NEWS

Bows?

• 97 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #75 on: <05-31-13/1826:55> »
I think this is partially because Arsenal predates the Stealth-errata where bows received an Availability based on rating and arrows became more expensive at a higher rating. Which is silly given how the other arrows don't.

HeroLab simply uses fixed costs for all arrows, while Collapsible Bow in HeroLab is 4R+Ratingx2. So a Rating-8 Collapsible Bow is Availability 20R.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #76 on: <05-31-13/1956:46> »
My point was predating a particular book means when you put out an update or errata or whatever, the other books gets edited to match the new rule. They edited in a new availability for bows quite some time ago in SR4A and in the meanwhile they released a new Arsenal with cover art and updated page references. They could have also just as easily updated the bow availability at the same time.
Editing seems to be an area of publishing where Catalyst frequently drops the ball. I don't know why exactly but it is something they should look into.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #77 on: <05-31-13/2003:23> »
I hope that now that they're not stuck with the FanPro past it will improve.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Halarion

• Newb
« Reply #78 on: <06-01-13/0244:05> »
Seeing as this is about bows, i was wondering if you can make a Victorinox SmartStaff into a bow and what stats it would have?

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #79 on: <06-01-13/1611:02> »
Editing seems to be an area of publishing where Catalyst frequently drops the ball. I don't know why exactly but it is something they should look into.
Shadowrun has thousands of fans with years to find tiny mistakes. The editors have multiple books and limited deadlines, and when mistakes are found, there are (at least sometimes) reprints to correct.

The meatspace group I game with alternated with Rifts (published by Palladium Books). There wasn't a week where the GM didn't make a houseruling because 2 books would say 3 things (or 12 books wouldn't say a single thing). That's bad horrible editing, and I don't believe that they've ever released a reprint.

As far as the bow, I think that the smartstaff was broken in being able to do anything, but you could make a victorinox  weapon that unfurls into a bow, it would basically be a reskinned Collapsible Bow. Personally I thought the smartstaff was implausible because it could go from Cudgel to Shortsword, if it had been various types of blades or blunt weapons then I think it would've been much more feasible - that wouldn't require as much structure change.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #80 on: <06-04-13/0937:29> »
Errata taking time is understandable.

However, when their German distributor produces errata-fixed edition of books based largely off errata documents provided by Catalyst, and the same books in English still have no errata YEARS later, that excuse starts to wear a little thin.

I wish I could tell my boss "we don't have the time" when he dumps yet another load of work on, but he'd just roar "Make the time!". Assuming he didn't fire me.

-k

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #81 on: <06-04-13/1711:52> »
I wish I could tell my boss "we don't have the time" when he dumps yet another load of work on, but he'd just roar "Make the time!". Assuming he didn't fire me.
Which kind of illustrates our, individual, perspectives on the matter -- you do what your boss tells you to do.  Not just what a customer tells you to do, and not necessarily what you want to do, but what your boss (and the contract) says is the next project.  ;)

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #82 on: <06-05-13/0702:42> »
Right, exactly. Errata doesn't make money and until people actually stop buying books because of the poor editing/proofreading and lack of errata, Catalyst won't care.

Edit: to be clear, I mean "the people who make the business decisions at Catalyst" not "every single individual who works for Catalyst."

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #83 on: <06-05-13/1341:16> »
I think it's also a case of the translators catching alot of tiny mistakes as they are translating from English to whatever other language. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a clause built in that they are allowed to 'tweak' things for the sake of translation, and use that to fix some of the strangeness they find along the way...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #84 on: <06-05-13/1921:39> »
Then they should translate it back to English and fix stuff that direction, too...

Like, we could have a "English > German > English Runner's Blackbook" or whatever.   ;D
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #85 on: <06-05-13/2023:42> »
Part of it is that translation isn't an exact process - German might not permit for the same ambiguities that have caused issues (IE, German might have different ambiguities.).

Karma: In development of any sort, someone has to be responsible for being able to say whether or not the resources, time included, are available to do any given thing.  If that person decides that there isn't enough time, or that there are better uses for that time, "make time" isn't a viable response.  It's the same way you get games shipping with known bugs, actually.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Archone

• Newb
« Reply #86 on: <06-07-13/1956:30> »
In my current campaign the team's Sammie is a female Ork and member of the Cascade-Ork tribe. Her cyberware includes boosted muscles for extreme strength, and her weapon of choice... a custom bow. She tends to kill instantly with a single shot.

However, I also like to reward players for creativity. One of my other player's character is a SURGE who looks like Applejack from MLP: FIM and acts like Kaylee from Firefly. She's the team's rigger, and she has built a few things specifically for her friend Rosa. One: a drone that builds any kind of arrow she has the schematic for (so Rosa can get arrows without having to check for availability. Full price for each arrow, of course. She still has to pay for the materials). So Rosa's custom quiver not only includes the standard broadheads, but also stick-n-shock arrows (for when she needs to keep the target alive) and grenade arrows (Same stats as an HE grenade, but archery ranges).

I did have a player in a previous game whose character was a mage with a bow and custom spells. She had a very low rate of fire (Even with her Increase Reflexes spell), but it still worked pretty well. One initiative pass spent casting a spell to enchant the arrow. One initiative pass to fire the enchanted arrow. Cue the AOE stun effect, at low drain cost when compared to a stunball. Really, a bow is a method for propelling a stick-like object a considerable distance, silently and without relying on chemical propellants. There's all kinds of ways to be creative with that.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #87 on: <06-07-13/2035:44> »

I did have a player in a previous game whose character was a mage with a bow and custom spells. She had a very low rate of fire (Even with her Increase Reflexes spell), but it still worked pretty well. One initiative pass spent casting a spell to enchant the arrow. One initiative pass to fire the enchanted arrow. Cue the AOE stun effect, at low drain cost when compared to a stunball. Really, a bow is a method for propelling a stick-like object a considerable distance, silently and without relying on chemical propellants. There's all kinds of ways to be creative with that.

Wow, really bending the rules there aren't ya :p

Missile weapons can't be 'enchanted'

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #88 on: <06-08-13/0207:31> »
Dynamite Arrows from a 2069 Dodge Charger?  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #89 on: <06-08-13/0402:59> »
Dynamite Arrows from a 2069 Dodge Charger?  ;D

Hey! They where just some good ol' boys! They never did no harm!