NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #735 on: <01-06-15/1703:45> »
Given we've moved on, I'm guessing we don't need/want me to repair the droid and check him or continue to hack the biomonitor or anything?

If not, I'd be down for working on medical cocktails to safely keep the Nately's sedated.  We should have plenty of supplies with the medkit reloads we picked up.
Or I can start on stealing the RV, unless we don't want to do that now that we've kidnapped the Nately's.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #736 on: <01-06-15/1716:11> »
You'll obviously have to take the droid with you to repair it. I don't think there was anything else you needed from the biomonitor but correct me if I'm mistaken.

@Zweiblumen Go ahead and roll Logic+Medicine to keep the Natelys sedated. You do have a plenty of supplies but not infinite. One sedation = one medkit use, using the general guideline that medkit rating = # of uses before recharge.

We still haven't devised a good way to take the snowmobile with us. Putting it on the roof would be Highly Unusual. I think the snowmobiles/ATVs are cool so I'm going to make it easy and have there be a trailer in the Nately's gararge. They have the snowmobile/ATV combo too, so now the question is do you want two snowmobiles or one snowmobile and one ATV.

I'm going to say that this is what Chino's been up to. The reality is he was probably slotting BTLs in the bathroom while taking a shower, but we'll pretend he was doing something productive instead.

@8-bit, if you're alive and lucid, post something about attaching the trailer to the RV. Pick a snowmobile+snowmobile or snowmobile+ATV combo.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #737 on: <01-06-15/1730:40> »
Given we've moved on, I'm guessing we don't need/want me to repair the droid and check him or continue to hack the biomonitor or anything?

If not, I'd be down for working on medical cocktails to safely keep the Nately's sedated.  We should have plenty of supplies with the medkit reloads we picked up.
Or I can start on stealing the RV, unless we don't want to do that now that we've kidnapped the Nately's.

If Doc could hack Mr. Nately's comm, it might be a good idea to send a text saying something to the effect of, "We're down at the clinic.  I'll be damned if you were right.  Mom's having some diagnostic work done.  I'll let you know the results in the morning."  You know, WASP it up, or whatever, but it could go a long way to assuaging little Nately's fears about Mommy Dearest.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #738 on: <01-06-15/1836:11> »
I'd feel better if the biomonitors at least reported them as conscious, in case they have a service or someone checks on them. I'd also like to have the security footage from the house cleaned up - typical cover your tracks type stuff. Speaking of covering tracks, it'd be nice if maybe Sam could attempt to hide our tracks going between the houses so that when our friends show up they don't immediately have an easy lead.

The trailer works. The conspicuousness of having them on the roof was why I was suggesting having someone drive the snowmobile until we were out of town, then put it on the roof. But as I said, the trailer works much better. As for what to take, I could go either way. The Snowmobiles are more immediately useful, but having an ATV provides some flexibility. I'd lean toward one of each for that reason. However, it depends on where we are headed.

Staying off the grid by boondocking somewhere in the wilderness has its advantages, but doesn't move things forward. Might be a good short term solution to recoup overnight that way, but the Matrix noise penalties and lack of access to vendors and potential buyers (and the need to keep the Nately's sedated) make this a short term solution at best. Maybe do that just long enough to heal up and take ownership of the RV.

Getting to Denver is probably a better long term goal as we have more contacts (and possible resources) there and jurisdictional options (though border crossings may present some difficulty). However, passing through Carbondale is risky if my prior ruse worked and they are looking for us there. Might make doubling back an option, but as Tec stated, it's a long road with very little in the way of turn offs, making it rather easy to patrol.

Once we have a destination, I am planning on forwarding delivery of the items we purchased to that town.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #739 on: <01-06-15/1939:11> »
Meds (Not sure if I get to *use* the medkit or not to help :P)
Medicine roll to keep them sedated Medicine(5) + Logic(9) - Wounds(1) = 13: 13d6t5 3
Medkit just in case (Rating 6 = 6): 6d6t5 1
Heh, hope it's not *that* hard, 4 hits total.
I probably need seperate rolls for each of them.
Medicine roll to keep them sedated Medicine(5) + Logic(9) - Wounds(1) = 13: 13d6t5 4
Medkit just in case (Rating 6 = 6): 6d6t5 3
No botches so I didn't kill them, but if Doc thinks this'll be harder than that, he'll use edge to keep them under.  How long does one dose last?

For the Hacking
I know the RV is slaved to the Host, so I can use that as an in, anything lower device rating that that around?  If so, I'll go that route.
Here goes:
Deck Config:
  Agent; Stealth; Baby Monitor; Encryption
  A: 4 S: 6(7) D: 5 F: 7(8 )
Hacking the Nately's house (Log 9 + Hacking 6 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 16): 16d6t5 9  (limit 7)
Good chance that'll work.
Then I'll need to hack the files, how long were we in there?  5 minutes?  I get 2-3 seconds per edit file action, so I need like 100 tests?  eek.  Tecumseh, lemme know how you want to handle it.  The joys of orokos, I can make the rolls easilly enough :P I've got a mark on her biomonitor, what do I need to do to have it report that everything is a-ok?
Hacking Mr. Nately's phone (really this time) (Log 9 + Hacking 6 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 16): 16d6t5 1 Fail.  His phone has a mark on me (we can safely assume) and he's been notified, trying again:
Hacking Mr. Nately's phone (really this time) (again) (Log 9 + Hacking 6 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 16): 16d6t5 6 (limit 7)
Can I then unlock the phone?  I don't see any rules for "locked devices" just files.  Here's assuming it's Crack File:
Unlocking Mr. Nately's Phone (Log 9 + Hacking 6 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 16): 16d6t5 4 (limit 7) I've no idea what die pool I'm going against here, if it's more than a die pool of 10, he'll throw edge at it otherwise he won't bother.
Edge to re-roll misses (12): 12d6t5 2 (Almost got him to his limit)

Once the phone is unlocked, Doc will hand it Ohanzee.

For the Plan(tm) I vote boondocking it for a full heal then moving on.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #740 on: <01-06-15/2032:19> »
There were rating 1 devices in the house, and Tec mentioned that you could use that to mark the host. Though with your roll, you could simply do it from the RV and kill two birds with one stone.

I'm guessing that control device would work for having the biomonitor report what you desire. I don't think they were slaved to the house, so you will have to hack them separately (which you would have to do anyway). I think you already rolled for Mrs. Nately's earlier.

Successfully getting a mark on the phone "unlocks" it, though you might need additional marks in order to access additional features. Ohanzee has no need for his phone, so you should just hold on to it - maybe dig through it for useful info. Not that I have much idea what you would look for.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #741 on: <01-06-15/2051:34> »
Before i post, lemme try and clear some things up.

The end plan was NOT to blow the house up? Just to burn it down? And to NOT leave explosive traps for our pursuers, correct?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #742 on: <01-06-15/2223:09> »
That is correct. Killing legions of faceless minions was determined to be a waste of valuable resources. The working assumption is that they have a near limitless supply and aren't afraid to use them.

Which makes me wish I could assense one of them as I suspect they are infected with the same non - organic affliction we have, only more progressed, which inspires their fanaticism.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #743 on: <01-06-15/2235:09> »
My responses in red below

There were rating 1 devices in the house, and Tec mentioned that you could use that to mark the host. Though with your roll, you could simply do it from the RV and kill two birds with one stone. We've left the house, so that ship sailed.  I wasn't able to get anything done in the house before you guys left.  I guess since I never IC'd leaving the house, I could stay behind and then come catch up to you guys.  That said, the roll is pretty good, and I'm confident it would work from the RV just fine.

I'm guessing that control device would work for having the biomonitor report what you desire. I don't think they were slaved to the house, so you will have to hack them separately (which you would have to do anyway). I think you already rolled for Mrs. Nately's earlier.  Control device might work?  Dunno, I can see needing to constantly do that though.  Just one "report a-ok" might work, but I don't know what to report to.  Dunno what to do about subsequent reports either, which is why I was asking.  I have indeed already hacked Mrs. Nately's but we haven't found Mr. Nately's yet.

Successfully getting a mark on the phone "unlocks" it, though you might need additional marks in order to access additional features. Ohanzee has no need for his phone, so you should just hold on to it - maybe dig through it for useful info. Not that I have much idea what you would look for.  Where did you read about the mark "unlocks" and the list of features?  I've not read any reference to any of this, but I've missed lots and lots that was right in front of my face, so just looking to learn here.  And Doc would hand Ohanzee the phone to send the message unless he remembers he's got con/etiquette.  Otherwise, a -1 on his 3 char isn't a very good die pool.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #744 on: <01-07-15/0031:15> »
Since we aren't in combat, I'm thinking you could do whatever before we left the house. Basically we are largely doing our IC around the leaving of the houses, getting each character up to the point of boarding the RV ready to leave town.

As far as the biomonitors are concerned, and video surveillance for that matter, I'm not fond of the edit file rules requiring constant complex actions every round since you are bound to fail at least once for a sufficiently long task. In cases where the editing is particularly dynamic or complex, it makes sense, but if you are performing what essentially boils down to looping, I think that a single test or a longer interval makes sense. But this will depend on how Tec decides to play it.

As for marks unlocking devices, essentially everything is a matrix action. Gaining marks is what allows you to perform matrix actions on or using a device. There are a few exceptions, like working with files and driving a vehicle manually (most items seem to have a manual "interface" that can be used without requiring marks). Also, so far we have been playing that devices used to form personas can be left unlocked if the user was using it and hasn't properly logged off. I don't think that is RAW, but we've been playing that way since we jacked the Suv, so this is a Tabula Rasa specific exception.

Normally, you can't share marks, so actually unlocking a device for anyone to be able to just use it isn't allowed. You would have to have 4 marks and have the device invite marks from the users you want to share with, which requires being the owner of the device. The problem is that if you physically hold the device and the user wasn't given the opportunity to log off, how does it know that you aren't the original user? Biometrics, and brainwaves in the case of DNI, would likely allow this sort of constant authentication making obtaining an "unlocked" device nearly impossible. But until the matrix rulebook, this is largely left to the individual GM.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #745 on: <01-07-15/0130:03> »
@Zweiblumen
The Natelys are sedated and will be out for the next 8 hours or so.

With 7 hits it doesn't make a ton of difference whether you hack a R1 device in the home or the R2 vehicle. I will note that Doc hasn't rebooted in a while so he's still accumulating OS.

Resisting Hack on the Fly: 1 hit, an easy mark. That gives you a mark on the host too.

As for editing files, the "one edit per combat turn" is more for editing teammates out of video that might be actively monitored by security personnel. Editing an existing file - a log of footage, for example - is easier if you just want to delete it or make it a static image. It's more complex if you want to add realistic activity (people coming and going, etc.) but if the adjustment is relatively simple then one Edit will suffice.

Odds of rolling only 1 hit on 16 dice: about 1.4%. Nice work.

Mr. Nately's commlink resisting hacking: 4 hits and 2 hits, so failure the first time but success the second

Getting a mark on the commlink is enough to "unlock" it, although you'll still need to use matrix actions to perform any functions that require a mark. This isn't explicitly in the book; it's just an extrapolation from what is in the rules. Ohanzee doesn't have marks on the commlink himself so he would only be able to perform functions that don't require a mark, like Send Message. (I don't know why Send Message says "n/a (or 1)" for Marks Required. Let's treat it as 0 for now.)

You don't need to use the Crack File unless you're trying to read a protected file, so no need for that roll (or Edge).

You have a mark on Mrs. Nately's biomonitor. It knows where to report its data, so you would just need to spoof an "all clear" signal. It currently shows Mrs. Nately as sleeping deeply.

I think Mal and I are on the same page for most of this. As for Mrs. Nately's commlink still being active/unlocked, this isn't explicitly spelled out in the book either. It comes back to what Ownership is and how a device knows who it's mommy/daddy is. Biometrics likely play a roll, and since Mrs. Nately was actively using the device I'm grandfathering in your access to it. (Otherwise, it would be impossible for someone to hand their commlink to a friend or anyone else without the other person needing to hack it.) If there's ever a rulebook for the Matrix this may be explained more fully.

Current OS: 28. You'll be coming up on your 15-minute interval within the next five minutes.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #746 on: <01-07-15/1221:55> »
Since we aren't in combat, I'm thinking you could do whatever before we left the house. Basically we are largely doing our IC around the leaving of the houses, getting each character up to the point of boarding the RV ready to leave town.

I'm also of this impression, or I wouldn't have posted to move things along.  Since Tecumseh didn't respond to this, can we please get some clarification, Tec?

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #747 on: <01-07-15/1308:56> »

I'm also of this impression, or I wouldn't have posted to move things along.  Since Tecumseh didn't respond to this, can we please get some clarification, Tec?

Generally speaking, this is correct. Since we are not in initiative passes / combat turns the precise sequencing of events is more fluid and can be amended more easily. Just because Doc says that he's left the house doesn't preclude him from either 1) stepping back inside, or 2) mentioning that he did something before leaving.

The limit is that you are packing up quickly and trying to depart within 5-10 minutes. Anything that can be accomplished within a few minutes is fair game, but saying, "Oh and before I left the house I went back and painted the living room with a mural of the Last Supper to fulfill my Signature negative quality" won't work.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #748 on: <01-07-15/1313:55> »
Thanks for the clarification everyone.  I'm guessing I'm being overly technical in the action moving along.  As all of you mentioned, we aren't in combat, so precise timing shouldn't matter.  Do we still want to fix the autodoc?  If so, Tecumseh, how long does Doc think it'll take?

The "crack file" was a "just in case it's the right thing to do" roll.  Figured it was easier for me to over-roll and let you throw things out than go back and forth with me not rolling enough :)

For the edit, he'll just loop the footage from an hour earlier in to hide the video of them, but not leave a glaring whole in the footage (once watched it'll be obvious, but just a cursoury glance at timestamps and such wouldn't see anything amiss).
Edit File video edit (Log 9 + Comp 5 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 15): 15d6t5 2
Guessing that's gonna fail, he'll try again (-1 die?)
Edit File video edit (again) (Log 9 + Comp 5 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 - Retry 1 = 14): 14d6t5 5
Better.

Once that is done, he'll reboot.  IC up after we decide on the autodoc.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #749 on: <01-07-15/1328:45> »
I don't have any strong feelings about the auto-doc, but given our time constraints it may be more trouble than it's worth.  I think the big thing is sounding the all-clear from Mrs. Nately's bio-monitor.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal