NEWS

Why Wired Reflexes

• 78 Replies

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #30 on: <04-03-14/2011:25> »
Changing all "enhancement" to "augmentation" shouldn't cause too much of a problem; the system has other hard-limits built in (every spell that boosts an attribute says it's stopped by the Augmented Limit, and there's the hard-cap of 5d6 initiative dice).
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

martinchaen

« Reply #31 on: <04-03-14/2056:19> »
Changing all "enhancement" to "augmentation" shouldn't cause too much of a problem; the system has other hard-limits built in (every spell that boosts an attribute says it's stopped by the Augmented Limit, and there's the hard-cap of 5d6 initiative dice).
Agreed.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <04-03-14/2140:58> »
My guess is the editor was trying to stress that boosters never stack with Reaction Enhancers and used a different word to distinguish it from Wires, but yeah, I'm ruling it the same way.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #33 on: <04-04-14/1014:28> »
It definitely makes sense.  It'd be nice to see the errata document clarify these typos in a future update.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <04-04-14/1319:35> »
I was under the impression that wired reflexes included effectively replacing your spinal column with a fiber optic cable, or something similarly invasive.  So wouldn't getting your wireless reflexes getting bricked leave you paralyzed?

martinchaen

« Reply #35 on: <04-04-14/1322:55> »
Blue Rose
It might have been described as such in past editions (I seem to remember something similar), but in SR5 Wired Reflexes are described as follows.

Quote from: SR5 p455
This highly invasive, painful, life-changing operation adds a multitude of neural boosters and adrenaline stimulators in strategic locations throughout your body work to catapult you into a whole new world where everything around you seems to move in slow motion.
So no, it doesn't replace anything, it just adds to what's already there, at least as I read it.

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <04-04-14/1352:27> »
I was under the impression that wired reflexes included effectively replacing your spinal column with a fiber optic cable, or something similarly invasive.  So wouldn't getting your wireless reflexes getting bricked leave you paralyzed?
Wired Reflexes has always been described as implanted neural boosters and adrenaline stimulators.

It is Reaction Enhancers which mention replacing part of the spinal column (not the spinal cord) with superconducting material - and SR5 clarifies that as specific, isolated vertebrae.

In both cases, there is no reason to assume that the implant failing has any greater effect that removing the benefits of the implant.

...now, a move-by-wire system on the other hand, is a two part thing; putting your body into a constant state of seizure, and an expert system to harness that seizure. A particularly nit-picky player might make a case for bricking the expert system but not whatever it is that causes the seizure so that the augmented target would be stuck with the seizure.

Me... I'm all for letting a game be a game, even if the result is something that doesn't seem quite "realistic."

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #37 on: <04-04-14/1359:27> »
Given how a wireless Move-By-Wire system likely will function as the combination plus Skillwires, while only costing the essence of WR, I'd say that in that case bricking->paralysis is a well-deserved consequence, but I can be cold like that.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <04-04-14/2356:23> »
Given how a wireless Move-By-Wire system likely will function as the combination plus Skillwires, while only costing the essence of WR, I'd say that in that case bricking->paralysis is a well-deserved consequence, but I can be cold like that.

I don't see that as being cold, so much as being logical: There has to be some consequence, other than essence, for having so much of your bodily functions being run by machines.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <04-05-14/1516:24> »
I don't see that as being cold, so much as being logical: There has to be some consequence, other than essence, for having so much of your bodily functions being run by machines.
Simple logical consequence, particularly when the fluff for 3 editions has said that your very movements are changed once you have Move By Wire. When your unconscious movement is different, that means you have a deeper level of man-machine tie-in.

As for the enhancement/augmentation thing, if I was the editor I'd have used "enhancement" to refer to anything (drugs, magic, 'ware) that boosts something, and only used "augmentation" for 'ware. I recall 4E being a little more strict about "magic IP boosting doesn't stack with 'ware or other magic, 'ware IP boosting doesn't stack with magic or other 'ware", with drugs being ambiguous and I think should be interpreted as stacking with anything since they carry addiction as a possible consequence.
« Last Edit: <04-05-14/1635:31> by Mithlas »

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #40 on: <04-05-14/1534:39> »
I agree with how drug bonuses work, Mithlas.  They also don't mention they're limited by augmented limits anywhere.  As you said though, they have addiction as a consequence.  How much of one is largely up to the GM, but it's still a built-in function that stops them from being relied upon too heavily.

I wouldn't rule that bricking any kind of implants has an effect on the target beyond removing their ability to use it (which can already be a huge downside).  Because I like hackers being able to brick stuff, but I don't want street samurai players to have yet another reason to bitch about wireless bonuses--  Especially when RAW there's no precedent for stuff like that happening.  Like...  Anywhere.  Wireless matrix is only a decade or so years old in SR, but in that time I don't think I've read anything mentioning (in fiction or rules) a runner getting geeked because his 'ware killed him from the inside out.  Runners dieing because they suddenly lose that edge at a critical moment?  Sure.  But unless it's biofeedback sent straight to the brain via Black IC or Black Hammer, nobody's just dropped dead (yet) from somebody crashing an internal implant.

Besides, Michael, aren't you one of the people who's against bricking having effects like that?  I recall you stating before how you felt a bricked smartgun should still work as a gun just fine, but I could be misremembering.

If there's even some JackPoint rumors about that stuff happening though, I retract my statement.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #41 on: <04-05-14/1740:09> »
Besides, Michael, aren't you one of the people who's against bricking having effects like that?  I recall you stating before how you felt a bricked smartgun should still work as a gun just fine, but I could be misremembering.
An External smartgun, yes, and Wired Reflexes shutting down shouldn't mean you go down. But Move-by-Wire is a different beast altogether.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <04-05-14/2241:01> »
If there's even some JackPoint rumors about that stuff happening though, I retract my statement.
Plan 9 continues to be invited to JackPoint, I'm sure there's rumors of something like that somewhere. Whether there's any in-universe credibility I don't know. Does remind me of a question implied earlier: what would happen if an EMP went off in the middle of a shadowrun team? The rigger and hacker would almost certainly be down, but how bad would it hit the cybered street sam?

As to having a bricked Move By Wire, I would never have that suddenly walk you into bullets, or even stop you from running away, but it would change your game plan from "fight" to "run and get repairs".

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #43 on: <04-05-14/2315:14> »
To answer your EMP question:

Cyberware is left OK, as the EMP does not hurt it.

SOME gear may be fried, some not. All depends on if it is shielded or not. (some gear actually states if it is EMP shielded!)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #44 on: <04-06-14/0514:45> »
To answer your EMP question:

Cyberware is left OK, as the EMP does not hurt it.

SOME gear may be fried, some not. All depends on if it is shielded or not. (some gear actually states if it is EMP shielded!)

I'm not questioning your correctness, but I would like to know the reference for cyberware continuing to work.
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0