NEWS

Shadowrun Mercs

• 57 Replies

bobo69

• Chummer
« on: <02-25-13/2100:30> »
Very nice sourcebook, liked the small hints on the goings on in Africa esp. in the Congo Tribal Lands....

Yeah, the Congo Tribal lands deserve their own PDF sourcebook....maybe I'll write it, I spent a few years in the DRC in the early 90s.

Also looking out for Parazoology 2 and the long awaited Euro wars antiques sourcebook.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-25-13/2111:41> »
Quicksilver

Not the build I'd have made, but everyone would've hated the build I wanted to do.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-25-13/2133:06> »
Looking forward to this (and the new Missions scenario)...on Logan for purchase tomorrow. ;D

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #3 on: <02-27-13/1421:44> »
Very nice sourcebook, liked the small hints on the goings on in Africa esp. in the Congo Tribal Lands....

Yeah, the Congo Tribal lands deserve their own PDF sourcebook....maybe I'll write it, I spent a few years in the DRC in the early 90s.

Also looking out for Parazoology 2 and the long awaited Euro wars antiques sourcebook.

Thanks! I tried to mix things up and not be quite so North and South America-centric. There are other battlefields after all and Africa seemed like a great place to visit, even if only briefly.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-27-13/1645:47> »
The problem is, the map of Sixth World Almanac call "Congo Tribal lands" an area that stretches from Niger and Chad to Mozambique. It doesn't appear to match anything, be it Congo as a country, the Congo river basin, the Kongo empire or the Kikongo language. The distribution area of the Niger-Congo linguistic group is much larger, but it doesn't fit: it goes all the way west to Senegal, while Niger and Chad ancient languages are in the Nilo-Saharan group.

Labeling it as the "Saharan-Congo Tribal Lands" might be more appropriate, since the area would include tribes from both the Niger-Congo and Nilo-Saharan linguistic groups, while not including the Niger and the Nile rivers proper. On the other hand, 6WA map shows a much greener Africa, where the Saharan desert somehow ends around 25°N. So the Saharan adjective may be considered misleading, and "Sahel-Congo Tribal Lands" be a better idea.

That is, unless the tribes from Congo proper managed somehow to pull out one of the largest military conquest in history during the 21st century.

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <02-27-13/2343:44> »
Actually the Congo Tribal Lands is one huge DMZ, its only a label to an area that is virtually a feral land probably made up of either wilderness or small warlord states. The Congo lands makes Nigeria look orderly by comparison.

So far the hints are:

Kinshasa-Brazerville is the largest sprawl int he Congo Tribal lands and its unofficial capital.

The Tribes are uniting or forming some sort of conferderation.

NOt all are primitive tribal, there are pockets of warlords using modern tech. I would not be surprised if the Megas got boots on the ground in the Congo. The usual suspects are:

Aztechnology: Already according to Feral cities very interested in the place.

Mitsuhama; of course Congo is rich in minerals, talismonger material etc. Mitsuhama is king in the mineral talismongering exploitation business.

Universal Omnitech: Well as the largest African Mega, these guys will probably be interested in the Congo too. Lots of mineral wealth.

Manadyne: Well lots of talismongering  in the area.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-28-13/0213:36> »
*sigh*

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #7 on: <02-28-13/0318:15> »
*sigh*

I know, not the africa you would like to see in the SR universe.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-28-13/0643:38> »
@Crimsondude: Out of curiosity, assuming Black is correct, what *is* the Africa you'd like to see?

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-02-13/0436:40> »
Well, breaking away from "Darkest Africa", where everything's a steamy jungle filled with great cats and primative peoples is probably a start.

As for the major AAA players in Africa, you missed one. :)

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #10 on: <03-02-13/0506:34> »
Or eight.

It's been SR canon since before 4e that sub-Saharan Africa is practically open territory for any (and all!!) AA or bigger corporation to kick around in.  Cyberpirates!! had the most information offhand, though I seem to recall a run or two which involved all but outright slavery - and sometimes outright slavery - of scientists and more.

Suffice it to say that all of the Big 10 are doing things in Africa, and for the most part they're all engaged in more-or-less Bad Stuff.  Why?  Because they can get away with it; who's going to bitch, and who're they going to bitch to?
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #11 on: <03-02-13/0751:34> »
All I'm saying is that the best parts of Lagos make the worst parts of Redmond look pleasant, and the nicest places to be south of the Sahara are Azania and Asamando.

Of course, look at Africa today, and it isn't much better. Africa in Shadowrun pretty well mirrors what I think would happen if plagues swept through wiping out governments left and right, the UN wasn't around to do anything, and the rain forest decided it wanted to go all over the place. Africa has always been a hellhole with a few islands of places that are less likely to kill you.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <03-02-13/1333:46> »
@Crimsondude: Out of curiosity, assuming Black is correct, what *is* the Africa you'd like to see?
Can't say.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <03-03-13/1738:21> »
Fair enough...never hurts to ask :)

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #14 on: <03-03-13/1837:08> »
Its hard to predict the future for Africa.  Not every nation is torn by civil unrest and/or crims and poverty varies by nation to nation.

Shadowrun tends towards distopia, so if Africa is potrayed an universially screwed, then at least its predicable to its Western audience.

But in real life, you have the African Union replacing western peacekeeping intervention with local forces. And with both its natural resources and potential telsiman, an African megacorp is not unfeasible, say a magic orientated mining company or similar?  Heck, think Shadowrun Wakanda...

But given Shadowrun's current history, with VITAS and Corporate Imperisalism etc, a Africa torn by warfare backed by megacorps (aka Blood Diamonds...) makes as much sense.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P