NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #915 on: <01-16-15/1136:10> »
@rednblack
The Lancer is a two-handed rifle. You can fire it with two hands with the cyberspur extended on the left hand, unless you want to fire it one-handed for cinematic purposes (although that does involve a -2 penalty, see above).

Can Ace parry with his cyber spurs if he has that hand bracing the weapon? 

ETA: To clarifty, do you impose a penalty on all firearms SMG and larger, when not fired with 2 hands?  I'm just trying to get an idea of what the rubric is.

Lancers do not have smartlinks. Ares dropped the ball on that one.

Yeah, I'd say.  200¥ for something like an increased 13% to his shooting skill should be a no-brainer.  Oh well, I've got a an easy purchase to make should Ace get out of here alive.

Ace's shot, minus smartlink: 4 hits
Spirit dodge: 6 hits, no luck

Dodgy little bastard.  Oh well, hopefully being able to take aim will make a difference next IP

« Last Edit: <01-16-15/1141:20> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #916 on: <01-16-15/1321:45> »
Can Ace parry with his cyber spurs if he has that hand bracing the weapon? 

Sure. I imagine he would remove that one hand from the weapon in order to parry most effectively, but that doesn't cost an action (nor is there an action to put the hand back to fire again without penalty).

ETA: To clarifty, do you impose a penalty on all firearms SMG and larger, when not fired with 2 hands?

Yes, correct.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #917 on: <01-16-15/1356:13> »
@Tecumseh, cool, thanks for the clarification.  In that case, Ace will fire using both hands, cyber spurs extended, and will be prepared to parry should the elemental decide to take a swing.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #918 on: <01-16-15/1358:33> »
Ohanzee will attack the spirit with Astral Combat, then drop Astral Perception so that he is no longer dual natured (I'm assuming this is a Free Action).
Astral Combat [Willpower 6 + Astral Combat 5 - Wounds 2]: 9d6t5 1
Yeah, not very effective...
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #919 on: <01-16-15/1415:25> »
@rednblack
Parrying an elemental with Energy Aura is a mixed proposition. While you can avoid the main damage component of the melee attack, you are still subject to the energy aura. DV = Force, AP = (negative) Force.

This isn't explicitly in the rules but it's a halfway point between what is in the rules (DV*2 for a successful melee attack against an elemental with energy aura - I'm looking at you 8-bit) and the fluff. Dodging is the safest bet.

@Malevolence
Switching Perception is a Simple Action. See p. 166.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #920 on: <01-16-15/1419:22> »
-3 firing from cover using an imaging device
-2 firing from a moving vehicle
-1 firing two-handed firearms with one hand (usually a -2 penalty but its only -1 for trolls)

+1 from smartlink

Agility 9 + Heavy Weapons 5 - 5 net modifiers = 9 dice

What type of grenade? Flashbang, frag, or thermal smoke.

@Poindexter
Per the RG2 optional rule in Run & Gun (Target Size Modifiers), go ahead and add +1 for aiming at a vehicle. So 10 dice.

And don't forget the grenade type.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #921 on: <01-16-15/1442:11> »
Ah, I was looking in the Astral Perception section and couldn't find it, and even did a Google search.

Hmm. I'd really like to stop being dual natured, but considering the crappy roll I made, it might be considered taking advantage to skip the attack. That, and I'm not sure what to do with the second Simple action, so in the interests of expedience, I'll go through with the attack and stay dual natured.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #922 on: <01-16-15/1448:03> »
@Mal
Your wound modifiers are -3 unless you took advantage of a medkit-stimpatch possibility that I mentioned, although I don't recall you saying so. That said, losing a die doesn't affect the outcome of your roll.

Spirit defense: 0 hits, Ohanzee connects!

Base damage is Charisma 6, staged to 7DV with the net hit.

Spirit soak: 0 hits

Ohanzee's target takes 7 boxes of damage!

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #923 on: <01-16-15/1511:44> »
Fire a frag grenade at the Bulldog: 10d6t5 5

limit of six, so I'm good.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #924 on: <01-16-15/1527:31> »
@rednblack
Parrying an elemental with Energy Aura is a mixed proposition. While you can avoid the main damage component of the melee attack, you are still subject to the energy aura. DV = Force, AP = (negative) Force.

I figured as much.

This isn't explicitly in the rules but it's a halfway point between what is in the rules (DV*2 for a successful melee attack against an elemental with energy aura - I'm looking at you 8-bit) and the fluff. Dodging is the safest bet.

I was worried a dodge would still put me in the aura.  Good to know.  I'll just assume that Ace would still extend his cyber spurs for heroics on the RV roof later.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #925 on: <01-16-15/1536:54> »
@Mal
Your wound modifiers are -3 unless you took advantage of a medkit-stimpatch possibility that I mentioned, although I don't recall you saying so. That said, losing a die doesn't affect the outcome of your roll.
Sorry, yes. I thought I'd mentioned it but it is not in any of my posts either IC or OOC. Whoops - that's all my fault. Character sheets reflect the change. Let me know if you want me to update an IC post - I'd have taken it as soon as they started following us, so he's probably a few minutes into it.

Spirit defense: 0 hits, Ohanzee connects!
Holy. Wow. With a -2 to the spirit's dice pool, Ohanzee might very well have a chance. If he can turn his luck with the dice gods around...

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #926 on: <01-16-15/1722:01> »
IC up.

We  don't happen to know the type of spirits that Kat and I are fighting do we? The materialized are obviously fire, but I can't find the type for the remaining two.

Also, you said there were six people in the Bulldog. The driver, the mage, and three assailants have been identified so far. I'm guessing the sixth is the decker?

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #927 on: <01-16-15/1749:42> »
We  don't happen to know the type of spirits that Kat and I are fighting do we? The materialized are obviously fire, but I can't find the type for the remaining two.
You don't know what kind of spirits are on the astral, no. Identifying them would require a Assensing test. That said, all spirits types are equal on the astral. Obviously Force differentiates them, but their astral attributes are the same. (Some spirit type have Intuition + 1 but I think this is a typo, as it is not reflected in their Initiative values nor in the fluff.)

Also, you said there were six people in the Bulldog. The driver, the mage, and three assailants have been identified so far. I'm guessing the sixth is the decker?

Guess away.

Long OOC coming in a bit.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #928 on: <01-16-15/1832:30> »
The vehicle / driving rules are woefully undetailed, so I'll be making a lot of this up as I go along.

It seems logical that the driver of the Bulldog would drive evasively to avoid the grenade, even though the grenade is an area attack and dodging might accomplish precisely nothing.

Driver dodging Sam's grenade with Reaction + Intuition: 5 hits

That equals Sam's hits, which is great, but now what. Normally I would say that the target is 5 meters away from the grenade, but in this case the driver doesn't have 5 meters of road to work with. We'll say that the driver moves into the left lane (3 meters away) but can't go any further without swandiving off the cliff to your left or plowing into the trees lining the road to the right.

Sam can trigger the grenade to go off at the correct range, so the vehicle is still subject to 18P +5AP. Odds are the vehicle won't care, but theoretically the ork in the passenger seat (who has his window down) and the tires could be.

Subtracting 3 meters due to the dodge, that brings the damage code down to 15P +5AP.

The ork is busy shooting Wolf, so he's unaware and can't dodge himself. I will say that vehicle occupants benefit from being in good cover since (they are still covered from the waist down). Good cover: 2 hits, so the ork gets to soak 13P +5AP.

Ork soak (Body + Armor + AP): 8 hits

Staged damage with AP does not exceed Ork's Armor rating, so the Ork takes 5 Stun.

The Bulldog itself has Armor 12, staged to 17 with the frag grenade's AP. With hardened armor that means that the frag grenade needs a direct hit before it can begin to affect the vehicle. The Bulldog loses some paint.

Question now is what happens to tires and other passenger-side windows. I'm going to say the windows are ballistics glass and have Structure 4 + Armor 6. If the grenade does 4+ boxes of damage then they break. Soaking: 2 hits, pathetic. Windows shatter.

Same story for tires, except Structure 2 + Armor 4. Soaking: 5 hits, better, but still not enough. The tires are pierced, but are run-flat tires.

Now the passengers on the right side of the vehicle have to soak the remaining damage that made it through the windows. That's the troll with the shotgun and someone you haven't identified yet.

Troll soak: 5 hits
Damage does not exceed Troll's armor rating, so the final verdict is 6 Stun.

Other goon soak: 5 hits, fine time for the goons to roll poorly
Damage does not exceed Unknown's armor rating, so the final verdict is 6 Stun.

That's the grenade. The driver of the Bulldog now needs to make a control test.
Driver (Reaction + Pilot Ground Craft - Terrain Modifiers [Vehicle Handling 3]): 3 hits, threshold was 2 so vehicle remains under control

Now, the revenge. The passenger in the Tata is going to Fireball Sam (or, more precisely, lob a Fireball at Sam's arm).

Fireball: Magic + Spellcasting - Target in Moving Vehicle: 3 hits, threshold 3 so no scatter
Soaking Drain: 3 hits, results hidden

Sam is in a restricted position (sitting, confined, and arm sticking out the window) and can't dodge the area attack effectively. I may allow him to use Run for Your Life if he drops the Ares Alpha, but it will only allow him to move reduce the DV by 2.

Base damage is 12DV -6AP.

While soaking, add 4 dice for Good Cover and 3 dice from Katsina's counterspelling. Don't forget your Armor Jacket has Fire Resistance 2. That should be Body 10 + Troll Dermals 1 + Armor 12 + Fire Resistance 2 + Titanium Bone Lacing 6 (it's unclear to me on Ryo's sheet if Sam's Body attribute reflects the +3 from the bone lacing or not, but for now we'll say they are separate) + Good Cover 4 + Counterspelling 3 - 6 AP = 32 dice, no problem.

RV soaking the damage (Body 16 + Armor 14 - 6 AP): 8 hits
That stages the damage down to 4P. This does not exceed the modified Armor value ( 8 ) so the RV itself is unharmed.

The RV's front right tires aren't as lucky. No armor and no Katsina counterspelling means they don't have the dice pool to resist the attack. Front right tire is gone.

RV's autopilot makes a control test, -2 for missing a tire (run-flat does not mean run-gone) and -2 for Terrain Modifiers. It needs 2 hits on 2 dice so this will probably suck. Snake-eyes! Critical glitch!

Well this should be fairly spectacular. To be continued!

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #929 on: <01-16-15/1903:00> »
I'm gonna go with ouch ;)

Doc is gonna be a freakin' ragdoll in this particular escapade.

I'm guessing that Sam and Ace will survive this particular endevour and maybe Kat and Chino, but I'm guessing Ohanzee and Doc are pretty well FUBAR.  Especially Doc as he can't even react to it :P

ETA: This has been awesome by the way, and I'm in no way complaining about the situation.  I've got a huge shit-eating grin as I'm typing this.  I think this is every type of pink-mohawk awesome!
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal