NEWS

[6e] Gecko Gloves

• 4 Replies

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« on: <10-04-20/0034:49> »
(Unsure if there's a better topic for errata submission)

Gecko Tape Gloves state:

You get to use assisted climbing (p. 93) when you’re wearing the set.

Page 279 for climbing gear also mentions this rule:

This is a backpack with 100 meters of rope (400-kilo test), an ascent/descent harness, gloves, carabiners, crampons, pitons, and so forth needed for assisted climbing (see Climbing, p. 93).

There are no rules for assisted climbing, or any mention of something similar in the description of Climbing on that page, and nothing in the backup tables (At least, on my Jan 2019 copy). I can't find it in any errata files posted so far, but I could've missed it. Most likely, this rule is a reference to "assisted climbing" in 5e that was taken out in 6e.

In the moment, we ruled gecko gloves as a +1 bonus since I didn't feel like checking through the 5e book for a 6e rule and that seemed fair for 250ny gear. However, the intent for this was most likely to match up to the 5e bonus of +2 and increased speed. It's possible that granting edge might've made more sense in this edition. Player got 7 hits anyways against threshold 3, so they weren't hurting for that extra die.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <10-04-20/0445:11> »
If a player is equipped with climbing gear
(p. 279), they get a point of Edge when starting
their climb. They do not keep gaining Edge
each turn of the climb. If they attempt to pile up
Edge by starting a climb, then jumping off, then
starting a “new climb” on the same surface, you
are allowed to give them a stern talking to and
point them to the Preventing Edge Abuse section
(p. 45).
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #2 on: <10-04-20/1017:59> »
Ah, that's a much easier fix, then. Either gecko gloves should be added to that description, or that section should get a header called "Assisted Climbing"

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #3 on: <10-05-20/1641:05> »
(p. 45).

Yah, I'd automatically bought gecko gloves on my first 6e character, and when I found out what they actually did in 6e I was pretty underwhelmed.  Well, still handy for holding them in place when going into VR :p

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #4 on: <10-05-20/1827:50> »
(p. 45).

Yah, I'd automatically bought gecko gloves on my first 6e character, and when I found out what they actually did in 6e I was pretty underwhelmed.  Well, still handy for holding them in place when going into VR :p

Oh, that's a good point. We had also talked about having the gecko tape gloves have the same effect as the weapon mod for gecko tape in Firing Squad:

Wireless: Activation or deactivation commands can be issued to multiple devices. Activating or deactivating provides a bonus Minor Action.
Note: Gecko grip provides a bonus Edge that can only be used on tests to maintain a grip on a weapon. Activating or deactivating the sticking features requires a Minor Action.

This veers more into houserule territory, not errata territory.

I think the "assisted climbing" feature was a casualty of the simplification process- the rule was basically the same for tape gloves in 4e20A and 5e. The description was almost word-for-word across all three editions (4e20A, 5e, 6e) for gecko gloves, but now that "assisted climbing" no longer exists, it leaves things uncertain with whether or not climbing gear and gecko gloves should "stack", or if you can only get edge from one of them. Since "assisted climbing" no longer exists, we can't say for certain that the constraints of that still apply. Since "climbing gear" is a distinct item from gecko gloves, you can't even say for sure that the rules for "climbing gear" also apply to gecko gloves (But if Chandra's right, that is the intent).