NEWS

Shadow Spells

• 64 Replies

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <09-25-14/1733:30> »
@ Critias
Could You please explain why 4 Traditions that are in SR4A where omitted in the SR5 Street Grimoire only to be printed in the Shadow spells PDF ?
For Me as an outstanding Person this looks exactly like CGL has been withholding some of the Material just to make extra Cash with this PDF.
From what I've read from You I consider you as a sincere Person and Freelancer and If you say that the two branches ( E-Books and Standard Books) are working seperately  I take your Word ! But from my Point of View this looks extremely either like Money grubbing or extreme lack of communicating between those two departments and more than just a coincidence that exactly those 4 Traditions that are missing in Street Grimoire now apppear in Shadow Spells....

with a wary Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #16 on: <09-25-14/1757:32> »
By the looks of it (I could be wrong, I don't have the book) aren't the traditions in Shadow Spells the ones that were in Digital Grimoire?  It'd make sense then for those ones to be updated separately.

Not to sound rude, but your complaint would be like complaining the SR5 core book didn't include literally everything from 4th edition already.

Quick question though, does it contain more rituals that don't require initiation to use?  I was building a magician recently and was a bit bummed when I realized almost every (90% at least) ritual added in SG needs a specific metamagic or initiation into an Art.  Which isn't a big deal, but it meant I couldn't start with more than 1 or 2 rituals I could make good use of.
« Last Edit: <09-25-14/1800:52> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #17 on: <09-25-14/1802:35> »
By the looks of it (I could be wrong, I don't have the book) aren't the traditions in Shadow Spells the ones that were in Digital Grimoire?  It'd make sense then for those ones to be updated separately.
Norse was in Street Magic. I'll compare traditions to SR4 (some things changed) and SG when I get SS.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Tarnus

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <09-25-14/1806:14> »
Norse was in Street Magic. I'll compare traditions to SR4 (some things changed) and SG when I get SS.

Dito Aboriginal tradition.

On everything else, I'm with Medicineman.

Edit: Disregard the last edit, apparently the Errata fixes that one.
« Last Edit: <09-25-14/1818:09> by Tarnus »

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <09-25-14/1843:32> »
Shadow Spells coming so soon off the heels of Street Grimoire makes me a little confused.

Is Shadow Spells basically Street Grimoire Part 2?

It's stuff cut out of Street Grimoire so they could sell it separately.
Say what you'd like about the quality of the product, share your opinion about the material itself, etc, etc, all you want to.  But please don't start this sort of rumor/misinformation.  The e-book line and the core book line are, by and large, entirely separate from each other (which is often bemoaned by those who complain about miscommunication and miscues between the two lines).  The e-books have their own line developer, in fact, and as I understand it, they own budget, pay rates, you name it.  Individual writers will often work for both, over time, but the two branches are separate enough they have individual google groups and lines of communication, in fact.  E-book writers often have an idea of what's coming down the pipeline elsewhere in Shadowrun, and may try to coordinate enough to go "Hey, there's a magic book hitting, let's do some magic stuff!" or something similar, but it's actually pretty rare for projects to share writers, except occasionally as folks proofing or contributing small snippets here and there.

So, no.  It's not material "cut" from anywhere.

What Medicineman and Michael Chandra said.  A number of things-- Traditions, spells, powers, that were in the 4th Street Magic were not in 5th ed Street Grimoire, only to wind up in this new Shadow Spells things. 

That's pretty clearly cutting things from SG to have them be in Shadow Spells.  It's pretty much the same thing as day 1 DLC.  It doesn't matter than the two books were written separately, I'm sure it was a decision that was made above your pay grade.  But it's still pretty clearly what happened. 

I also believe Digital Grimoire was several years later, and at the end of the edition cycle, relatively speaking.  That's very different than releasing it a couple months later, with material that clearly should belonged and would have fit in the main splatbook. 

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <09-25-14/1904:19> »
I also believe Digital Grimoire was several years later, and at the end of the edition cycle, relatively speaking.  That's very different than releasing it a couple months later, with material that clearly should belonged and would have fit in the main splatbook. 
Not exactly.

Street Magic, 2006.
Digital Grimoire, 2008.

DG was published a couple months after Unwired (2008), which is not really "the end of the edition cycle."

BTW, Street Grimoire is 40 pages longer than Street Magic.
« Last Edit: <09-25-14/1907:23> by Crimsondude »

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <09-25-14/1912:03> »
....., I did do some last minute writing for Street Grimoire, but that is again, a rarity......

.....Sir_P - Were the adept powers costs out of line with the main rulebook? I do aim for consistency.

They are very far out of line with the main rulebook.  They are much more in line with the Street Grimoire powers, which are also very much overcosted and underpowered, and I am very regretful didn't see any attention in today's errata.  If that was part of SG that you worked on, I would very much like to discuss it with you.

Just as an example (though ironically, this is a comparison with SG powers) :  You can, for .25 pts completely rearrange your face (additional levels just grant additional dice, you get the base ability with just 1).  This takes 1 minute or so, and is something that would be pretty difficult to do with prosthetic makeup and would certainly take longer.  Conversely, you change your skin color, something that would just take a jar of makeup, for .5 PP.  Or, even further conversely, you could grow your freaking hair out for .5 pp, over a number of hours.  Hell, you could go and get extensions at the salon in like 30-45 minutes.  Or buy a wig.

Enthralling Performance is a pretty good power.  The rest of them are either uninteresting, not terribly useful, or way too expensive. 

Not exactly.

Street Magic, 2006.
Digital Grimoire, 2008.

DG was published a couple months after Unwired (2008), which is not really "the end of the edition cycle."

BTW, Street Grimoire is 40 pages longer than Street Magic.

OK, it is still a couple years later, not a couple months, and that makes a big difference.  And more importantly, they pretty clearly left stuff out of SG just to sell it to us in Shadow Spells. 

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <09-25-14/1936:07> »
And more importantly, they pretty clearly left stuff out of SG just to sell it to us in Shadow Spells.

Critias has already explained this - so unless you are calling him a liar, my sincere advice to you is drop this line of rumormongering.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <09-25-14/2019:11> »
And more importantly, they pretty clearly left stuff out of SG just to sell it to us in Shadow Spells.

Critias has already explained this - so unless you are calling him a liar, my sincere advice to you is drop this line of rumormongering.

Ah.  SInce you felt obliged to say, "shut up, the NSA already told you they aren't spying on you" in two separate threads, I'll post the same response here:

I READ WHAT HE SAID.  I flat out do not to believe it.  Which is not to say I think Critias is lying, I just don't think it was a decision he was party to. It can be two separate writing teams and all that, that doesn't stop content from being withheld from SG just to appear in SS.

It's really, really clear this is Day One DLC.  Several things that were in Street Magic (not digital grimoire) were not in Street Grimoire, only to appear in this thing a couple months later.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <09-25-14/2020:22> »
There's that overreaction I mentioned  ;D
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

callmedinosaur

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <09-25-14/2026:51> »
OK, it is still a couple years later, not a couple months, and that makes a big difference.  And more importantly, they pretty clearly left stuff out of SG just to sell it to us in Shadow Spells.

that's kinda like saying they left stuff out of run&gun just to sell us gun heaven 3 a couple months earlier...
honestly i don't get what you want outside of everything to be exactly how it was before, street grimoire for all it's faults is huge and includes a lot of new stuff in it. it is a different book from street magic. are they under obligation to correct the faults in the book? YES. is it unreasonable of them to release a light magic rules pdf, including some of the old stuff that didn't make the cut for SG for the benefit of the old players who might miss it? NO around the same couple months so as to complement the other release... um also not unreasonable
i just don't understand where the sense of entitlement comes from where you expect everything to be exactly the same

rawr rawr

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <09-25-14/2034:23> »

that's kinda like saying they left stuff out of run&gun just to sell us gun heaven 3 a couple months earlier...

I don't see how that's anything alike at all, actually.

honestly i don't get what you want outside of everything to be exactly how it was before, street grimoire for all it's faults is huge and includes a lot of new stuff in it. it is a different book from street magic. are they under obligation to correct the faults in the book? YES. is it unreasonable of them to release a light magic rules pdf, including some of the old stuff that didn't make the cut for SG for the benefit of the old players who might miss it? NO around the same couple months so as to complement the other release... um also not unreasonable
i just don't understand where the sense of entitlement comes from where you expect everything to be exactly the same

If you don't understand, I will point you to the 1,000's of articles and blogs about day one DLC.

Chance

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: <09-25-14/2059:01> »
Being a PDF e-book though, this would not be Missions legal correct?

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <09-25-14/2108:00> »
Just about every other e-book is Missions legal (Bullets & Bandages being the exception), so I'd anticipate this one being legal as well.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <09-25-14/2119:22> »
Lot of people that want to play Norse mages, for instance......and they al thought leaving it out of SG, when it had been in Street Magic, was mighty weird.