NEWS

(SR5) Decker Questions

• 14 Replies

Edit132

• Newb
« on: <02-26-16/1753:42> »
    Hey guys, I'm completely new to Shadowrun (but not to other rpgs) and had a few questions concering the creation and playstyle of a decker-esk character.

Character Building:  I have no idea how to properly build a decker. I've done a lot of searching but only found other peoples build which don't exactly explain how or why they chose the things they chose. As a new player, this hinders me a bit unless I plan on copying a build directly, instead of making my own choices.

Playing the Role: I know the jist of a Decker, which is basically a cyber support role. However, I'm not exactly sure how to actually play a decker in that role.(Or atleast, do it well) Any guides would be wonderful. Any tips or advice would also be greatly appreciated.

More detailed questions:
    • I'm looking to be a support character in every sense of the word but I also don't want to be hiding/useless in combat. Is that viable? Or would I only be hurting myself/my team by spreading my focus too thinly?
    • I noticed specific types of Deckers as I've searched around. Technomancer, Rigger, Face. Are any of those types I should look futher into? Or do they get further away from the support role i'm looking to fill, or do it worse?
    • Every Decker build i've looked at takes Resources(A), Skills(B/C), Attributes(C/B), Metatype(D), Special(E). What's the reason for that order? As a side question. Would Sum-Ten or Karma work better than priority?
    • Which stats are important to a Decker and in what moderation? Why those and that allocation? Same question for skills, while we're at it. If you feel like it, toss in Positive/Negitive qualities, too.
  • Gear - I don't need a detailed list so much as what to look for, myself? Which numbers should I be looking at/for and what's worth that higher number?

thanks
« Last Edit: <02-26-16/1934:09> by Edit132 »

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-26-16/2102:22> »
Based on lot of people here, you want high computer specialty in matrix perception hacking special hack on the fly and software for data bombs (specialization) possibly electronic warfare hardware you don't need too high unless you want to jack out a lot and Cybercombat can be low deal is to stay under the radar being able to spot other people and hack on the fly them to sneak marks on their devices hosts to gain access.so you will end a good sleaze possibly noise reduction too so antennaes data Jacks Receiver signal scrub sneak stealth vector filter would all be good idea to get

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-26-16/2139:30> »

You can go many ways. You don't need A Resources.

Skills B Human(5) C Resources C Attributes C Adept D for example can work for a decker.

Seriously, the a Little Hornet, 3 Antennae, a Datajack and a Smartlink and you're good to go.

You buy Automatics [SMG] 6[+2] and you can contribute in meatspace combat. You still have 29/5 for your decking skills.

5PPs to increase initiative, improved ability(hacking) 3 and combat sense 1+.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-26-16/2200:54> »
    Playing the Role: I know the jist of a Decker, which is basically a cyber support role.
    You don't know the list of a Decker, if that's your definition. A Decker is first and foremost a hacker.

• I'm looking to be a support character in every sense of the word but I also don't want to be hiding/useless in combat. Is that viable? Or would I only be hurting myself/my team by spreading my focus too thinly?
    It's possible, with ware, to be a pretty good shot as a decker.
    • I noticed specific types of Deckers as I've searched around. Technomancer, Rigger, Face. Are any of those types I should look futher into? Or do they get further away from the support role i'm looking to fill, or do it worse?
    Technomancers are not Deckers. Riggers are not (necessarily) Deckers. Faces are sure as hell not Deckers. Again, I don't think you really know what Deckers are.

• Every Decker build i've looked at takes Resources(A), Skills(B/C), Attributes(C/B), Metatype(D), Special(E). What's the reason for that order? As a side question. Would Sum-Ten or Karma work better than priority?
    Resources A because decks are stupidly expensive, and then you have to add in other gear and Fake SIN/licenses, etc. Attributes and Skills because they form your dice pools, and Deckers are a skill hungry class. Metatype D and often human because then you get 5 Edge. Magic E, because it's harder to make magic Deckers and probably not a good place for a newbie to start, because you're blending two of the complex subsystems. It can work but it's not good if you're just dipping your toe in to the system.

• Which stats are important to a Decker and in what moderation? Why those and that allocation? Same question for skills, while we're at it. If you feel like it, toss in Positive/Negitive qualities, too.
    Stats: LOG and INT are the most important, followed by good WIL. If you want to be able to do anything in the meat, then AGI and REA. At least 3 BOD is nice. STR and CHA can be dumped.

Hacking and Computer are the most important skills for a Decker, followed by Electronic Warfare and Hardware. Software is important only in a specific niche which is why people often rely on 1 point and a specialty in Data Bombs. Everyone wants Perception and a gun skill.

Codeslinger, Perfect Time, and Overclocker are the best PQs for a decker.
    Playability > verisimilitude.

Edit132

• Newb
    « Reply #4 on: <02-26-16/2216:26> »
    Technomancers are not Deckers. Riggers are not (necessarily) Deckers. Faces are sure as hell not Deckers. Again, I don't think you really know what Deckers are.

I didn't mean directly as a Decker, I meant as a subtype of Decker. I've seen Technomancer and Decker builds that look similar to straight Decker. Then again, I didn't don't have a firm grasp of everything just yet. As for face, also meant as a Decker/Face combo.

Resources A because decks are stupidly expensive, and then you have to add in other gear and Fake SIN/licenses, etc. Attributes and Skills because they form your dice pools, and Deckers are a skill hungry class. Metatype D and often human because then you get 5 Edge. Magic E, because it's harder to make magic Deckers and probably not a good place for a newbie to start, because you're blending two of the complex subsystems. It can work but it's not good if you're just dipping your toe in to the system.

Stats: LOG and INT are the most important, followed by good WIL. If you want to be able to do anything in the meat, then AGI and REA. At least 3 BOD is nice. STR and CHA can be dumped.

Hacking and Computer are the most important skills for a Decker, followed by Electronic Warfare and Hardware. Software is important only in a specific niche which is why people often rely on 1 point and a specialty in Data Bombs. Everyone wants Perception and a gun skill.

Codeslinger, Perfect Time, and Overclocker are the best PQs for a decker.

Thats pretty helpful, thanks. Any tips on gear, too? Should I get a Vech or Drone? Or should I let riggers stick to those?

&#24525;

« Reply #5 on: <02-26-16/2257:03> »
    Starting with the priorities first, most deckers have E in the Special column as most don't want (or can't) to bother with magic. Their are few Mage Deckers, however they come with another level of complexity which I suggest against trying to implement for your first character. On the other end, Resources almost always is at A because decks are expensive. Of course you'll want to buy programs with your deck, possibly modules if you have Data Trails. Following the deck players often buy cyber/bioware to enhance their stats and capabilities.

This leaves Skills, Metatype, and Attributes. Edge is a powerful attribute, and deckers can easily need a dash of luck to stay running. Aside from their body, there isn't much incentive to be an Ork or Troll decker. With metatype at D a human can have an Edge of 5.

Now deckers need good attributes for things like Condition Monitors and Dice Pools. By the same token, Skills are also important as a decker can easily need to perform a number of different actions such as fighting against IC, removing Data Bombs, finding hidden icons, and (of course) puttings MARKS on icons. You'll either go B or C with these two. Which goes where depends on how you want to build your character.

Logic and Willpower will be important attributes as they are like your sword and shield in the matrix. Body and Intuition are follow-ups as having a padded Physical monitor and decent Initiative Score are helpful. Short of Reaction, the rest of the Attributes are up to debate as they aren't necessary for hacking. (Reaction also adds to Initiative)

As for qualities I'm a fan of Overclocker from Run Faster. Quick Config from Data Trails is worth mention as the action economy for keyboard jockeys is a vital resource.

Pap Renvela

• Omae
    « Reply #6 on: <02-27-16/0056:52> »
    Starting with the priorities first, most deckers have E in the Special column as most don't want (or can't) to bother with magic. Their are few Mage Deckers, however they come with another level of complexity which I suggest against trying to implement for your first character. On the other end, Resources almost always is at A because decks are expensive. Of course you'll want to buy programs with your deck, possibly modules if you have Data Trails. Following the deck players often buy cyber/bioware to enhance their stats and capabilities.

This leaves Skills, Metatype, and Attributes. Edge is a powerful attribute, and deckers can easily need a dash of luck to stay running. Aside from their body, there isn't much incentive to be an Ork or Troll decker. With metatype at D a human can have an Edge of 5.

Now deckers need good attributes for things like Condition Monitors and Dice Pools. By the same token, Skills are also important as a decker can easily need to perform a number of different actions such as fighting against IC, removing Data Bombs, finding hidden icons, and (of course) puttings MARKS on icons. You'll either go B or C with these two. Which goes where depends on how you want to build your character.

Logic and Willpower will be important attributes as they are like your sword and shield in the matrix. Body and Intuition are follow-ups as having a padded Physical monitor and decent Initiative Score are helpful. Short of Reaction, the rest of the Attributes are up to debate as they aren't necessary for hacking. (Reaction also adds to Initiative)

As for qualities I'm a fan of Overclocker from Run Faster. Quick Config from Data Trails is worth mention as the action economy for keyboard jockeys is a vital resource.

You forgot Perfect Time... helps in always having your highest array attribute as Firewall when its not your turn.

Jahrl Mirkson

• Newb
    • Lurk, lurk, lurk.
    « Reply #7 on: <02-27-16/0115:20> »
      First, welcome to Shadowrun. Second, if you haven't, I highly recomend geting the Data Trails source book if you plan to be a decker. It has lots of goodies to make your job easier.
      Now on to the meat. While the previous comments are right, you should try to avoid cybercombat, you do not want to neglect it. I can't tell you how many times a run has gone sideways and I needed to bring down the hammer on a spider or defense node/ICE. For that eventuality I recomend having the configurator program with a full offensive load out preprogramed. That way you can be ready to rumble with a single action instead of having to spend several combat rounds switching everything out.
      Next, lets talk decks. While the ones in the core book all have variable arrays, Data Trails has "prebuilt" decks with fixed attributes. These are generally cheaper than an array deck of simmilar device rating. The downside is of course that if you bring the wrond type of deck to the party you are going to be screwed.
      For main skills I generally put the priority as hacking, computer, cybercombat/hardware, electronic warfare, and finally software. A note, having a decent hardware skill is a necessity for changing the ownership of... "acquired" devices. A minimum pool of 15 is recommended to allow you to buy hits to accomplish this. Trust me. You do not want your looted gear squacking it location and leading its previous owners back to your doorstep.
      Secondary skills. This one is a little trickier. Perception, as has been mentioned, is highly valuable(though matrix perception is based on computer); and you most definitely need a weapon skill. My recommendation however is for pistols. They are cheaper, easier to acquire, and if you are busted carrying one its easier to get the cops to look the other way. Gymnastics is a solid choice as it grants you better defense in combat. For your secondary specialty with logic being your main attribute you should look towards other logic bassed skills. First aid is useful, but can be covered with a high rating med kit. The other medical skills are very rarely ever useful. Demolitions... well, I might be biased, but I've had to default defuse far too many bombs in this game. For the rest weigh them carefully against what you want to do, and what the rest of your team is lacking.
      In combat deckers can actually be quite useful. If you get marks on an enemy's pan you can do all kinds of things to screw with them. The most common are ejecting the clips in their guns, bricking cybereyes/optics, and the ever popular slagging of drones. Of course sometimes a more subltle touch can get you better results like, oh, say, tweaking their targeting systems so that they shoot their allies instead of you.
      On to gear. Don't forget to get basic matrix gear; trodes, ar gloves, and the like. I can't stress that enough. For hacking equipment it pays to look at dongles from Data Trails. They can be used to give comlinks matrix attributes that they would otherwise lack; for quick and dirty hacking when you don't have your deck. The same book also has a number of deck/comlink modifications. When it comes to 'ware cerebral boosters are a good basic choice. If you plan to do any significant AR decking synaptic boosters/wired reflexes are almost required.
      Most of the best qualities have been covered, but I'd like to add Go Big or Go Home. It is ideal for those situations when you need a lot of marks on a target in a hurry.
      Hm... that's probably enough for basic decker advice. Once you've made a character and gone on a few runs you can start getting into the complicated stuff.
    Ninja vanish!
    *BAMF*
    *cough**cough**cough*

Missions character: Brick House
    Titles: Daddy Killer, Dragon Hacker

Pap Renvela

• Omae
    « Reply #8 on: <02-27-16/0259:26> »
    If you have perfect time and overclocker, all you need is a Little Hornet with a modified array for just over 90k: w/overclocker it'll be 7-3-1-1. During you use a free acton to put the 7 in whatever attribute you need, do your action and then use the second free action to set the 7 to firewall.

You have to have more than 21 DP to need a limit over 7- so spending 200k+ on the deck is unnecessary for most deckers.

BTW, below is a sample Adept AR Decker.
    [spoiler]
    Meta   D   Human(3)   
    Attributes   B   20   
    Magic   D   Adept 2   
    Skills   B   36\5   
    Resources C   140k   

BOD   3      
    AGI   5      
    REA   3(6)      
    STR   1      
    WIL   3      
    LOG   5      
    INT   6      
    CHA   2      
    MR   6      
    Edg   2      
    Init   11+4d6      
    AR Init   11+5d6      

Qualities         
    Perfect Time         
    Overclocker         
    Quick Config         
    Code of Honor:Like A Boss         
     Creature of Comfort- Middle Lifestyle         

Skills         
    Automatics [SMG] 6[+2}         
    Electroncs SG 5         
    Electronics Warfare 3         
    First Aid 6         
    Hacking[Hosts] 6[+2]         
    Perecption[Visual] 3[+2]         
    Sneaking[Urban] 6[+2]         

Knowledge Skills         
    22 Points         

Adept Powers         
    Attribute Boost(AGI)[1]         
    Combat Sense[1]         
    Facial Sculpt[1]         
    Imporved Ability(Hacking)[3]         
    Improved Reflexes[3]         

Gear         
    Ltlle Hornet w/modified Array 6-3-1-1         
       Multidimensional Coprocessor      
    (1) Electronic Parts         
    48900 for whatever you want.         

5 Karma Unspent         
    [/spoiler]

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
    « Reply #9 on: <02-27-16/1001:05> »
    I didn't mean directly as a Decker, I meant as a subtype of Decker. I've seen Technomancer and Decker builds that look similar to straight Decker. Then again, I didn't don't have a firm grasp of everything just yet. As for face, also meant as a Decker/Face combo.
    Rigger was more of a tacked-on thing in 4th, but in 5th it's solidly its own archetype. A decker can rig and a rigger can deck but they're both resource-heavy builds that don't have many overlapping skills besides Electronic Warfare.

Decker/Face is anti-synergy. They don't care about the same Attributes except maybe WIL, they have no skill overlap, and they have some core ware overlap (initiative boosting, AGI boosting) but some stuff that the other archetype doesn't want.

Thats pretty helpful, thanks. Any tips on gear, too? Should I get a Vech or Drone? Or should I let riggers stick to those?
    I think everyone should have their own cheap vehicle but that's just me. Having a fly-spy or something that can run a data tap or cable isn't a bad idea but I wouldn't get a lot of drones.

Incidentally you also want to think about whether you want to hack more in AR or VR as it affects what ware you'll want, and what you can do in combat. In-combat hacking is not very viable unless you start combat with existing Marks, which is not always something to count on.

revan.be

• Newb
    « Reply #10 on: <02-28-16/2050:37> »
    something that can run a datatap or  cable ?
    what do you mean by a cable? A flyspy or a Shiawase Kanmushi
    running an actual cable from your datajack to a jackpoint?
    or just a piece of gear that i must have missed?

or if anyone here knows of a list of any already-statted-out complete with sensors drones
    useful for any shadowrunner especially deckers that'd be great thanks.
    « Last Edit: <02-28-16/2100:44> by revan.be »
    SR5 archetypesof all races needed , add art male/female art if possible http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=12881.30

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
    « Reply #11 on: <02-28-16/2100:09> »
    Yes, running a length of cable that can connect your deck to, e.g., a camera, thereby bypassing the host's defenses.

Rooks

• Omae
    « Reply #12 on: <03-01-16/1415:07> »
    or a KE P5 drone with a data tap hooked up to a fleeing vehicle creating a wireless access point to said vehicle to turn it off

&#24525;

« Reply #13 on: <03-01-16/1505:54> »
    or a KE P5 drone with a data tap hooked up to a fleeing vehicle creating a wireless access point to said vehicle to turn it off
    That would be hella tricky.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
    • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
    « Reply #14 on: <03-01-16/2146:59> »

You can go many ways. You don't need A Resources.

Skills B Human(5) C Resources C Attributes C Adept D for example can work for a decker.

Seriously, the a Little Hornet, 3 Antennae, a Datajack and a Smartlink and you're good to go.

You buy Automatics [SMG] 6[+2] and you can contribute in meatspace combat. You still have 29/5 for your decking skills.

5PPs to increase initiative, improved ability(hacking) 3 and combat sense 1+.
    I'd drop down Human to increase Adept for more Skill Points & the same Edge/Magic