NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #390 on: <12-13-14/1355:13> »
ETA2: On further reflection, not having it detect that it has taken on passengers might be more effective since the investigators would assume that the thieves were covering their tracks. The less evidence there is, the more competent it might appear the perpetrators were, rather than leading the authorities to believe it was never occupied. Probably a balance will need to be struck - if there is NOTHING to indicate it was occupied, it might arouse suspicion. Hence the "entry" and "exit" in secluded areas. But we start to tread into the over-thinking it at this point - I think our intent is clear, so we should let the die roll determine how well we did with the details.

It almost sounds like we need an extended con test here or something.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #391 on: <12-13-14/1403:34> »
Doc could hack into a camera feed at a ski resort parking lot but this is not trivial. It requires hacking the host to which the camera is slaved and then snooping the feeds. All of this adds opportunities to fail and Overwatch Score. It is certainly an option but it's not a freebie. The final approach is ultimately Zweiblumen's choice.

Katsina would likely request that the concealment not cover her and Ace (and Chino, depending).

However, if you wish to reduce the force of the spirit then we'll need to roll to determine which dice of the Spirit resist roll are dropped. This is to prevent OOC knowledge (and metagaming) of which dice are discarded - hits or misses - especially since we already know that this is important for Ohanzee's drain soak and use of Edge. So if you reduce it to Force 6 then we'll roll 1 die, if you reduced to Force 5 then we'll roll 2 dice, and then subtract those (hits or misses) from the Spirit resist, then calculate the drain with your existing rolls (using the Edge reroll if necessary and discarding it if it unnecessary).

Do note that lowering the Force will also reduce the effectiveness of the Concealment power.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #392 on: <12-13-14/1459:29> »
Doc could hack into a camera feed at a ski resort parking lot but this is not trivial. It requires hacking the host to which the camera is slaved and then snooping the feeds. All of this adds opportunities to fail and Overwatch Score. It is certainly an option but it's not a freebie. The final approach is ultimately Zweiblumen's choice.
Good point. There may be other easier to hack cameras that would provide the same information, but it sounds like having Ace and Kat identify a suitable candidate is just simpler all around.

This does give me an idea, if people aren't tired of my suggestions yet, for how to spend some of our nuyen - MCT Fly Spy. An eye in the sky (that can share what it sees with the party, unlike a projecting mage) can be very useful. Hopefully someone has Pilot Aircraft and just doesn't know it yet, otherwise we'll have to work around the dog-brain's limitations.

Katsina would likely request that the concealment not cover her and Ace (and Chino, depending).

However, if you wish to reduce the force of the spirit then we'll need to roll to determine which dice of the Spirit resist roll are dropped. This is to prevent OOC knowledge (and metagaming) of which dice are discarded - hits or misses - especially since we already know that this is important for Ohanzee's drain soak and use of Edge. So if you reduce it to Force 6 then we'll roll 1 die, if you reduced to Force 5 then we'll roll 2 dice, and then subtract those (hits or misses) from the Spirit resist, then calculate the drain with your existing rolls (using the Edge reroll if necessary and discarding it if it unnecessary).

Do note that lowering the Force will also reduce the effectiveness of the Concealment power.
I'm feeling too lazy to rewrite the post, so we'll keep it at Force 7 - it is merely coincidence that my decision makes sense from a metagaming standpoint as well, but I'll take it.
Ace and Katsina could find the concealment useful for their initial departure from the house anyway, and if they order their in-town business (and watch out for cars!) the can take advantage of the concealment even more, then lose it when ready by actively trying to be spotted (fake a loud argument in a crowded place, etc).

Lastly, nuyen. I'm assuming that we don't actually have to hand Ace our credsticks to give him nuyen. We could transfer an amount from them to his. Can we do that remotely (that is, keep the nuyen on our credsticks, and then send whatever he needs in town to him as he needs it)?

Also, when ordering my stuff, do I pay in advance or on pickup? I'm assuming in advance, at least for the mask which required customization work. This impacts how much and when I give Ace nuyen.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

8-bit

« Reply #393 on: <12-13-14/1832:12> »
So, after being away all day because of a plane ride, I come home to no internet. And then a super busy Saturday. Sorry for being slow for everyone.

Will review everything to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Edit: On the credsticks ...

Quote from: Core Rule Book; page 442
Certified credstick: Cash for the late 21st century. A certified credstick is not registered to any specific person— the electronic funds encoded on it belong to the holder, requiring no special ID or authorization to use. The bad news is that you can be physically mugged, any money you have on your credstick jacked and rolled. The good news is that certified credsticks are completely untraceable. They’re not even wireless—you have to slot them into a universal data connector to transfer cash onto or off of them. This makes them enduringly popular with shadowrunners and the Mr. Johnsons who love to hire them.
« Last Edit: <12-13-14/1836:44> by 8-bit »

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #394 on: <12-13-14/1844:42> »
Thanks 8-bit.

What I'm asking rather splits hairs. I have to slot the credstick to get credits on or off, sure, but I can slot them to any Matrix connected UDC (like the one on my commlink) and if I do, can I then transfer those credits over the Matrix to a recipient that is not physically present? I would imagine so, otherwise there would be no online purchasing.

So the question then becomes can only merchants accept online transactions and everyone else has to meet in person to exchange money (like modern day pre-PayPal) or can anybody send money to anyone anywhere (like modern day with PayPal, Google Wallet, Bitcoin, etc)?

ETA - "meet in person" should be "use physical or non instantaneous means like mailed checks and wire transfers"
« Last Edit: <12-13-14/1852:49> by Malevolence »
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

8-bit

« Reply #395 on: <12-13-14/1846:15> »
You know, I never thought of that. That's a good question.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #396 on: <12-14-14/0224:19> »
Without getting too deep into the banking and payments systems of the Sixth World - which I have not thoroughly researched - I am going to say that if you slot a certified credstick into your commlink then you can transmit that money wirelessly anywhere you like. You can give Ace nuyen either by letting him load your credstick onto his commlink (for an amount you authorize) or by loading some or all of it onto your commlink before transferring it wirelessly to his commlink.

Ohanzee does not have to pay for the ballistic mask in advance. This is Aspen - where customers expect the benefit of the doubt - plus Ohanzee is charming as hell.

Before she casts her spells, Katsina is going to take a wild shot at an Armorer roll in an attempt to make Ace's tailored clothes less soft: Logic 5 - 1 Defaulting = 3 hits!. The hot streak continues. Katsina will be able to cannibalize an out-of-season camouflage suit for a few points of armor to add to the nice clothes she is tailoring for Ace.

Speaking of spells, I neglected to remove two dice as a sustaining penalty from Katsina's second spellcasting yesterday. However, Detect Enemies already had 7 hits and was already limited by being Force 4, so dropping two dice (as hits or misses) does not impact anything. Please feel free to call me out if I screw up my own rolls; it is not intentional.

IC post in progress.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #397 on: <12-14-14/0320:34> »
Per the IC post, casting Magic Fingers @ F4: 1 hit on 14 dice. Ha, knew my luck would run out eventually.
Soaking 2 Drain: 1 hit on 12 dice. Double ha. That's what I get for casting unnecessarily for RP purposes. Katsina eats 1 box of stun.

@rednblack, Ace's tailored outfit is nicely done. It has Armor 6, Insulation 2, and none of the social consequences of Ace's Survivalist suit. You wouldn't want to spend the night outside in it but it should be good for the current conditions (-4C / 25F, light breeze). The aesthetic details of the new outfit are up to you.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #398 on: <12-14-14/0330:54> »
Should have done this with Ohanzee's roll. Doc's medicine.
Medicine roll for Doc Medicine(5) + Logic(9) - Wounds(1) = 13: 13d6t5 4
Good enough

I'll write up docs IC in the morning. Doing this from my phone. He'll remind them about medkit supplies and maybe an armorer kit?

Deferring to Tec's ruling on the cred stick, but I'd think that you could transfer money to accounts via your comm, but not to another comm. you'd be able to transfer to another stick locally, or from acct to acct wirelessly, but not stick to stick wirelessly.  That would make the stick insecure and pointless. Just my 2 cents 😃
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #399 on: <12-14-14/0332:37> »
Correct me if im wrong, but Sam has no credstick on him and no money in any account he can find?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #400 on: <12-14-14/0349:41> »
Deferring to Tec's ruling on the cred stick, but I'd think that you could transfer money to accounts via your comm, but not to another comm. you'd be able to transfer to another stick locally, or from acct to acct wirelessly, but not stick to stick wirelessly.

I wasn't suggesting that money would be transferred from stick-to-stick wirelessly. Rather, that it would go stick1>comm1>comm2>stick2, with the wireless communication taking place between the two commlinks. The money would be loaded onto the commlinks as an intermediary step, not transferred wirelessly directly between the two sticks.

Correct me if im wrong, but Sam has no credstick on him and no money in any account he can find?

Ryo didn't leave me much information on possessions. I think the assumption was that most people had already found/recovered everything after they woke up. That said, it seems improbable that Sam wouldn't have any money of his own. I'll check with Ryo but he hasn't responded to a PM I sent him a couple days ago about lifestyles so I don't know how soon he'll get back to me.

@Poindexter, if there's something you're interested in buying I will roll a figure for you.

@rednblack, do you have any nuyen you know about? You're the only other one without any listed on your sheet.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #401 on: <12-14-14/0352:23> »
if there's something you're interested in buying I will roll a figure for you.

There's nothing Sam would really like to buy, but the fact that He possesses no currency IS rather interesting information, if it's accurate.
I'd just like to know for sure, y'know?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #402 on: <12-14-14/1632:19> »
Deferring to Tec's ruling on the cred stick, but I'd think that you could transfer money to accounts via your comm, but not to another comm. you'd be able to transfer to another stick locally, or from acct to acct wirelessly, but not stick to stick wirelessly.

I wasn't suggesting that money would be transferred from stick-to-stick wirelessly. Rather, that it would go stick1>comm1>comm2>stick2, with the wireless communication taking place between the two commlinks. The money would be loaded onto the commlinks as an intermediary step, not transferred wirelessly directly between the two sticks.

stick1 -> comm1 -> comm2 -> stick2 is specifically what I would think would not work.  Everyone would just have a credstick perma-installed in their comms turning them into a wireless credstick.  This would make world-wide traceless money transfers trival and take a huge cut out of the banks profits.  I would say it would need to go stick1 -> comm1 -> account1 -> account2 -> comm2 -> stick2.  But that leaves trails people can follow.  stick1 -> comm1 -> stick2 is pretty much the way I see to do transfers no one else can trace.

Which is all moot, I'm just waxing poetic here :)  Tecumseh says we can do it so it's all good.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #403 on: <12-14-14/1656:47> »
@Tecumseh: Since I fell short on the threshold do I find absolutely nothing?  Is this a dead end for me?  I'm halfway through writing this up and realize I don't know what I don't know :)

FWIW, information I was looking for was of course detailed history on the peice itself but also who would be interested in it and how much it would be worth.  I'm sure that the detailed history of it was the threshold 6 information and don't expect to find anything there.  Just stretching and trying to twist my failure into something salvagable :)

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #404 on: <12-14-14/2341:43> »
@Zweiblumen, I will PM you what you find so that you can make the results IC.

Next steps
- We'll move things forward ICly once rednblack has a chance to post.
- Don't worry about continuity too much for the next few hours of IC time. We might be bouncing back and forth between what's happening in town versus what people at the cabin are doing and those timelines won't always sync up.
- Please feel free to continue plotting/scheming/RPing amongst yourselves. Blue Team could just drive off without Red Team, you know. Or vice versa.

In holiday news, I will be traveling to a cabin Idaho next Saturday. It's actually the model for the cabin where the PCs are now, although I've merged on some features from other cabins where I have stayed in the past. I will be gone for a week. I will have internet access but the connectivity speed varies unpredictably between DSL and an epileptic telegraph. My posting rate will slow down, but I predict it will be the same for many of you too. Nevertheless, we'll make as much progress as we can this week before going into our bye week.