NEWS

Why Wired Reflexes

• 78 Replies

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <04-03-14/0854:03> »
There is, of course, the slight issue that the description of Wired Reflexes is phrased in such a way that one could argue that RAW it's allowed to stack with the Increase Reflexes spell:
While Synaptic boosters "cannot be combined with any other form of Reaction or Initiative enhancement", the restriction for Wired Reflexes is that they "are incompatible with augmentations that affect Reaction or Initiative". On the magical side, while the Improved Reflexes power  says "the increase cannot be combined with other technological or magical increases  to Initiative", the Increase Reflexes spell doesn't say it's incompatible with anything except itself.
Does this mean Wired Reflexes and the Increase Reflexes can stack, since neither says it's incompatible with the other, or is this simply another phrasing mistake?
Yes.
Aaron in the initiative response what exactly are you saying yes to?
The first part of the question.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #16 on: <04-03-14/0920:52> »
Wired are decent choices, but at the 150k for rating 2 and a whopping 3 ESS, you might as well pony up the extra cash and go for the Synaptic 2, saving you a massive 2 ESS to spend on other useful stuff like dermal plating/orthoskin/cyber eyes etc
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

martinchaen

« Reply #17 on: <04-03-14/1051:25> »
On the other hand, Alpha grade Wired Reflexes Rating 1 (10R) and Used grade Reaction Enhancers 3 (11R) is a decent deal for a starting character as well; +4 REA and +1d6 Initiative Dice for 76050 nuyen and 2.725 Essence, although you do leave yourself vulnerable to hacking this way.

By comparison, Synaptic Booster Rating 1 is 0.5 Essence and 95000; it can't be detected by scanners or hacked, but you also lose out on 3 REA.

For a Rigger, I'd stick with the Reaction Enhancers on their own, purely for the added driver skills.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #18 on: <04-03-14/1052:47> »
On the other hand, Alpha grade Wired Reflexes Rating 1 (10R) and Used grade Reaction Enhancers 3 (11R) is a decent deal for a starting character as well; +4 REA and +1d6 Initiative Dice for 76050 nuyen and 2.725 Essence, although you do leave yourself vulnerable to hacking this way.

By comparison, Synaptic Booster Rating 1 is 0.5 Essence and 95000; it can't be detected by scanners or hacked, but you also lose out on 3 REA.

For a Rigger, I'd stick with the Reaction Enhancers on their own, purely for the added driver skills.
+1
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #19 on: <04-03-14/1057:40> »

So true.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <04-03-14/1438:42> »
Wr1 > sb1
Sb3 > wr3

Another advantage of wr is that they are compatible with magic and drugs. Sb are not.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <04-03-14/1443:39> »
Another advantage of wr is that they are compatible with magic and drugs. Sb are not.

This is probably something I missed, but why are Synaptic Boosters not compatible with drugs and/or magic?

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

martinchaen

« Reply #22 on: <04-03-14/1454:09> »
Quote from: SR5 p461
The synaptic booster cannot be combined with any other form of Reaction or Initiative enhancement.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <04-03-14/1503:34> »
Quote from: SR5 p461
The synaptic booster cannot be combined with any other form of Reaction or Initiative enhancement.

That makes sense.  I've always read that line as being identical to this one:

Quote from: SR5 p455
Wired Reflexes are incompatible with augmentations that affect Reaction and Initiative.

A strict interpretation would indicate that Synaptic Boosters aren't compatible with drugs or magic, while Wired Reflexes are.  However, I have always thought that drugs and magic "buffs" counted as augmentations.  Your interpretation makes more sense though.

martinchaen

« Reply #24 on: <04-03-14/1520:30> »
Yeah, that's part of the problem; the terms "augmentation" and "enhancement" are used interchangeably in the core book, with only certain items/spells having restrictions.

Wired Reflexes and Synaptic Boosters are good examples of discrepancies created as a result of this inconsistent use.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #25 on: <04-03-14/1556:51> »
This is probably something I missed, but why are Synaptic Boosters not compatible with drugs and/or magic?
It's a rule-lawyer thing, and truth be told I don't see any plausible reason for it, so suspect it's just a matter of ill-phrasing.

By the way, Augmentations was stated to be solely Ware by Aaron. Magic and drugs don't count.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

martinchaen

« Reply #26 on: <04-03-14/1604:19> »
It's a rule-lawyer thing, and truth be told I don't see any plausible reason for it, so suspect it's just a matter of ill-phrasing.

By the way, Augmentations was stated to be solely Ware by Aaron. Magic and drugs don't count.
Oh, good, I missed that Aaron has provided a reading of "Augmentations"; what about enhancements, though?

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <04-03-14/1654:31> »

Given the consistency (or lack thereof) of phrasing throughout the book, I'm in complete agreement.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <04-03-14/1718:32> »
in this case the book is actually pretty consistent (for once).
probably over 20 references to "augmentation"
...and iirc they all talk about cyberware or bioware (and not magic).

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <04-03-14/1950:05> »
Yeah, the problem word isn't augmentation, it's enhancement.  Specifically, "the synaptic booster cannot be combined with other forms of Reaction or Initiative enhancement" vs. "wired reflexes cannot be combined with augmentations that affect Reaction or Initiative."  Drugs and magic obviously aren't augmentations, so they stack with wires, but "enhancement" is a little for vague, so one could read that they do not stack with boosters.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.