that's not important.

BSOD

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-29-11/1310:37> »
Trying a eliminate a local gang who were hold up it an abandoned mill. I spend a couple of hours drawing up just the right maps, stating bad guys, and generally making sure it would be a really good introduction to combat. So the team arrives and gets into position. The rigger sits in the Van and has a roto-drone overhead in case of runners, and two smaller bugs for inside recon. The drake adept and pixie mage fly onto the roof, the face talks her way in with a bunch of explosives, and the second mage gets ready to start from the bottom floor up. A fairly sound plan to catch this gang from two sides. However then this pixie mage pulls out some sort of super-glue, it's in SR4 but god knows where now, and seals the roof access shut. Then the drake systematically uses fire breath to burn set each floor on fire from the ground floor up. Suffice to say there were a lot of charred Orks by the end of it.
And before anyone makes the "Ork, the other white meat" joke, that was proven later when the drake char-grilled and ate a witness to another dastardly deed.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #3 on: <12-29-11/1919:20> »
Mr. Johnson hired us to test the newly-installed metahuman-free computer-driven security at his manufactory.  We're tasked to get in, get the chip from the plant manager's desk drawer, and escape.  We witness gel rounds being loaded into the drones, that sort of thing; all non-lethal.

Understand that our GM was not new to the game, but was relatively new to our group; typically I, Chris (always played a rigger), and Dan (playing a street sam) never get a chance to play as PCs with each other; one of us is always GMing.  This is almost always necessary, as it's a virtual necessity for one of us to be on the other side in order to keep the other two in check.

Chris, Dan and I exchange glances, then put our heads together.  We hit a dozen pet stores, dollar stores, and other sort of 'widget!!' places, spending almost all of our 15% front money on ...

• Marbles
  • Wind-up toys
  • Finches
  • Foil (to tie onto the finches' feet)
  • Auto-remote drones (think fast Roombas)
  • Drone-sized 'boots'
  • etc.

By the time we got done, the place was a mess, the computer was practically schitzophrenic with trying to figure out what were 'actual' contacts, all the Dobermans had been booted, and both GM and Johnson were shaking their heads as they handed us the rest of the money.  One of the most sheerly creative-chaotic bloodless games I've every played in.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-29-11/2124:43> »
Mr. Johnson hired us to test the newly-installed metahuman-free computer-driven security at his manufactory.  We're tasked to get in, get the chip from the plant manager's desk drawer, and escape.  We witness gel rounds being loaded into the drones, that sort of thing; all non-lethal.

Understand that our GM was not new to the game, but was relatively new to our group; typically I, Chris (always played a rigger), and Dan (playing a street sam) never get a chance to play as PCs with each other; one of us is always GMing.  This is almost always necessary, as it's a virtual necessity for one of us to be on the other side in order to keep the other two in check.

Chris, Dan and I exchange glances, then put our heads together.  We hit a dozen pet stores, dollar stores, and other sort of 'widget!!' places, spending almost all of our 15% front money on ...

• Marbles
  • Wind-up toys
  • Finches
  • Foil (to tie onto the finches' feet)
  • Auto-remote drones (think fast Roombas)
  • Drone-sized 'boots'
  • etc.

By the time we got done, the place was a mess, the computer was practically schitzophrenic with trying to figure out what were 'actual' contacts, all the Dobermans had been booted, and both GM and Johnson were shaking their heads as they handed us the rest of the money.  One of the most sheerly creative-chaotic bloodless games I've every played in.

Describe that one more i'm curious.
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #5 on: <12-31-11/0413:38> »
pipe bomb in a toilet, remote detonated after flushing it to destroy the sewage pipes. Flooded the bottom floor of a corp building in sewage. Team enters the building dressed in biohazard suits and clears everyone out. Hacker disrupts cameras. Everyone drops the act and steals the goods.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #6 on: <12-31-11/0921:03> »
SoyKaff truck painted up almost identical to a high-end coffee chain, selling cheap Kaff to Security Personnel at a discount as they're "New flavors for testing".

It was really bad if someone drank both the Midnight Serenade and the Chocolate Thunder at the same time...

EDIT:  They made 20% extra on the run selling Kaff alone, and almost ran out before they actually got to their target.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

MyrkMenethil

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <01-01-12/0125:27> »
pipe bomb in a toilet, remote detonated after flushing it to destroy the sewage pipes. Flooded the bottom floor of a corp building in sewage. Team enters the building dressed in biohazard suits and clears everyone out. Hacker disrupts cameras. Everyone drops the act and steals the goods.

That was a fun run. First time I played a hacker too, and I ended up waist deep in raw sewage with a gallon of lysol being dumped over my head by the swordsman. Side note, not once during that hack did the system realize I was there.

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #8 on: <01-02-12/2220:01> »
Instrument Cases filled with guns, a tried and true classic and hilarious way to geek meta-human traffickers at a Jazz Club.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <01-02-12/2312:43> »
Instrument Cases filled with guns, a tried and true classic and hilarious way to geek meta-human traffickers at a Jazz Club.
"It was a man, all dressed in black...  And he had a guitar case, full of guns!"

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-03-12/1137:27> »
Another classic: a bag of flour (the finest you can get, doesn't need to be big), some open flame (preferable remotely activated) and knowledge on why open flame is not allowed in flour mills.  All perfectly legal.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <01-03-12/1148:12> »
Another classic: a bag of flour (the finest you can get, doesn't need to be big), some open flame (preferable remotely activated) and knowledge on why open flame is not allowed in flour mills.  All perfectly legal.
You can substitute sugar or ground corn.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #12 on: <01-03-12/1150:37> »
You can substitute sugar or ground corn.
Or powdered coffee creamer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <01-03-12/1203:26> »
Non-Dairy Powdered Creamer, however, is highly Toxic and may bring the Horrors that much sooner.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <01-03-12/1418:27> »

don't forget a way to turn that densely packed bag of flour into a cloud of flour, otherwise it won't burn.   :o
"It's not enough to complain.  You have to want to be part of the solution."