NEWS

Cyber Cult

• 7 Replies

LankyOgre

• Newb
« on: <05-20-11/1131:53> »
I was thinking about the possibility of using a cyber cult as antagonists in an upcoming adventure. Possibly a group that thinks cyber-limbs and replacements are the natural "evolution" of humans. The belief that humans should make themselves better in any way possible.
Some of the cult members that dont go into public much might have more extreme forms of "enhancement." I.e. replacing legs with and ATV, or spider type legs, etc. Are there any resources for nonstandard cyber replacements or resources for this type of cult?

dashifen

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <05-20-11/1153:27> »
Not really, but just up the essence hit a bit to represent experimental/prototypical limbs and call it even. 
Kotori (PDF, Vehicles, Chummer)

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #2 on: <05-20-11/1156:55> »
Well, there's the raptorial legs, for running, but I can't really think of anything else specific off the top of my head.  Full cyborgs are probably what they're thinking of, but they're unstable and crazy expensive.

What I thought was interesting, is that cyberware is actually kind of outdated and nano/bio/gene 'ware is where it's at these days.
Also, a lot of the functions that used to be cyberware only actually have AR/Comlink options, like the electronic senses or smartlinks.

On the other hand, they could just be mech fetishists.  Into the whole full body replacement (torso, skull, limbs).
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

Morg

« Reply #3 on: <05-20-11/1220:58> »
Nuts and bolts to you, I still clank my shiny hoop with the best of them

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <05-20-11/1819:54> »
When the guy walking down the street in nothing more than lime green flip-flops and a pair of boxer shorts with yellow duckies goes by muttering "Metal is better, metal is better" constantly, you just smile, nod, and agree with him.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Morg

« Reply #5 on: <05-20-11/2016:54> »
When the guy walking down the street in nothing more than lime green flip-flops and a pair of boxer shorts with yellow duckies goes by muttering "Metal is better, metal is better" constantly, you just smile, nod, and agree with him.

No! No! No! you use metal as a descriptor

Therefore he would say "Metal is METAL!"
« Last Edit: <05-20-11/2018:58> by Morg »

Wickidsurfer

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <05-21-11/1938:08> »
This post got me thinking of the Night Hunters from Seattle 2072(pg. 184), the 3rd tier gang based out of Renton.  They hate metahumans, but its definitely worth looking into.

Ethan

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <05-22-11/0125:54> »
I was thinking about the possibility of using a cyber cult as antagonists in an upcoming adventure. Possibly a group that thinks cyber-limbs and replacements are the natural "evolution" of humans. The belief that humans should make themselves better in any way possible.
Some of the cult members that dont go into public much might have more extreme forms of "enhancement." I.e. replacing legs with and ATV, or spider type legs, etc. Are there any resources for nonstandard cyber replacements or resources for this type of cult?

You may want to read up on "transhumanism" if you haven't already. It's a movement that wants the limitations of the meat removed (and for some, social and cultural limitations as well) . To be human without being confined to a human body. Like in any movement there are widely different views, some believe only in enhancement and augmentation. Others believe it's an evolutionary next step to be truly free.

For more on this matter, look up Eclipse Phase.

An idea: You could place a twist on the organ leggers. Instead of just killing people, they forcibly chrome them up and sell the inferior parts for nuyen to buy more chrome. And it's not the cyberware you can impress the ladies with.

You can also place gecko-tips on some of their 'ware, giving them the ability to hang from ceilings and walls for more freakiness (treads for hands that leave marks on the ceilings, for example). Lots of twisted things you can experiment with... For example, the lone Cybereye doesn't need to be placed in an eyesocket... you can place it anywhere. Fit them with lasers. And make them Ocular Drones... so that "human" is a next of eyes that shoot lasers.

And so forth.