NEWS

The Death of Cybereyes?

• 73 Replies

Crazy Ivan

• Chummer
« on: <08-28-13/0946:33> »
For me, the cybereyes were always one of the pieces of augmentation that defined the shadowrun/cyberpunk style setting. So it saddened me to see that 4th edition had essentially made the standard to not use cybereyes unless you were a mage! By using glasses/contacts/goggles, there was no point in having the implants performed since you could get them all done cheaper, faster, safer, and without essence.

Granted, I haven't read through enough of 5th edition to see if this has changed. But am I the only one who was saddened by this?

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-28-13/0955:54> »
Cybereyes in SR5 are even MORE expensive ,so you will encounter even less People with Cybereyes in SR5 /2075

with a rare Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Silence

• Omae
  • I swear, I'm innocent. Just ask the nuns.
« Reply #2 on: <08-28-13/0956:24> »
*chuckles*Actually, the main reason to get cybereyes is to have those mods as a permanent part of you, which the other optics don't allow.  Also, most other characters have no problem giving up some Essence for that.
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend" - every instructor out there

"Maybe in your case, but he's a great buddy I'm leaving behind." - Siouxsie

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-28-13/0959:44> »
I think the relative value of cybereyes versus glasses or contacts is highly dependent on how the GM approaches the game. In a game where the players are always initiating conflict and never without their gear the two systems are roughly equivalent. In a game where players might be attacked, or forced into situations that they are not prepared for the Cybereye has some advantages.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-28-13/1027:08> »
smartlink as an eyeware modification to natural eyes or in cybernetic eyes give +2 attack pool dice
- instead of only +1 dice if you have it in an external imaging device such as goggles or contacts.

flare compensation as an eyeware modification to natural eyes or in cybernetic eyes reduce the -4 penalty from a flash pak to -1
- instead of -2 dice if you it in an external imaging device such as goggles or contacts.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-28-13/1039:48> »
smartlink as an eyeware modification to natural eyes or in cybernetic eyes give +2 attack pool dice
- instead of only +1 dice if you have it in an external imaging device such as goggles or contacts.
But only if your willing to make them hackable, witch is a much bigger risk for eyes then glasses.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #6 on: <08-28-13/1057:28> »
But only if your willing to make them hackable, witch is a much bigger risk for eyes then glasses.
Are they considered one unit or are they discrete elements? In other words, can you have a wireless enabled cyberware smartlink but wireless off cybereyes? If not discrete, I guess the best all around answer would be cyber flare/smartlink without cybereyes and everything else in glasses/contacts/goggles.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Emil_Barr

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <08-28-13/1105:06> »
Are they considered one unit or are they discrete elements? In other words, can you have a wireless enabled cyberware smartlink but wireless off cybereyes? If not discrete, I guess the best all around answer would be cyber flare/smartlink without cybereyes and everything else in glasses/contacts/goggles.

With the changes to how electronics communicate with eachother,  I really have no reason to think the eyes wireless *doesnt* need to be on to comminicate with its enhancements.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-28-13/1237:31> »
cyberware communicate with a neural interface (not to be confused with DNI).

I think your smartgun communicate with your data jack and not with your eyes (either with a wire or wireless).
(and this is probably also why data jack have noise reduction while your eyes does not)

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-28-13/1250:24> »
With the changes to how electronics communicate with eachother,  I really have no reason to think the eyes wireless *doesnt* need to be on to comminicate with its enhancements.
Not sure how I would rule. With that rationale, a cyberarm would have to be wireless enabled in order to take advantage of the cyberarm gyromount's wireless bonus (in addition to the gyromount). Seems a little odd.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-28-13/1338:03> »

flare compensation as an eyeware modification to natural eyes or in cybernetic eyes reduce the -4 penalty from a flash pak to -1
- instead of -2 dice if you it in an external imaging device such as goggles or contacts.
but only for those that are so stupid as to  keep their Cybereyes WiFi open
Bricked Cybereyes make You Blind and give You physical Damage Damage

HokaHey
Medicineman

Emil_Barr

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <08-28-13/1345:31> »
cyberware communicate with a neural interface (not to be confused with DNI).

I think your smartgun communicate with your data jack and not with your eyes (either with a wire or wireless).
(and this is probably also why data jack have noise reduction while your eyes does not)

You dont really need a datajack. Everything communicates wirelessly. It really serves no purpose anymore.

With the changes to how electronics communicate with eachother,  I really have no reason to think the eyes wireless *doesnt* need to be on to comminicate with its enhancemoents.
Not sure how I would rule. With that rationale, a cyberarm would have to be wireless enabled in order to take advantage of the cyberarm gyromount's wireless bonus (in addition to the gyromount). Seems a little odd.

Not really. They cyberarm doesnt have to communicate with the gyromount. Unlike your eyes which have to communicate with your smartlink/imagelink

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <08-28-13/1353:37> »

You dont really need a datajack. Everything communicates wirelessly. It really serves no purpose anymore.

The purpose of the datajack is the noise reduction ether to prevent your wireless bonuses switching off due to noise or to reduce noise due to range/static/spam that is making life harder for your Decker or Rigger

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <08-28-13/1401:03> »
With the changes to how electronics communicate with eachother,  I really have no reason to think the eyes wireless *doesnt* need to be on to comminicate with its enhancemoents.

Not really. They cyberarm doesnt have to communicate with the gyromount. Unlike your eyes which have to communicate with your smartlink/imagelink
Why do the eyes need to communicate wirelessly? It seems they would just need to receive information from the smartlink to display, which should be able to be accomplished without wireless (at least between the smartlink and the eyes). I also am a bit suspicious of the claim that the gyromount wouldn't need to communicate with the cyberarm at all. (I'd throw in pretty much all of the other cyber accessories with wireless here as well).
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <08-28-13/1406:13> »
Why do the eyes need to communicate wirelessly?
because thats the new Default Line for everything in SR5

HougH!
Medicineman