NEWS

New Player, New Character.

• 8 Replies

MostlyMoody

• Newb
« on: <02-29-16/0139:02> »
Hey guys, recently picked up Shadowrun Rulebook and before joining a game decided to post a character here to get some outside opinion.

The concept is a Street Samurai hitman/Yakuza thug turned shadowrunner. Supposed to be good in combat (I know right?), fairly stealthy, resilient and know his way around the criminal world.

[spoiler]
Priorities
A - Resources
B - Attributes
C - Skills
D - Metatype - Human
E - Magic/Resonance

Stats
Body - 4 (6 Aluminium Bone Lacing)
Agility - 6 (9 Cyberarms)
Reaction - 3 (5 Synaptic Booster)
Strength - 5 (8 Cyberarms)
Willpower - 3
Logic - 2
Intuition - 3
Charisma - 2
Edge - 5
Essence - 0.48
Initiative - 6/8 +3d6

Limits
Physical - 7
Mental - 4
Social - 3

Skills
Athletics Group - 2
Blades - 6
Automatics - 5
Perception - 3
Pilot Ground Craft - 5
Sneaking - 5
Unarmed Combat - 4
Knowledge Mafia Politics - 2
Knowledge Police Procedure - 1
Knowledge Tokyo - 3
Knowledge Art - 3
Knowledge Law - 1
English - N
Japanese - N

Qualities
Bilingual
Guts
Toughness

Addiction - Alcohol Moderate
Bad Rep

Augs
Aluminium Bone Lacing 2
Obvious Cyber Arm - Enhanced Agi, Str (3)
Internal Air Tank 3
Cybereyes 2 (Alphaware)
 - Image Link
 - Low-Light Vision
 - Smartlink
 - Thermographic Vision

Orthoskin 3
Platelet Factories
Synaptic Booster 2

Equipment
Ares Alpha (Flashlight, Grenade Launcher, Internal Smartgun System, Shock Pad, Silencer)
Browning Ultra Power (Laser Sight)
Forearms Snap Blades
Katana
x4 Smoke Aero Grenade

Armor Jacket (Hermes Ikon Comlink, Biomonitor, Quick-Draw Holster) - 17 Armor with augs

Autopicker 4
Micro Tranceiver
x5 Stim Patch 6

Contacts
Beat Cop (Connections - 3, Loyalty - 2)
Yakuza Kobun (Connections - 5, Loyalty - 2)
Street Doc (Connections - 2, Loyalty - 5)

Social
Nobu Kimura - real identity, no SIN
Jack Suzuki - fake identity, Fake SIN (4)
[/spoiler]

I used HeroLab to create the char, so I won't bother going through how I spent my Karma points etc.
I guess I am looking for advice and ideas or suggestions since I barely know what I am doing in terms of character building.
« Last Edit: <02-29-16/1458:34> by MostlyMoody »

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #1 on: <02-29-16/0207:17> »
Well, at first glance things look ok except for your Ares Alpha which uses Automatics and not Longarms so you actually do not know how to use it.
Also a Gyro Mount is a huge vest with a mechanical arm on it which would not be very stealthy at all.
The Alpha also has a grenade launcher but without Heavy Weapons your shots would be all over the place.

Some might say you put your combat skills in too many places at once. Simply removing pistols and Longarms and investing those points in automatics (covers machine pistols, SMGs and Assault Rifles) would be a good step.

You don't have a commlink (needed) nor a fake SIN. Without a sin your character would be unable to venture into high security neighborhoods without being harassed.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-29-16/0611:58> »
That's odd. Wheee did you spend all your money? Synaptic booster is a big one but you should have had more money and more augs...
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-29-16/0657:10> »
Having a native AGI of 6 makes a cyberarm not worth it. Take the money and buy Used Muscle Toner 3.

You want to pick up some more Unarmed to go with that Bone Lacing.

Cybereyes aren't worth it. Retinal smartlink + goggles, contacts, earbuds.

You need a datajack. 

Note that Bone Lacing does not improve your BOD in general but only for purposes of damage soaking. And BOD is better at an odd number.
Playability > verisimilitude.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-29-16/0703:59> »
You don't need to purchase a image link or a camera for your Cybereyes, those are part of the package.

MostlyMoody

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <02-29-16/1442:33> »
Well, at first glance things look ok except for your Ares Alpha which uses Automatics and not Longarms so you actually do not know how to use it.
Also a Gyro Mount is a huge vest with a mechanical arm on it which would not be very stealthy at all.
The Alpha also has a grenade launcher but without Heavy Weapons your shots would be all over the place.

Some might say you put your combat skills in too many places at once. Simply removing pistols and Longarms and investing those points in automatics (covers machine pistols, SMGs and Assault Rifles) would be a good step.

You don't have a commlink (needed) nor a fake SIN. Without a sin your character would be unable to venture into high security neighborhoods without being harassed.
Yeah I thought Longarms was for rifles. Will have to change that up.
Didn't know gyromount was that big. I guess I just assumed it was a weight balancer attached to the barrel. Will probably just remove it.
Changed up my combat skills a bit.
I think I have a Hermes Ikon commlink on my armor description. And yeah I forgot to add the Identities bit, will fix that.

That's odd. Wheee did you spend all your money? Synaptic booster is a big one but you should have had more money and more augs...
No, I pretty much filled up the 450k. The cyberarms cost 79000 each with the mods, that's probably where the confusion lies.

Having a native AGI of 6 makes a cyberarm not worth it. Take the money and buy Used Muscle Toner 3.

You want to pick up some more Unarmed to go with that Bone Lacing.

Cybereyes aren't worth it. Retinal smartlink + goggles, contacts, earbuds.

You need a datajack. 

Note that Bone Lacing does not improve your BOD in general but only for purposes of damage soaking. And BOD is better at an odd number.
Kind of agree with you on the cyberarm issue, but I also have +3 Str on them. I would have to buy the Toner and Muscle Aug as well to get the benefit of both. Besides you gotta agree that Cyberarms are way cooler.
Yeah, I will add some Unarmed to maximize the value of that Bone Lacing.
Fair enough, it would cost quite a bit less if I bought goggles, but where should I spent that extra money instead.
And I will add a datajack.
Isn't soaking damage the main purpose of BOD, I might be wrong about this. And why is it better in odds?

You don't need to purchase a image link or a camera for your Cybereyes, those are part of the package.

I didn't buy them, I just marked them down since they are part of the cybereyes.
« Last Edit: <02-29-16/1515:52> by MostlyMoody »

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-29-16/1556:56> »
Odd number BOD is where you pick up a new physical health box.

The extra STR isn't worth it honestly.
Playability > verisimilitude.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-29-16/1809:08> »
If you are looking for strength then cyberarms aren't worth it. Now if you equipped one of them with a gyromount (only obvious with in use) then all the better.

Cyberarms will give you a maximum str of 9 unless you have the Redliner quality. Max str plus augments will get you to 10. However, investing in cyberarms allows you to keep your natural str low (I would keep it around 3 for limit purposes)

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <02-29-16/2340:46> »
If you are looking for strength then cyberarms aren't worth it. Now if you equipped one of them with a gyromount (only obvious with in use) then all the better.

Cyberarms will give you a maximum str of 9 unless you have the Redliner quality. Max str plus augments will get you to 10. However, investing in cyberarms allows you to keep your natural str low (I would keep it around 3 for limit purposes)

If he moves 1 STR to BOD and 2 to REA he has BOD 5/REA 5/STR 2: Limit 5.
The 5 limit is fine as he doesn't have 15+DP to consistently get 5 hits in any skill that requires a physical limit.