NEWS

The Death of Cybereyes?

• 73 Replies

SoulGambit

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <08-28-13/1538:09> »
I have yet to see a Samurai at my table not go for Cybereyes, for whatever reason. Them stacking with goggles fully might be a good reason.

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <08-28-13/1542:04> »
Control Rigs, implanted comlinks and implanted cyberdecks also provide DNI. Datajacks also provide 1 point of noise reduction, data storage, about a meter of retractable cable and my personal favorite the Ghost in the Shell Anime style direct datajack user to datajack user (via cable) communication that is immune to radio interception or eavesdropping.
« Last Edit: <08-28-13/1544:19> by T-Hatchet »

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #32 on: <08-28-13/1611:30> »
If I am going to pay 0.2 Essence for the better version of Smartlink I may as well grab the better version of flare compensation and an included image link. After all I have had enough of strong blows or Magicians using Magic Fingers sending my goggles/glasses/contacts flying. (there is a reason those options are cheaper)

Emil_Barr

• Chummer
« Reply #33 on: <08-28-13/1620:03> »
Datajack gives you DNI, which is sort of what it's supposed to do.

By RAW DNI doesnt really give you any advantages anymore.

Then how do you explain slaving and things like the datajack bonus?

Nevermind. I retract my statement. I drew a diagram and have come to a better understanding. A device can make a direct connection to anything within its signal.

HOWEVER if the matrix is nothing more than all devices interconnected to one another then...

How can you possibly seperate the matrix into grids? Wouldnt one person with a connection to multiple grids give everyone access to all of them?

What purpose do matrix providers serve? IRL, they give you access to the infrustructure. (cable lines) But in the new matrix every device adds itself as part of that infrustructure. Perhaps it works like cellphone carriers disabling mobile hotspots on phones without paying? They dont do anythig, except give you permission to do what you could do anyway.

The datajack doesnt make sense either way though. If something is jamming a device, it would have done so before the signal ever reached the datajack.

*edit* Also, if noise affects communications outside of mutual signal range, how is anyone in Seattle able to conduct business with anyone in Hong Kong?
« Last Edit: <08-28-13/1623:18> by Emil_Barr »

calaen

• Newb
« Reply #34 on: <08-28-13/1631:50> »
Emil - satlinks are a good start for doing business over long distance, and the hardline does still exist, there just happens to be a lot of transmitters.  I suspect that altitude may help as well.  As to why the Datajack cuts through things that way?  I suspect that is just how it is designed - and if we assume it is using some of our meat as machinery, it could be flipping signals very quickly, so as to find unjammed or relatively clear frequencies to transmit off of.

Bit of a stretch by today's standards, but it is the 2070's we're talking about.

As to seperating things into grids, I suspect that has to do with coding communications.  If you have all the wireless things talking to each other, you might be able to set them up to talk using some sort of IFF transmission sent along with the rest of the communication... or, even have them speak and translate different programming languages entirely - which would fall right into line with GOD's objectives.

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #35 on: <08-28-13/1705:38> »
Emi there has been some significant changes to what the matrix is between 4E and 5E. The most notable change is that the matrix is not a free sharing of communications anymore (well public grid is but that is so slow that the cross grid penalties on top make for a big disadvantage to matrix actions.) Even the public grid has GOD overseeing what actions are taken there and if GOD notices and finds you your deck gets roasted and you are dump out of the matrix (until you can reboot/use a fresh device) The signal stat has been dropped as well.
Aaron said else where
I've found that the folks who have the most confusion about the SR5 wireless rules are the folks who know the most about the SR4 wireless rules. This is probiably because the SR5 Matrix rules were rebuilt from the ground up, so a lot of SR4 concepts and assumptions are either contradicted or completely absent in SR5.

Emil_Barr

• Chummer
« Reply #36 on: <08-28-13/1716:37> »
Im aware that there is not such thing as signal rating. Thats why I never mentioned it.

I dont see how there is no free exchange of information when every device interfaces with and routes messages from all of the devices within signal range.(100 m). I dont see how there is no free exchange, when the best explaination for many of the wireless bonuses is cloud computing and sensor data swapping.

The matrix doesnt seem to be fundamentally different than it was in 4e, except now GOD aparently has control and has instituted grids. Something which as far as I am aware, we have no idea how they actually work.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <08-28-13/1916:06> »
You dont really need a datajack. Everything communicates wirelessly. It really serves no purpose anymore.
Your brain can't communicate wireless.
You need a data jack or trodes for that (or an internal commlink / cyberdeck / control rig).

Smartgun have a wirless bonus. so you might want to have wireless ON there.
Eyes dont have a wireless bonus.
Nor does smartlink in your eyes.
Data jack have a wireless bonus so there is a point in having it wireless ON.

Do what you want, but I would have wireless ON in my data jack
Wireless OFF in my eyes and my smartlink
Wireless ON in my smartgun.

This give me +2 accuracy, access to the camera feed to fire around corners with -3 dice, my  smartgun have wireless matrix access which give me +1 row up on wind and +2 attack pool, i have DNI access and wireless matrix access which give me eject clip and change fire mode as free actions. I also have 1 noise reduction since my data jack have wireless access to the Matrix... might come in handy if someone tries to jam the wireless signal between my data jack and my smartgun....

and if they manage to jam the signal or if i am under attack from the Matrix i can go wireless OFF on my data jack and smartgun and just attach the cable from my data jack to my smartgun and still have +2 accuracy and access to the camera feed to fire around corners with -3 dice (as well as information about ammo, heat build up etc. represented by the +2 accuracy i guess).

....and IF my device should ever be bricked it take less than an hour and a cheap toolkit to repair it enough to restore full functionallity.
« Last Edit: <08-28-13/1933:19> by Xenon »

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <08-29-13/0501:52> »
If Your Eyes and Smartlink is OFF how can they receive Wireless Data from the Smartgun ?
 I doubt that this works out like You want it .
I guess You have to open your Cybereyes and Smartlink to the wonderful World of Wireless...Wayhem

with a Wonderful Wance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #39 on: <08-29-13/0600:38> »
If Your Eyes and Smartlink is OFF how can they receive Wireless Data from the Smartgun ?
 I doubt that this works out like You want it .
I guess You have to open your Cybereyes and Smartlink to the wonderful World of Wireless...Wayhem

with a Wonderful Wance
Medicineman
I would generally assume that two pieces of hardware, in this case the datajack and the smartlink, that are physically connected would be able to communicate via a physical connection. This is after all how all that cyberware can keep working when you turn wireless too off. (I posted the rules section relating to such connections earlier) If you feel that having your cybereyes connected to your datajack should open your cybereyes to wireless attack that may be something to discus.
I would surmise thought that for a device to be subject to wireless attack that device needs to be using wireless communication otherwise a device could achieve sufficient connection to the matrix via a wired connection to other devices which are using wireless communication to obtain wireless bonuses and the rules clearly state that for a device to gain wireless bonuses that device needs to be using wireless communication.
The fact you can have an implanted comlink in your cyberarm provide you with a DNI for no essence cost beyond that needed for the cyberarm would to me indicate that what ever system allows the neural control of the cyberarm also allows for other types of communication.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <08-29-13/0647:26> »
In the same way my smartgun would talk to my smartlink if i attach a wire from my smartgun to my data jack...?

Smartgun system p.433:
...The smartgun features are accessed either by universal access port cable to an imaging device (like glasses, goggles, or a datajack for someone with cybereyes) or by a wireless connection working in concert with direct neural interface...
Direct Neural Interface = Data Jack.
So either you use a cable to your data jack or you use wireless to your data jack.
- Directly to your eyes without passing your data jack or internal commlink does not even seem to be supported if you go by RAW.

Here is another pass in the book. Augmentation p.451
Besides their wireless functionality, almost all cyberware devices are equipped with a neural interface (not to be confused with DNI) that lets you mentally activate and control their functions. You can use this in place of wireless control, preventing wireless hacking, as long as all of the “moving parts” are connected to your nervous system. An item that has a wireless bonus, however, can only gain that full level of functionality if wireless functionality is active.
Since cybereyes and smartlink does not have wireless bonus i don't see why I could not use the neural interface instead of wireless connection to have my smartlink talk to my data jack. My data jack have a wireless bonus. So does my smartgun. So I let both of them talk wireless with each other and the Matrix as a whole.
« Last Edit: <08-29-13/0712:07> by Xenon »

Emil_Barr

• Chummer
« Reply #41 on: <08-29-13/0705:22> »
If the wireless is on in your datajack, why couldnt your eyes be hacked directly, since they now have greater matrix access though the datajack?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <08-29-13/0716:07> »
If the wireless is on in your datajack, why couldnt your eyes be hacked directly, since they now have greater matrix access though the datajack?
As long as the device have wireless ON and access to the Matrix as a whole then you can hack it. This is RAW.

There is no reference I can find that let you hack wireless OFF devices connected to the neural interface or through the DNI. Not saying it is impossible, but there is no rule that support it as far as I can see.

Emil_Barr

• Chummer
« Reply #43 on: <08-29-13/0729:10> »
It would imply to me that, to make their internal systems immune to wireless hacking, corps would just have to have a single wireless access point to give everything on their wired networks matrix access and the wired network would be immune to direct wireless hacking

If that were the case, why would the corps not litter their facilites with "wireless access ports"(so employees can still work wirelessly) and keep the other equipment wired. Youd have less objects to defend (thus you can do so more effecticely) and it would probably be cheaper.

And isnt that basically how things worked in 4e?
« Last Edit: <08-29-13/0736:26> by Emil_Barr »

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #44 on: <08-29-13/0747:07> »
It would imply to me that, to make their internal systems immune to wireless hacking, corps would just have to have a single wireless access point to give everything on their wired networks matrix access and the wired network would be immune to direct wireless hacking

If that were the case, why would the corps not litter their facilites with "wireless access ports"(so employees can still work wirelessly) and keep the other equipment wired. Youd have less objects to defend (thus you can do so more effecticely) and it would probably be cheaper.

And isnt that basically how things worked in 4e?
I think you may find that the internal computing power of a corp network is sufficient to load an invading persona into as opposed to the internal computing power of a cybersamurai's brain