NEWS

Sybil virus: Clues and wild speculations

• 626 Replies

carmachu

• Newb
« Reply #150 on: <06-28-13/2205:37> »

Well, there's the Proteus board, which are basically metahuman biodrones for whoever the real master is behind the scenes, but other than that, the only way to go swapping bodies would be if two people were using rigged anthroform drones, or using magic, such as possession spirits or artifacts with crazy powers.

However, stories like what you are talking about do come up in Ghost in the Shell (where again, there are full-body cyborgs who sometimes switch bodies, but not via the matrix). The idea of something trying to take over and rewrite your consciousness via the computer has been done several times in cyberpunk and anime.
No, wasn't ghost in the shell or any other items in anime(because I don't watch any of that stuff). Now I'm going to have to go book by book and find it again.

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #151 on: <06-30-13/1753:28> »
I wonder if they found the portal to Hell yet, and if one lone Marine has to deal with it?
His cause is just. His will is strong and his gun is very, very large.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #152 on: <07-01-13/1547:49> »
Now I'll admit that my shadowrun history is a bit hazy, but I can swear this sounds familiar, inso much that wasn't there a story somewhere where folks use to share and swap bodies via the matrix? I recall a guy sharing taking over a woman's body for a night of fun and she woke up to her place a wreck with marshmellows and such.
Well, there's the Proteus board, which are basically metahuman biodrones for whoever the real master is behind the scenes, but other than that, the only way to go swapping bodies would be if two people were using rigged anthroform drones, or using magic, such as possession spirits or artifacts with crazy powers.

However, stories like what you are talking about do come up in Ghost in the Shell (where again, there are full-body cyborgs who sometimes switch bodies, but not via the matrix). The idea of something trying to take over and rewrite your consciousness via the computer has been done several times in cyberpunk and anime.

AFAI it was matrix action, well it was wired download/upload transfer, not wireless...
IMO quite a lot of stuff in GItS was hardwired, for serious cyberbrain hacking standard telephone booth was used etc. Motoko was jacking in all the time etc...

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #153 on: <07-01-13/2202:58> »
Funny because a Male version of Motoko is my first big 5th edition project to continue my trend of "Famous People as Shadowrunners"

After all, she disappears after the 2nd Gig.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #154 on: <07-03-13/1836:50> »
...and came back in SSS as multi-body character.

DamienHollow

« Reply #155 on: <07-03-13/2051:25> »
There's a reason she's on my top 10 most hated characters list, right along side of superman and Alucard from Hellsing.
 I think at this point our biggest question is... "What is it's method of action?" If we can figure out how it affects the body then we may know what it is. Because it implied that it wanted a nano hive we can safely say that whatever it is it can hijack cyber-ware directly. This would require the ability to interface with it in either the same manner as another computer/brain or to directly alter it by acting like a nanite and physically rewiring it.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #156 on: <07-04-13/0040:59> »
Nano plots are quite popular in my games since DE: Invisible war. I'll have lot of fun in my games :)

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #157 on: <07-18-13/1119:06> »
What if this has to do with the program JackBNimble or a different form of it. Being no one knows what happened to it.
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #158 on: <07-18-13/2014:58> »
What if this has to do with the program JackBNimble or a different form of it. Being no one knows what happened to it.

That's actually a really good thought, it certainly seems to be similar in its operation, or at least what i know about the JackBNimble program.
Its not the victors who write the history books, its the suvivors

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #159 on: <07-19-13/0526:48> »
Can you point me to this jackBNimble? I fail to recall anything about it.

Malathis

• Chummer
« Reply #160 on: <07-19-13/1005:37> »

iirc, JackBNimble was a program given to the Captain via the Big D's will, it went off durring System Failure and "Saved" people. I'm not sure where any other references to the program may be.

RelentlessImp

• Chummer
« Reply #161 on: <07-19-13/1054:03> »

iirc, JackBNimble was a program given to the Captain via the Big D's will, it went off durring System Failure and "Saved" people. I'm not sure where any other references to the program may be.

Here.
Next time you're down on your knees, and you're expecting a slap, it might be me in that mask, and I just might have a bat.
Currently Looking for Work

SoyCaf

• Newb
« Reply #162 on: <07-20-13/2131:57> »
Body hijacking virus? Made by something(s) inhuman that want into the real world?

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #163 on: <07-21-13/0649:46> »
Since the "We Are Free" message left on the walls by those possibly infected, I can pretty much see connection to the Message Lanier was sent by Ace (in building a case chapter in Stormfront)

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #164 on: <07-21-13/1019:43> »

The JackBNimble program was bequeathed to Captain Chaos by Dunkelzahn when he died, and the Captain never managed to break the encryption on the file. In 2065, the assault of the Jormungand worm shredded the encryption on the file and caused it to activate, "saving" Captain Chaos and others who were dying in the Matrix. The current whereabouts of JackBNimble are unknown.
As a program, JackBNimble has no physical representation. In the Matrix, it has only been seen as a shadow. The JackBNimble program appears to be at least as complicated as a semi-autonomous knowbot, and appears to be able to "save" deckers as files - which, under certain circumstances, can appear to "wake up."

Now lets say just for a moment that some how this program got infected by a virus. With it's ability to pull peoples minds from there bodies. What if it does this but also now has the ability to put something in a body from the matrix ?
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--