NEWS

Modular Mount (Ear) options

• 8 Replies

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« on: <07-29-15/1348:48> »
Once Chromed Flesh becomes SRM legal (and assuming the Modular Mount is allowed), my character is going to be in the market for new ears, finally using the "beta ware at standard price" ticket he has.  As it stands now, I have a few extra capacity to play around with and was looking at the modular mount.  What I'd really love to do is have a laser mic and direction mic I could hook on my ear for sniping situations, but I'm not sure if that's remotely feasible, especially the directional mic.  Butch's comment on the item is obviously meant as a "don't be absurd even if the rules allow it" warning, but this doesn't seem as outlandish as a ear-mounted pistol.  Would you allow it?
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-29-15/1405:01> »
Why wouldn't you simply mount the sensors in the gun(s) on a sight? 

Other than cool factor of course.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-29-15/1449:03> »
Don't discount the cool factor, but strictly speaking you can only use vision enhancements in imaging scopes and the mics are audio devices.  Currently, I have a slide mount on my rifle that I use to swap between them, but adding it to my ear is 1) way cooler and 2) would free up the slide mount for other things.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-29-15/1525:06> »
As a GM I would totally let you use a Beta at standard coupon for a laser mic in your ear then.  I wouldn't even point out that you need to pivot your head around to aim the mic.  Prehensile ears, just for you, for free!  (seriously)

And I can't imagine there is a GM that would disallow mics on weapon scopes.  Is there?

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-29-15/1536:19> »
God, I hope not, but since this guy is for SRM I try to keep him as interpretation-free as possible.  My regular GMs are totally cool with it, but I like dot all my i's and cross my t's when it comes to open play.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-02-15/1031:19> »
Odd. Neither Quote nor Reply qork, but QuickReply does. Huh.

At any rate, I'm happy to see soem love for cyber ears. Poor things are terribly overlooked and the moduar mount is just fun. Sure you could clip a light onto your helmet, but *cool* Shadowrunners don't wear headgear, so you always need someplace to stick things. Taadaa! Tactical Ears!

They're just fun. :)

adzling

« Reply #6 on: <08-02-15/1324:17> »
odd you're right!

Anyhoo Kincaide can't you just hang those items on a headphone type head-rig?

Or how about this helmet >---<

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=21574.0

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #7 on: <08-04-15/0344:53> »
you've got side mounting points on rifles now so unless they're already full, just stick it on a slide mount on the side of your rifle or spec it into a drone's sensor array and sit it next to you when you're in position.
but yeah, to answer original question, seems fine to me. hardware test to mod it to take a slide rail and maybe a token 50NY for parts and i'd be a happy GM
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-04-15/0408:20> »
I've also been considering taking ear mounts. The description is a little bare, so been wondering what I'd really use it for, but also how people think it might look - particularly when ear protector mods are involved.