NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #705 on: <01-05-15/0046:37> »
@Zweiblumen, Doc has turned up everything he can find within the 1 minute threshold. He'll need to dedicate more time to it (30 minutes) to find out anything more.

The devs have stated that a device needs to be online the entire time that ownership is being hacked. I think the idea was to make it almost impossible to hack ownership without getting unrealistically lucky on the 15-minute interval rolls for your Overwatch Score. However, as Zweiblumen points out, transferring ownership isn't even a matrix action. It requires Hardware and would not generate any OS on its own since it is neither an Attack nor a Sleaze action.

As a middle ground, let's say that hacking ownership does require a Matrix signal but does not incur OS.

@rednblack, making your rolls since they're straight-forward.

AGI 9 + Close Combat 4 + Charging 2 + Touch-only 2 = 17 dice = 7 hits, that's your Physical limit
Mrs. Nately defense: surprised, no defense possible
Soaking 16S(e): 0 hits

She takes 16S. That's 10S to KO her, the remaining 6S converts to 3P. She's out.

@Malevolence, the rest of the house looks empty. IC post incoming.
« Last Edit: <01-05-15/1440:46> by Tecumseh »

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #706 on: <01-05-15/0102:13> »
@Zweiblumen, Doc has turned up everything he can find within the 1 minute threshold. He'll need to dedicate more time to it (30 minutes) to find out anything more.

The devs have stated that a device needs to be online the entire time that ownership is being hacked. I think the idea was to make it almost impossible to hack ownership without getting unrealistically lucky on the 15-minute interval rolls for your Overwatch Score. However, as Zweiblumen points out, transferring ownership isn't even a matrix action. It requires Hardware and would not generate any OS on its own since it is neither an Attack nor a Sleaze action.

As a middle ground, let's say that hacking ownership does require a Matrix signal but does not incur OS.
Figured as much on the search (man that was a bad roll).  Thanks.
And I'll take the middle ground!
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #707 on: <01-05-15/1314:58> »
Can Ace use Hardware to try to shut down the CAD drone before the call gets placed?  If it's too late for that, would his Hardware skill give him any inkling of what hitting it with the shock hand might do?  Specifically, might the drone short out and issue a lot of response calls that would be seen by people on the other end as a drone shorting out, as opposed to a client in mortal danger?

That drone is fragging fast.  Will hold off posting IC until I have a better idea of what my options are here -- aside from the obvious bugging out, of course. 

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #708 on: <01-05-15/1323:54> »
@rednblack
Hitting it with a shock hand will likely disable it. Without hacking it, Ace wouldn't know at what exact point a call for help would be made. Hardware could also be used to manually disable it.

OOCly, I wrote a longer post to avoid a sentence-by-sentence back-and-forth of "the drone says this, do you want to act now? then the drone says this, do you want to act now?" If Ace would preemptively KO an autodoc upon its appearance, or at a certain point in its speech, then we can do that. Ace has the reflexes to intervene quickly.

@Everyone
Holiday's over. Daily posting resumes!

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #709 on: <01-05-15/1337:10> »
@rednblack
Hitting it with a shock hand will likely disable it. Without hacking it, Ace wouldn't know at what exact point a call for help would be made. Hardware could also be used to manually disable it.

OOCly, I wrote a longer post to avoid a sentence-by-sentence back-and-forth of "the drone says this, do you want to act now? then the drone says this, do you want to act now?" If Ace would preemptively KO an autodoc upon its appearance, or at a certain point in its speech, then we can do that. Ace has the reflexes to intervene quickly.

Ace would try to bring the drone down as soon as he saw it was on alert, and his first impulse would probably be to think it was coming for him, and not to provide medical assistance.  I'll leave it to you, but if the option is there to take out the drone early, here's the crunch:

Initiative: 7+2d6 13

Attack! AGI(9)+Close Combat(4)+Touch Only(2)+Charge(2): 17d6t5 8
Physical Limit is 7, so 7 hits.  It may be questionable if Charge counts here. 

Fingers crossed that the call didn't get put in as soon as Mrs. Nately's bio-monitor, or whatever, registered that she had a shock. 
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #710 on: <01-05-15/1346:09> »
Charge would not apply but dropping 2 dice still leaves you with 7 hits.

Drone dodge: 2 hits

Net damage is 9+5 = 14S(e).

Soak: 0 hits, waa waa. Drone is KO'd.

Ace's electrical rampage continues. I'll revise the IC to give an opening to Ace. @redblack, go ahead and pose your take-down ICly.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #711 on: <01-05-15/1401:34> »
Even with the drone KO'd, it'd be prudent to have Doc direct connect and check if the call has gone out, cancel it if it has, and hack the biomonitors to report everything normal. rednblack can put that in his IC or I can once the whole drone thing is resolved.

I had a whole plan involving Trid Phantasm and a call to the emergency dispatcher by Mr. Nately waving them off. In either case, he'll be outside to greet Doc and usher him in, and he and the Mrs. will be preforming a pre-journey inspection on the RV so that any neighbors watching think things are on the up and up.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #712 on: <01-05-15/1413:25> »
@Tec: lemme know what you want me to roll for going through the drones logs with a DC.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #713 on: <01-05-15/1414:02> »
Even with the drone KO'd, it'd be prudent to have Doc direct connect and check if the call has gone out, cancel it if it has, and hack the biomonitors to report everything normal. rednblack can put that in his IC or I can once the whole drone thing is resolved.

I had a whole plan involving Trid Phantasm and a call to the emergency dispatcher by Mr. Nately waving them off. In either case, he'll be outside to greet Doc and usher him in, and he and the Mrs. will be preforming a pre-journey inspection on the RV so that any neighbors watching think things are on the up and up.

Let's have Ohanzee suggest that.  Doc can run over while Ace tries to get the RV started, right?  If the commlinks will let the team gain access, we'll go that route.  If not,

AGI(9)+Locksmith(4) v. RV 1st attempt: 13d6t5 2
Let's edge that.

Edge re-roll failures on locksmith roll: 11d6t5 2
« Last Edit: <01-05-15/1421:35> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #714 on: <01-05-15/1415:53> »
Oh, and someone needs to TELL Doc to come.  None of this activity would have been obvious to anyone.  I don't think even the agent would pick on up this doing his overwatch on *our* house.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #715 on: <01-05-15/1425:07> »
In the interest of time, I just updated IC to have Ace request assistance from Doc.  Cool?
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #716 on: <01-05-15/1430:10> »

The illusion of the Natelys:Trid Phantasm (the Natelys, force 6, using channeling) [ Magic 6 + Spellcasting 5 + Power Focus 2 - Wound 2]: 11d6t5 4
Drain resist (vs 6 stun):
Resist Drain [WIL 6 + CHA 6 + Centering 1]: 13d6t5 3
Man, I can't get a break on the drain resists. 3 more stun and another wound modifier.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #717 on: <01-05-15/1451:46> »
@rednblack: WFM

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #718 on: <01-05-15/1452:28> »
I wasn't clear about it but the drone is toast. From p. 171:

Electronic equipment and drones can also be affected
by Electricity damage. They never suffer Stun damage
so Electricity damage is Physical when used against
electronics and drones.

Doc can't tell if the drone made a call without repairing it first.

Mr. Nately's commlink is a Transys Avalon but it is currently locked / password protected.

Mrs. Nately's commlink is still active/unlocked since she was making a call. It is also a Transys Avalon. Picking it up reveals that she was speaking to Edward J. Nately III. The call has been dropped.

Her comm will give you access to the RV, so no need for Locksmith rolls. Also, Locksmith tests are fairly generous Extended tests (p. 363) so there's generally no need to Edge them unless you glitch or are in a HUGE hurry.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #719 on: <01-05-15/1509:07> »
Perception to find the things Ohanzee has directed Ace to look for.

Perception (credsticks, clothes, extra comms, etc.) Taking +3 for specifically looking: 10d6t5 2

Not great, but hopefully most of those are in the regular spots. 
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal