NEWS

how hard would this combination be to make work?

• 12 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« on: <06-21-15/0723:56> »
I was just mucking around with character designs (trying to put together a s210 mage that's optimised rather than my usual preference which isn't). Anyway it got me wondering how hard would it be to make the following combination work.

A character with the erased, amnesia (level 1) and hung out to dry qualties plus maybe flashbacks or incomplete deprogramming. The idea being they woke up one day lying in the street with memories of various illegal skills (or at least the way to apply then) but no knowledge of who they were or where they learnt them and all the "contacts" they somehow remember refuse to talk to them and every lead they try to pursue winds up a dead end.

Would it work do you think or be too hard, draw to much focus playtime rather than working in a group?

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-21-15/0744:50> »
Playing that from day 1 wouldn't work, I think. Connecting to the other players in a realistic fashion would be pretty much impossible, and you'd be too much of a loose cannon to work with anyway. Plus you'd probably be too busy, you know, surviving.

Playing such a character a few months in (so, once you've been able to settle down, meet the other players so you have a reason to be seen with them) would probably work, I think. In the right group.

SoulGambit

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <06-21-15/1431:33> »
You can do it day one. You just need another PC (probably the Face) find you and (offscreen) social-fu you into joining the group.

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <06-21-15/2115:27> »
Assuming your GM is cooperative, there is no reason you could not play a character like this. And not everyone on the team has to be hired by the Johnson. The team could stumble across your char on a run and you could save their bacon with some forgotten skillzors.
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #4 on: <06-22-15/0104:05> »
This could work, GM can def make that fit into a campaign!
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <06-22-15/1445:20> »
Nothing is impossible when it comes to RP.  But not everything is suitible for all groups...

In team based RP (like SR) there 3 tropes to avoid, "Mary-Sue", "Object of Awe", "Mr. Me".

Avoid those 3, and you'er good to go with most groups.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-22-15/1517:47> »
Nothing is impossible when it comes to RP.  But not everything is suitible for all groups...

In team based RP (like SR) there 3 tropes to avoid, "Mary-Sue", "Object of Awe", "Mr. Me".

Avoid those 3, and you'er good to go with most groups.
Definitely. I was going to suggest talking to the GM and other players. This idea might not work at all tables. You want your fellow gamers to want to have this person on runs and be excited about the complications and mystery, not feel saddled with your baggage and exasperated whenever your secret backstory inconveniences them on a run.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-22-15/1623:34> »
Object of Awe and Mr. Me?

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <06-22-15/1740:42> »
I'm guessing from the context object of awe is the kind of character that has people going what are you, that's amazing and the like while ignoring the other party members not sure about Mr me.

Any ongoing game you want to check things with your group like I said I was just curious how hard people thought it'd be to make a character erased so thoroughly that even their memories where scrubbed but not killed (K from MIB for example) work in a group context.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <06-22-15/1949:04> »
I like the idea of this concept as a replacement character the rest of the team discovers on a run. I think I could work with it, but it would definitely take some agility on behalf of the GM and other players.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <06-23-15/0021:34> »
Feel free I was just bored and mucking around with odd concepts so it'd be nice to let it see the light of day.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #11 on: <06-23-15/0105:02> »
"Object of Awe":

An item, (usually a weapon, usually 'custom') that ABSOLUTELY MUST be the center of attention. Every time. If the object is not, the player/GM interjects the item.
Player: "I lean over the table with jacket open so the Johnson can clearly see the gold skulls engraved on my silver plated predator..."

Player: "we can't take this job! There's way 'Mr. Fuzzy'-my gold plated Steel Lynx drone can fit on a plane!!!"

Mr. Me:

Basically the same thing, but it has to always be about that character. Every time.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <06-23-15/0945:40> »
"Object of Awe":

An item, (usually a weapon, usually 'custom') that ABSOLUTELY MUST be the center of attention. Every time. If the object is not, the player/GM interjects the item.
Player: "I lean over the table with jacket open so the Johnson can clearly see the gold skulls engraved on my silver plated predator..."

Player: "we can't take this job! There's way 'Mr. Fuzzy'-my gold plated Steel Lynx drone can fit on a plane!!!"

Mr. Me:

Basically the same thing, but it has to always be about that character. Every time.
And then of course there is "That guy" (tm)