NEWS

The "Undetectable" Gun... or how to sneak a gun on a Balistic flight...

• 143 Replies

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #30 on: <01-05-13/1412:51> »
They are secure enough that the fiction has corporate, criminal and other organizations using them as secure meeting places since apparently nobody can get weapons in.

I'm not just speculating, this has been in the fluff since first edition.

-k

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <01-05-13/1417:21> »
They are secure enough that the fiction has corporate, criminal and other organizations using them as secure meeting places since apparently nobody can get weapons in.

I'm not just speculating, this has been in the fluff since first edition.

-k

You're assuming that it's actually the case and not a good Public Relations department.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <01-05-13/1420:49> »
I'm not assuming anything. I'm going by what's been established in the books. It's not just in the fiction, it's in the descriptive sections of game rules too.

-k

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <01-05-13/1426:12> »
It's still just going way too far to put cyber-ware scanners everywhere pretty much making it impossible to carry a gun anywhere. More importantly, it isn't fun for the players.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <01-05-13/1434:04> »
We're not talking about "everywhere" though.

Just airports.

I just mentioned that cyberware scanners, as written, are so damn cheap.

-k

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <01-05-13/1435:09> »
And the international airports like SeaTac have always been described in Shadowrun as being among of the most secure facilities on the planet.

-k

I just seriously doubt they'd be as secure as a top secret military or corporate facility. You need to remember that 9/11 didn't occur in the SR setting, so the fallout from that never would've happened either.

The OP laid out the security procedures in Jet Set, which apparently include Cyberware scanners.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <01-05-13/1526:39> »
Considering almost any jerk can get their hands on a morissey elan, I'd say most major airports would be ready for it. You probably aren't going to have your cyberware scanned at the mall, or when you walk into a hospital, but certain government and corporate facilities? probably. That's why you have a plan.

There are smart jammers, HERF guns, and specialized drones. There's also social engineering, like someone here mentioned. Also, you could swipe someone's gun once you are inside. You could cause a distraction and sneak through.

Someone that wants to pull stuff like that off needs to be resourceful. You do don't just make plan A, you have plan B, C, D. Relying solely on your tech is not the best idea.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #37 on: <01-05-13/1541:39> »
Actually, if cyberware scanners were going to be ANYWHERE, I'd expect them to be at airports with semi-ballistic flights.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

DamienHollow

« Reply #38 on: <01-05-13/1700:54> »
This has already slipped from my hands, but how does a cyber ware scanner detect a non-smart enabled weapon? it reads for "energy signatures" which to the best of my knowledge a cold firearm does not have.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <01-05-13/1756:15> »
Actually the cyberware scanner and the MAD scanner are the two easiest to defeat. There are weapon modifications that make the gun undetectable.
To MAD scanners, nothing affects cyberware scanners.

Actually you're wrong, easy breakdown allows the pistol to become jewelry pieces or other commonly carried pieces.

If you want to use a stock weapon instead of modding your own, the SA Puzzler turns into 20 pieces that look like jewelry, writing implements and other commonly carried items.
That doesn't make it undetectable, whether it's recognized as a disassembled gun depend on the persons at hand using the scanner and the databases they have access to.

And cyber ware scanner sure as hell will be at every airport worth mentioning.
« Last Edit: <01-05-13/1758:25> by Mäx »
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <01-05-13/1957:49> »
Actually the cyberware scanner and the MAD scanner are the two easiest to defeat. There are weapon modifications that make the gun undetectable. It's just the chem sniffer that can't be automatically defeated.
There are three products to defeat chem sniffers, scaling up from vac seal (hermetic / plastic), low intensity laser (halve detection modifiers based on quantity), and nanocleansers. (destroys all surface traces)

Cyberware scanners are simply defeated by disguising an object as something else, or concealing it within complicated electronics / cyberware.

RC, p33 - 35.

DamienHollow

« Reply #41 on: <01-05-13/2101:21> »
Cyberware scanners are simply defeated by disguising an object as something else, or concealing it within complicated electronics / cyberware.
RC, p33 - 35.

Hence the advantage of the PSK and the  "Scaramanga Special" style weapons.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #42 on: <01-05-13/2116:11> »
Also, the advanced disguise rules in Spy Games. Actually, I'd rather go with them at chargen.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #43 on: <01-07-13/0708:58> »
Do you need the weapon to be used in-fligght at all?
If not, ditch the ammo and just  pick some up from a weapons market when you arrive on the other sade. It'll save the whole issue.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #44 on: <01-07-13/1120:56> »
Do you need the weapon to be used in-fligght at all?
If not, ditch the ammo and just  pick some up from a weapons market when you arrive on the other sade. It'll save the whole issue.
If you dont need the gun in flight and there's a weapons market on the other side, then there would be no need to even bother trying to get a gun onboard.
"An it harm none, do what you will"