NEWS

[SR5] Datajack and Noise

• 21 Replies

SoulGambit

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <09-01-13/0446:14> »
Oh snap. Finally, a way to actually use your wireless bonuses in the face of rating 6 Jammers while in Chicago!

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #16 on: <09-02-13/0411:59> »
Thanks for your answers! Guess there is, after all, a very stylish way to combat Noise. Datajacks for everyone!)

It gives you a Rating 1 noise reduction, one could easily argue that you cannot stack them for two reasons.
1: The Data passes through the Datajack, not multiple but just the one.
2: It gives you Rating 1 noise reduction, not +1 noise reduction. So with 2 active at the same time, you still only have Rating 1 noise reduction.

As for the abusive situation: With 10k nuyen and 1 essence someone could otherwise be pretty much completely immune to any kind of noise.

I do see your point, but as Noise is something not every GM would use on a regular basis, that's not overly abusive. In my home games I'm going to let it fly, but of course your mileage may vary.
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #17 on: <09-02-13/1320:44> »
Then the players wouldn't need to pull the trick to begin with.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <09-02-13/1421:16> »
Lessee... Noise Reduction is provided by...
  • The Signal Scrub cyberprogram.
  • The RCC's Noise Reduction rating, which says it "is cumulative with other forms of Noise Reduction".
  • compensating for noise on the fly with an RCC (Electronic Warfare + Logic [Data Processing], "cumulative with all other Noise reduction", works until the end of the Combat Turn).
  • Datajack in Wireless mode.
So one could read that as meaning that if it doesn't say it stacks, it only stacks with stuff that does say it stacks. Could, anyway.
Of course, now I'm curious about which augmentations you can have more than one of, and which of those you might want to.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-09-13/0511:52> »
If they intended that we could stack data jacks for noise reduction they would have given the data jack a rating just like every other piece of cyberware that have a stacked effect.

or to turn the argument around:

flare compensation does not say it does not stack or is incompatible with a second installment of flare compensation. does this mean i can buy two flare compensations for double the effect?

platelet factories does not say it does not stack or is incompatible with a second installment of platelet factories. does this mean i can buy two platelet factories for double the effect?

SoulGambit

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <09-11-13/1057:44> »
Flare compensation's wording prevents it from stacking with itself.

Platelet factories would stack under that logic, yes. I'm not sure that's particularly game-breaking given the sheer bullshit amount of armor a Street Sam can get anyways.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <09-12-13/1010:05> »
Flare compensation's wording prevents it from stacking with itself.
No it doesn't.