NEWS

"Countering" spells and effects without "counterspelling"

• 3 Replies

Tangent

• Newb
« on: <01-07-14/0425:20> »
How do multiple uses of the same spell or ability used by different characters on the same target interact?

Specifically, this came up in the last session with Control Animal.  Some animals were being controlled by this critter power (is that what it is?).  The mage in the group summoned some spirits, who owed him tasks.  One of the tasks he gave to one of his spirits was to control any hostile animals who made their way into the encampment, and cause them to attack each other.

The problem is that the animals were already being controlled by Control Animals, which was used by another mage or something, AND they were being "Influenced" as well.

So the question is, which "casting" wins?  Does the FIRST casting take TOTAL control, and another caster can only gain control after the first casting has "worn off?"  Or does the MOST RECENT casting supersede the first?  Or is there a kind-of mage battle to determine who gets control?

Further, what about different spells and effects with similar... effects?  Like Influence and Control Animal?  How do these interact?

Beaumis

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-07-14/0502:34> »
i'm not sure what you mean by "influenced", so I will focus on the control aspect. Basically, animal control has no dice mechanics, but the behavior has to be natural for that type of animal. This could already solve your problem, because attacking each other is rarely normal behavior for animals of the same pack. Assuming that works and they are being controlled by two instances of the critter power, I would go with the higher force wins.

Influence and Control Animal shouldn't be at odds, because Influence is a suggestion that due to its nature basically requires a sapient mind (you are required to understand abstract directions to be carried out when the trigger is met) and Control Animal rules out sapient creatures.

You are asking a very complicated question that has no hard rules and would likely be best handled on a case to case basis. Personally, I think it comes down to the question whether or not two orders are in conflict with each other. If one order says stand and the other says sit, then I'd either go with the higher of force + nethits or simply have the victim try and do both at the same time.

Metasyntactic

• Newb
  • Geek The Mage First
« Reply #2 on: <01-07-14/0505:34> »
I cant go as far as others and quote rules/passages/page numbers, but in our game, its the "Newest" spell.

If someone hacked a players gun and done something to it - if another hacker hacked that gun (regardless of skill level) and was successful - he would now be in control of it.

Im not aware of anything like "Dispel", where you'd have to dispel before you could spell...

But in this situation I would say the newest caster wins (if he's successful - or if the difficulty goes up by the 'skill' of the previous mage - but that sounds a little "House Rule'y" to me.)
Be careful to leave your sons well instructed rather than rich, for the hopes of the instructed are better than the wealth of the ignorant.

Tangent

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <01-07-14/0717:52> »
Spoilers follow for the Sprawl Wilds adventures...

I'm running the first adventure in the Sprawl Wilds book, and there's a fight in this adventure that takes place.  In this fight, a mage has, according to the adventure, used the Influence spell that has been "modified to work with animals" in order to basically push them in a direction that would result in an attack.  He then follows the animals and uses Control Animal on them to direct them further, for instance, to attack specific targets.  So the animals have been Influenced and Controlled.

And then one of my players uses Control Animal as well, on those same animals.