NEWS

Sixth World Companion alternate rules rampant speculation thread

• 26 Replies

MercilessMing

• Omae
« on: <01-18-22/1702:04> »
Alright we know the companion will have 'rules options', so what rules do you think we're likely to see out of this book?  I'm thinking, they better come up with something for Armor cause it's #1 on the annoyances list for a lot of people coming from 5th ed.  Hopefully we see alternate rules from Banshee's matrix FAQ show up as well.

What do you think Catalyst will include here?

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-18-22/2018:05> »
Oh, I can't wait to see where this goes ... and to talk about it once I get out of NDA territory.

Now CGL just needs to get this released.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-19-22/0230:39> »
Honestly for the armor rules I hope they don’t go to adding them to soak as we currently have a few ways to this already and changing it back to a 5th Ed style would probably create a lot more problems than what it is worth.

But I wouldn’t mind a middle ground. Some like if the modified DV does not exceed your armor the damage is always stun. Only when physical damage exceeds armor could it remain physical. Though I still would want this to be only be an optional rule.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-19-22/1002:02> »
Alright we know the companion will have 'rules options', so what rules do you think we're likely to see out of this book?  I'm thinking, they better come up with something for Armor cause it's #1 on the annoyances list for a lot of people coming from 5th ed.  Hopefully we see alternate rules from Banshee's matrix FAQ show up as well.

What do you think Catalyst will include here?

All in all, I´m moderately optimistic, BUT I´m almost 100% sure that there will be zilch, nada, zero about either Edge, Edge Limits, Armor (or AR/DR) in general. Everything is Ok, and everbody who complains is wrong and just doesn´t get the simplicity of a system where all the fancy numbers don´t matter half of the time. That´s the party line. Never back down from bad design choices, double down instead.

However: I´d be a bit surprised if there´s no Karmagen. Not completely surprised (since not adding it basically means doubling down on the shitty priority system), but still. I certainly hope there will be, although I already houseruled one for myself. A return of Lifepath Generation? Hmm, maybe. I actually hope not. It was a fun concept in 5th Edition, but it warrants more and more maintance and space in following sourcebooks.

Other than than, the expected stuff: Furry shit Changelings, Metavariants, Sapient Critters, Shapeshifters, maybe Drakes. Shitton of new Qualities (which would be very welcomed, because the current selection is indeed quite measly). No AIs, but they will maybe appear in the Hacker Supplement.

If I had a bold wish: Maybe a bit more fun for the augmented, since the augmentation Supplement is far ahead. Especially "Cyborgs" could use a bit of love.
« Last Edit: <01-19-22/1015:16> by Finstersang »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <01-19-22/1104:43> »
The only thing they need to add is 'DR>damage, then stun', imo. The rest the new soak system is way better for players and GMs, and Firing Squad already gives some options to really help with soak if you're desperate.

I'm looking forward to hopefully an easier lifemodule system. And advanced lifestyles!
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-19-22/1140:28> »
Oh, I can't wait to see where this goes ... and to talk about it once I get out of NDA territory.

That sounds to me like your matrix rules won't be appearing  :P

I'm expecting there to be a ton of character creation options, but would the player companion actually have things like adept powers, spells, and augments? 
I'm def expecting karmagen, lifepath, beaucoup qualities, maybe edge actions related to qualities, as well as all the panalopy of critter types to play (which I will probably skip right over, I barely ever go outside the classic 5).  I would rather see AI's here than in the hacker book - if it's a character type, it should be in the book about character types, damnit.  Maybe we'll see a new character type, but 6th ed already has returned soldiers.  Street Wyrd alluded to insect merges with metahuman consciousness at the wheel, but they're more likely to show up as baddies than PC options IMO.  This edition's Monads.

However, none of these are 'rule options', but 'character options'.  Maybe Working for the Man/Working for the People will finally appear in a sourcebook?  Essence holes?  Essence recovery?  A Blades in the Dark style Flashback system powered by edge?

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-19-22/1215:26> »
The only thing they need to add is 'DR>damage, then stun', imo. The rest the new soak system is way better for players and GMs, and Firing Squad already gives some options to really help with soak if you're desperate.

That seems like a good idea at first glance, but it would bring back a weird problem from 4th and 5th Edition (that was admittingly rarely talked about): Stun Damage Tracks tend to be smaller than Physical Damage tracks, especially for Combat oriented characters, and since there´s also an ample amount of Stun-only attacks, there´s high chance that your Armor works against you by turning all damage into the Stun Damage and knocking you out earlier. And sure, you don´t die right away in that case, but in many situations, falling unconscious is just as deadly than going into overflow. I used to call it the Sleepy Troll problem back in 5th Edition :P It was somewhat offset by the fact that Armor also added soak dice, but since that´s also gone in 6th Edition...

I really like the idea of adding more effects and "pivot points" in AR/DR, though. The damage conversion thing might work if the damage is split between Stun and Physical damage instead. That would actually help more than a total conversion when it comes to staying up and running in a fight. But I digress...

Huh, almost forgot about the returned soldiers! NGL, that is a new original idea that I´d actually like to see more about. The "rules" in Slip Streams were too bare-bones for a workable character concept. Another crazy idea I´d really love to see: "Defrosted" people from cryogenic sleep experiments. Would be an interesting way to introduce "out of time" characters besides the returned soldiers. Transmetropolitan, anyone?  ;D
« Last Edit: <01-19-22/1234:12> by Finstersang »

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-19-22/1306:52> »

That sounds to me like your matrix rules won't be appearing  :P

Well a pretty bug chunk of them made it into the Seattle errata edition, you might see a few in the Companion but there is also a Matrix book forthcoming.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #9 on: <01-20-22/1441:04> »
Where was this announced?  (I'd like to see the announcement myself, before I speculate).

It would be nice if they'd also announce such things, or at least link to them, from these forums.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #10 on: <01-20-22/1832:27> »
Where was this announced?  (I'd like to see the announcement myself, before I speculate).

It would be nice if they'd also announce such things, or at least link to them, from these forums.
I try to link as much as possible. In this case it was only a shot of the cover with no information on the book, nor when it will be released. If I get that information, I'll make sure to in include it in the news.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <01-20-22/2027:36> »
their facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/shadowruntabletopgame

Catalyst's Shadowrun marketing consists mainly of offhand Facebook comments.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <01-21-22/2023:23> »
their facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/shadowruntabletopgame

Catalyst's Shadowrun marketing consists mainly of offhand Facebook comments.

Case in point: There´s a Drake supplement now. Anyone noticed?  ::)

https://www.shadowrunsixthworld.com/2022/01/new-pdfs-to-brighten-your-january/?fbclidfIwAR28Hek_whs9JT-zwb0whmrF-ScQ224x20XYqjxshtI030Ly03oFdsfwa4E

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <01-24-22/0420:30> »
Just got it, looks interesting!
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <01-24-22/1033:09> »
It is for sure! The resulting characters can be horribly broken, but that´s admittingly more due to the fact that certain critter powers in the core rules are horribly broken ::)

Other than that, the writter of the supplement did a really good job, IMO. With houseruled versions of the Critter powers in question, you can build very interesting characters (and NPC!) without breaking the game. The base mechanics (Attribute Adjustments, unlocking further Powers through an Initiation-style process) could be the blueprint for Shapeshifter and/or Infected rules.
« Last Edit: <01-24-22/1037:04> by Finstersang »