NEWS

Who are the most notable Technomancers in the 5e world?

• 74 Replies

Jack in the Box

• Newb
« on: <07-21-18/1934:01> »
see title

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <07-21-18/2220:54> »
First three that come to mind are Netcat, Puck, and maybe Dodger.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-21-18/2357:23> »

There's also Pax (Dr. Penelope Ann Xavier, Lockdown p.215), and maybe Soldat (Kazuma Tetsu, from Dark Resonance). Other technomancers with write-ups in 5E sourcebooks that I know of include White Rabbit (Lockdown p.226), Lilith (Book of the Lost p.130), Qin "Sledgehammer" Xio (Complete Trog p.145), Cynthia "Spook" Fields (Complete Trog p.156).

&#24525;

« Reply #3 on: <07-22-18/1300:51> »
And the recently introduced Respec from DT I think. Not exactly 'most notable' but mention worthy.

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-22-18/1848:15> »

Slightly off topic here, but does anyone else find Netcat to be the least likeable recurring runner in the franchise?
The power of the Tri-Horse!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #5 on: <07-22-18/1914:25> »
Slightly off topic here, but does anyone else find Netcat to be the least likeable recurring runner in the franchise?

I think's ok, she way better then clockwork.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <07-22-18/1928:14> »
As an individual, I hate Clockwork, but I don't find his posts uninteresting to read like I do Netcats.  For the most part, I think his worldview makes him an interesting foil to many of the more moral shadowrunners - my only big beef with him as a character is his bias against technomancers - not because he's prejudiced, but because he just seethes vitriol and has no apparent reason for it.  It's bias that doesn't seem to have any grounding in his personal experience or history, and seems inconsistent for a character who otherwise seems to be driven by pure pragmatism.

Netcat, on the other hand, is inconsistent an a lot more things.  If it's not a topic relating to motherhood, being a woman, or being a technomancer, she's waffled on it like McCain in 2008.  In many ways, she reminds me off (and I know this is weird) Debra from Everybody Loves Raymond.  I can't fault a single one of her posts about injustices and whatnot, but when it's all she ever seems to go off about, it gets pretty tiresome.  On top of that, while I won't dispute that technomancers are often persecuted, and she's certainly had to deal with some shit because of it, in a world where corps are fucking everyone over, magical animals oppress a population in Siberia with secret police, and people are having their souls shredded and then being bound to their bodies as cyberzombies, she writes like she has suffered and gone through more arduous trials than anyone in the history of suffering, and she's quick to pounce on people and tell them that they just don't get it.  Her whole persona to me is reminiscent of a lot of people I know who come home and bitch about their retail job (or something similar) and talk about how they saved the day for everyone but no one ever thanks them.  Ultimately, she comes across to me as two-dimensional and oppressively negative.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #7 on: <07-22-18/1933:17> »
I would love to see a fairly BA TM Added. But I don't see that happening any time soon.

PAX is certainly the toughest TM we have seen on paper in 5th, and she still seems boring to me.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <07-22-18/1937:49> »
My experience has been that they're ALWAYS boring on paper.  When I went into my Boston Lockdown campaign, I just reworked her from the ground up, with the idea in mind that, with FastJack gone, PAX is probably (in my own game world, at least) the planet's best hacker when it comes to straight up cybercombat.  I tried to give her numbers that basically meant my party's matrix-savvy characters had next to no change of defeating her in a standup matrix battle.  She was also a dab hand and controlling devices (and if you were dumb enough to chase her into a host that she could dissonance up, you were done), but she wasn't so hot (relatively) at things like matrix perception and some of the less direct matrix tricks, and that was how the party had to beat her (or get her in a room with them for a shootout).

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <07-22-18/1941:33> »
I would love to see a fairly BA TM Added. But I don't see that happening any time soon.

PAX is certainly the toughest TM we have seen on paper in 5th, and she still seems boring to me.

One idea I had for a technomancer (a contact for the party) was an info-broker named Forge who no one ever met in person, who seemed to be able to crack any database on earth, and who had an uncommon affinity with AIs.  The party would get a chance to meet Forge in person later and discover it was a teenage girl who was so severely autistic that she couldn't function in the world and needed some help with basic self-care.  Seldom speaks, get angry easily when people don't understand what she wants, etc...  But when she became a technomancers, the Matrix was able to interpret what she wanted to say and display the information in a way that was understandable by others, revealing a staggering intellect that just didn't have an outlet in the meat world.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #10 on: <07-23-18/0119:34> »
@Lorebane24

Personally, I like Netcat, but she was much better in 4E material, IMO. For one thing, there was more going on with TMs, which was her focus, and the writeup she did of Serrin/Ire for Street Legends was pretty damn cool. Unfortunately, her 5e material just isn't as strong, in part due to the fact that the Matrix is her primary area of expertise, and other than the CFD stuff, the matrix has just been quietly fucked. I hope for some good things in the new matrix book, but wouldn't count on it. You are correct that she needs to branch out more, though.

But as for least likeable recurring character? That 'honor' would go to Clockwork, Rigger X, or Sticks. All three of them just annoy the hell out of me, though Sticks has gotten a little more interesting with the revelations about Ares.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Jack in the Box

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <07-23-18/1356:24> »
Netcat is a social justice warrior.  Clockwork is a right-wing extremist. 

Sometimes, what makes a character interesting is how much we love to hate them.

But, I don't think Netcat is notable in 5e.  She's just some chick married to an administrator of a popular web forum.

PAX, on the other hand, is notable, what with her ties to CFD.

Other than PAX, I just can't think of anyone else. 

What I'd like to see is someone like Damian Knight, but is a TM and, maybe, is the new head of GOD, but is also similar to J Edgar Hoover and McCarthy.

&#24525;

« Reply #12 on: <07-25-18/1724:49> »
an administrator of a popular web forum.
Hey I'd like to think FastJack would think Slamm-0! is notable :p

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <07-25-18/1829:49> »
Besides singular notable characters:

The german lore mentions the Order von Laodicea, a fanatical group of Technomancers in the service of the German Catholic Church in the Free State of Westphalia. Part of them are just Matrix Preachers, but others are doing more crazy stuff, like searching for traces of god in the resonance realms or performing "digital exorcisms". Also, they hunt down and delete AIs, which the German Catholic Church sees as emissaries of the devil.

Makes for some pretty good plot hooks: Imagine playing bodyguard for a scared AI hunted by the order 8)

PMárk

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <07-28-18/2302:36> »
Netcat is a social justice warrior.  Clockwork is a right-wing extremist. 

Sometimes, what makes a character interesting is how much we love to hate them.

But, I don't think Netcat is notable in 5e.  She's just some chick married to an administrator of a popular web forum.

PAX, on the other hand, is notable, what with her ties to CFD.

Other than PAX, I just can't think of anyone else. 

What I'd like to see is someone like Damian Knight, but is a TM and, maybe, is the new head of GOD, but is also similar to J Edgar Hoover and McCarthy.

Sums it up pretty well. I don't like Clockwork, but he's a character I like to not like. :D NetCat is just uninteresting at best and annoying at worst. Her best moments are their marital teasings with Slamm-0!

Honestly, they should just hate-fuck it out with Clockwork, in a dim motel room somewhere, because their ongoing bickering starts to get a bit old.
If nothing worked, let's think!