NEWS

How common are ley lines?

• 5 Replies

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« on: <06-13-18/1725:23> »
(apologies if this should be on one of the sub-boards, but it didn't seem to quite be a fit for either Rules or Secret History).

• I've read Parageology (4th edition), and it listed a fairly limited set of ley lines of different types over various continents.
    • I've read Parageology (4th edition), and it listed a fairly limited set of ley lines of different types over various continents.
    • The discussion of Wuxing, some of the discussions in Street Grimoire, and the presence of a substantial ley line in Boston that I don't think was mentioned in Parageology all imply that there are a lot more 'lesser' ley lines than what was in Parageology.
    • What do you use in your game for how common they are?

I think these are minor enough impact in the world that doing whatever makes for good story in your game is reasonable.  I've established a couple running through Seattle in my game (one mostly well underground and largely unknown, the other pretty weak but subject to various efforts to displace or align it).  I'm just curious how much other people use them in their games, how common and varied they make them, etc.

Streetsam_Crunch

• Newb
  • Grumpy Old Ork
« Reply #1 on: <06-13-18/1904:06> »
Like you, I roll with 'story appropriate' and don't really get into high detail about it. I tend to keep them more toward 'wild' places... if one ran through a city it would either be very faded, or very strong with the spirit of man. If one ran through downtown Seattle in my game, it would intersect with the Aztechnology arcology... and they don't need any more magic than they already have! (Hm, that would be a good plot point though... especially if the story was that they somehow 'bent' it to intersect with them...)

There was one out in the Barrens that had an ancient crow shaman squatting in an old building that was sitting along it in my last game. It was an interesting, random, side-story for the mage in my campaign  :)

Crunch~

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #2 on: <06-13-18/2215:54> »
Actually the 'mostly' underground one in my game does run under the aztechnology pyramid ... which has quite deep foundations as a matter of fact.  And whether or not it started that way, it seems blood aligned now (the PC has actually found no indication that Aztechnology is doing anything to cause this, but there has been other blood magic use along the line where it is accessible)

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <06-14-18/0204:40> »
Since there's apparently not a whole lot of detail on where ley lines are, I pretty much haven't touched the material anywhere.  Considering how low the mana levels are supposed to be some sixty years after the Awakening it's understandable that they'd otherwise be rather non-impacting to... everything.

Streetsam_Crunch

• Newb
  • Grumpy Old Ork
« Reply #4 on: <06-14-18/0244:35> »
Doesn't mean interested parties wouldn't be trying to get control of them, particularly dragons... because they would have a better idea of where they are anyway...

This conversation actually has given me a solid idea for the next big 'plot point' in the next campaign I run... or one of them down the road at any rate...

Crunch~

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #5 on: <06-16-18/1009:28> »
This may be of interest to those wanting to incorporate Ley Lines into their Seattle campaigns:

http://www.geo.org/qa.htm

But since ley lines are complete garbage, just go with whatever the story needs.  It's easier and certainly requires less record keeping
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82