NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

8-bit

« Reply #885 on: <01-15-15/0046:36> »
Catching up on OOC and IC; going to get something up. I already posted about my lesser availability this week in Sunt Venatores Venationem, but I'll make sure to stay on top of it and not drop off the face of the Earth ... again.

8-bit

« Reply #886 on: <01-15-15/0052:29> »
Okay, a few questions OOC just so I can make an IC post.

Chino is reluctant to turn control of the car to the pilot, but it should be, relatively, safe. Does he see the Fire Spirit materialize when he's looking in the rear view mirror?

Assuming he does, here's what Chino would do.

Simple Action - Send Message to RV to use Grid Guide to control itself
Simple Action - Shift Perception to Astral Perception (AKA; Activate Focus)
Free Action - Speak/Text/Transmit Phrase to team that he's putting this thing on autopilot, because there is a fraggin' Fire Spirit in the RV.

That sound about right?

If he doesn't see the Fire Spirit, then he would have to wait to either notice it or be notified of it, in which case he's going to be trying to boost his speed and avoid some sort of sensor lock by the drone, if possible.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #887 on: <01-15-15/1205:46> »
Not sure how around I'll be today, so I'll post this now.

CT1 IP 1
IS 15
: Ace
Free Action: Extend Cyber Spurs on left hand
Simple Action: Ready Ares Lancer in right hand
Simple Action: Fire at the materialized fire spirit
Ares Lancer V. Fire Imp AGI (9)+Laser (6)+Smartlink (2): 17d6t5 5

I assume that the Lancer has a smartlink system, given Ace's background, but that could be wrong.  Please clarify.  If it does not, that's 4 hits.  With AP -10, that should bypass the spirit's Immunity to weapons, unless he's force 6 or above.

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #888 on: <01-15-15/1436:35> »
@8-bit, welcome back.

Chino is very experienced with spirits and knows that there's a fire spirit in the RV. He doesn't see it in the rear view mirror because RVs only have mirrors on the sides, not the center, but he can hear it and feel the heat.

The sequence of actions sounds good. As for activating astral perception, were you planning on attacking the spirit with astral combat?
Pros: astral spirits are dodgy bastards and difficult to hit physically, punching fire spirits hurts like hell
Cons: can't do as much damage astrally as physically

Long OOC post coming.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #889 on: <01-15-15/1445:21> »
Next sequence
1. Wolf materializes
2. another fire spirit materializes in the RV
3. a spirit astrally attacks Katsina
4. a spirit astrally attacks Ohanzee
5. Wolf draws fire from inside the Bulldog
6. Wolf draws more fire from inside the Bulldog
7. the projecting magician in the RV retreats to attack Wolf astrally
8. Chino's turn

That will bring us to Sam and Katsina and Ace. Let's resolve the above.

3. a spirit astrally attacks Katsina
Attack (Astral Combat + Willpower): 4 hits
Katsina defends (Intuition + Logic): 5 hits (rolled one die too many), Katsina defends!

4. a spirit astrally attacks Ohanzee
Attack: 1 hit
Ohanzee defends (Intuition + Logic - Wound Modifiers): 1 hit, Ohanzee defends! almost a glitch so close

Within the Bulldog (but not the RV) I'm going to give Defenders a -2 to dodge due to confined quarters.

5. Wolf draws fire from inside the Bulldog
Attack: 6 hits (Accuracy 7)
Wolf Dodge (Reaction 6 + Intuition 6 - 2 confined): 3 hits

Base damage is 9DV -2 AP, staged to 12DV with net hits.
Wolf has Immunity to Normal Weapons. This gives him (presuming Wolf is male) 12 points of hardened armor, staged down to 10 with AP. 12DV exceeds 10 armor so Wolf has to soak. He does get 5 automatic net hits from his hardened armor.
Wolf soak (Body 8 + Armor 10): 6 hits + 5 auto-hits = 11 net hits
Wolf takes 1 box of damage.

6. Wolf draws more fire from inside the Bulldog
Attack: 6 hits (Acc 7)
Wolf dodge (same as above with -2 burst -1 second defense): 2 hits

Base damage is 8P -1AP due to explosive rounds, staged to 12DV with net hits.
Same soak as above, but Wolf gets an extra die to soak due to less AP plus an extra auto-hit.
Wolf soak: 6 hits + 6 auto-hits = 12 net hits
Wolf is an animal! He eats a burst of explosive rounds and asks for more!

7. the projecting magician in the RV retreats to attack Wolf astrally
Attack (Astral Combat + Willpower): 3 hits
Wolf Defends (Intuition + Logic): 3 hits
Wolf successfully avoids the attack!

8. Chino's turn
As described by 8-bit, pending revisions

Current situation: There are 2 fire spirits materialized in the RV. Wolf is in the Bulldog, taking fire. The exact whereabouts of the rotodrone are unknown.

@All I'm going to post ICly to describe some of the above.
@Mal You write descriptive posts - feel free to write something up for Wolf tanking a whole bunch of attacks and for Ohanzee avoiding an astral assault by the slimmest of margins.
@8-bit Let me know if your previous actions are still your plan. If so, please post them ICly.

I'll PM Poindexter to let him know the action is to him.

8-bit

« Reply #890 on: <01-15-15/1456:17> »
@8-bit, welcome back.

Chino is very experienced with spirits and knows that there's a fire spirit in the RV. He doesn't see it in the rear view mirror because RVs only have mirrors on the sides, not the center, but he can hear it and feel the heat.

The sequence of actions sounds good. As for activating astral perception, were you planning on attacking the spirit with astral combat?
Pros: astral spirits are dodgy bastards and difficult to hit physically, punching fire spirits hurts like hell
Cons: can't do as much damage astrally as physically

Long OOC post coming.

Ah, I forgot that when they are materialized I don't need Astral Sight. I was just thinking of making myself Dual-Natured, but it might not be necessary. All right, here's what I'll do.

Combat Turn 1; Action Pass 1; Acting on Initiative 17

Simple Action - Send Message to RV to use Grid Guide to control itself
Simple Action - Activate Spirit Claw Focus (This makes it show up on the Astral and allows me to access it's power next Action Pass)
Free Action - Speak/Text/Transmit Phrase to team that he's putting this thing on autopilot, because there is a fraggin' Fire Spirit in the RV.

I figure it's better to take my chances with the physical realm, where I can realistically take the spirits down in a short time. I'll get an IC up soon to describe these actions.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #891 on: <01-15-15/1522:34> »
@8-bit
Sounds like a good plan.

While Chino is cracking his knuckles, he remembers that he has the following powers:
Attribute Boost (Agi) R1
Penetrating Strike R4

Chino will need to spend a Free Action to activate Killing Hands to bypass the spirits' Immunity to Normal Weapons.

Chino's base damage against spirits is Strength 9 + Bone Density 3 + Spirit Claw 3 = 15DV -4AP so everyone be prepared for him to seriously [explicative deleted].

8-bit

« Reply #892 on: <01-15-15/1549:51> »
@8-bit
Chino will need to spend a Free Action to activate Killing Hands to bypass the spirits' Immunity to Normal Weapons.

Curse my limited Actions pool!

I need a Free Action to activate Spirit Claw (the focus only allows me to access it), a Free Action to activate Killing Hands, and a Simple Action to activate Attribute Boost, if I want.

Well, I'm not going to mess with my actions any more; I have my next Action Pass turns ready, but I'll refrain from posting until we get there.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #893 on: <01-15-15/1556:38> »
Or you could just not tell people that you're putting the RV on autopilot, and hope that they trust you enough not to drive the RV into Slaughterhouse Gulch.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #894 on: <01-15-15/1558:56> »
Not that this couldn't seriously devolve, but I am thankful that was only a force 2 spirit. It's probably the only way I have a chance. My plan was to stop Astrally perceiving ASAP to try to limit my risk (as astral soak is really weak, making Astral Combat LETHAL). But, I might actually have a chance. Hmmm.

Anyway, I just got back from lunch, so IC incoming with Wolf's awesomeness (probably the first time that word has been used to describe a beast spirit - they are terrible for combat) and Ohanzee's dumb luck.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

8-bit

« Reply #895 on: <01-15-15/1605:12> »
Or you could just not tell people that you're putting the RV on autopilot, and hope that they trust you enough not to drive the RV into Slaughterhouse Gulch.

IC is up, I'll deal with it as is.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #896 on: <01-15-15/1611:43> »
Fire spirits in the RV, ok, from the passengers seat, does sam have a line of fire on any assumed hostile vehicles?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #897 on: <01-15-15/1700:41> »
So, here's the fun part with Beast spirits. I want to disable the mage. I can attack with Wolf's Natural Weapon ability for 6P DV, or I can just have him do a regular unarmed attack for 8S DV. If the mage has a BOD of 1 or 2 (9 boxes physical damage track) and a WIL of 5 or 6 (11 box stun track), then it's a wash (the number of boxes differ by 2). If his BOD is higher or his WIL is lower, the Stun track is the better option (the difference is less than 2). Wolf wants blood, but he is singularly ineffective at getting it.

So, thoughts?
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #898 on: <01-15-15/1723:19> »
@Poindexter
Sam's a troll and has long arms, so he can lean out the window quite a ways. I'll say he has LOS on the right half of the Bulldog and the Tata. But the reverse will be true as well.

@Malevolence
Let's go with a more reasonable interpretation of Natural Weapon so that it's not underpowered (and thus an illogical choice for an Optional Power). We'll use an actual wolf's natural weapon from p. 403:

Natural Weapon (Claws/Bite: DV (STR+2)P, AP –1)

That would give Wolf a 10P AP -1 attack.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #899 on: <01-15-15/1731:09> »
The second man, an ork, uses his weapon on the spirit, a short three note staccato, and the bullets pass harmlessly through Wolf's ethereal form. Where they collide with the interior of the vehicle, small blooms of fire break out.

The bullets did hit Wolf and explode. Wolf just soaked all the damage.