NEWS

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Thomas Roxborough and cloning
« Last post by FastJack on <04-03-24/2306:55> »
Yes, the reveal was official. We're just missing the set-up to the reveal.
Shadowrun: Anarchy / Re: Armor in Anarchy
« Last post by Lipe82 on <04-03-24/2257:15> »
Sorry to necropost, but I have been preparing a game recently and this post came to mind.

On top of all the cool suggestions in this thread, I did think about...
Some alternative armor ideas.

IDEA: Armor reduces DAMAGE CODE.
LOGIC: Armor protects against the gun, leaving the bulk of damage to the attacker's talent.
It's basically an auto-soak, but net successes would dictate how strong the attack was instead of gunpower alone.
Initially I thought Light 2, Medium 3, Heavy 4; so an Ares Predator (6P) would deal 4P, 3P or 2P respectively (plus net successes as usual), applied straight into the CM.
ARMOR DAMAGE: upon P hit, target rolls a glitch die; glitch means the armor became one grade lower, until broken/fubar; ignore Armor hitboxes completely.

Less bookkeeping, no extra rolls, combat favors attack over defence. May need to adjust armor values.
All feedback is most welcome.
« Last post by mik212 on <04-03-24/2209:30> »
Thanks for the infodump. It has been very helpful. So is he still considered out of the box as far as the metaplot is concerned going forward? Even without the official reveal?
« Last post by FastJack on <04-03-24/2143:46> »
Body Shop
« Last post by Wakshaani on <04-03-24/2023:09> »
Thanks Wakshaani!

Where is the first part of his background covered?  As I said, I'm happy to go pick up PDFs of old books, and sometimes there is no better way to get a feel for someone than to read the early material about them.

(I'm interested because he sounds like a someone that would both utterly fascinate and utterly revolt one particular character in my game, so I'd like to have him influence some events and eventually cross paths, but I want to get a good feel for him first).

Went to check the Wiki to make my life easier. :D (He was diagnosed with his disease in 2049 and given one year to live, but soon after went into the tank where he's been until his return, which should have been the latest Cybernetic book whose name escapes me right as I need it. Ack.

As for earlier stuff?

Augmentation, 59
Aztlan, 62-64
Corporate Download, 44
Man & Machine: Cyberware, 54, 88
Runner Havens, 122
System Failure, 102, 104
State of the Art: 2064, 153
Target: Matrix, 107, 108
« Last post by FastJack on <04-03-24/2000:59> »
The earliest mentions were in Aztlan, Corporate Download, SOTA: 2064, and Runner Havens.
« Last post by Beta on <04-03-24/1348:25> »
Thanks Wakshaani!

Where is the first part of his background covered?  As I said, I'm happy to go pick up PDFs of old books, and sometimes there is no better way to get a feel for someone than to read the early material about them.

(I'm interested because he sounds like a someone that would both utterly fascinate and utterly revolt one particular character in my game, so I'd like to have him influence some events and eventually cross paths, but I want to get a good feel for him first).
« Last post by Wakshaani on <04-03-24/0219:47> »
Is there a singular source that explains more about why we care about Roxborough?  I played back in 1e then picked up the game again a while into 5e, so I missed out on whatever documented him as being notable originally.  (I've read about his weird survival and existence, and that he was a notable shareholder in Aztechnology and Universal Omnitech.  But it sounds like that he is 'on the loose' again is a big deal, and I'd like to read up on why he is considered to be of such note).

Arguably he greatest hacker in the world, Roxy used to be a high-end corporate raider who got into a tussle with an asset of Dunklezahn back in the day over buying something, got furious when he wasn't able to acquire it, and lashed out in revenge. Depending on who you believe, he unleashed the Crash Virus itself, which brought the world to its knees. (It very quickly went way, WAY out of his control, but no one alive knows that he is connected to it and can back that claim up.) ... that virus, of course, killed Alice Heffner, and the eGhost, Alice, is based off of her brain. (If it was her actual ghost, haunting teh Matrix, a shard of teh Crash virus that became sentient and based itself off of her, or something else entirely has neer been revealed.) ... unfortunately for Roxy, he also developed a unique, and rathe rhorrible, genetic condition which resulted first in him being bed riden, then worse, before finally being moved into a giant vat where his body just ... unravelled. His mind managed to survive, even as his body turned into a bunch of fillament and jelly, and he manage dto get a datajack implanted into his, let's say mass? which gave him access to teh Matrix as it was created. He's been on teh Matrix for 24 hours a day (even when asleep, he's jacked in) since Day 0 of the Matrix existing, and due to this, and the money he's pumped into his tech, he's arguably the greatest Decker in teh world.

He's also ruthless and immoral, and has been hungry for both a cure, and revenge, ever since his "Boxing". He's nearly gotten out several times, but Alicehad always been lurking in the background, undercutting his escape attempts. His most infamous was in trying to be implanted into Ryan Mercury's body (Part of teh DragonHeart trilogy, which gives you most of his backstory), but Alice was able to stop that and is quite happy to see him tortured and suffer.

When Alice died (or "died" depening on your reading, more on that in 10 AIs), Roxy no longer had an active agent as skilled at teh Matrix as him working to block his every move, but was also cut off for the Matrix for the first time when teh Second Crash happened. Once he got back online, he was free to start solving his big problems.

He also needed to make money.

Roxy's infamously ephermeal with alliances, and while he had worked with Aztechnology in the past, their relationship had soured. He briefly got a controlling stake in teh Bank of Japan (which underwrites all teh the Japanacorps and should be utterly untouchable), but that quietly went away not long after he got it... it's assumed that some kind of deal was made, but no one knows what.

So he's been quietly lurking in his box, a corporate raider whose humanity has long since vanished, teh world's greatest hacker and a high level corporate raider who ignores all teh rules, Doing Things for a while. Him showing up in teh flesh out of nowhere has shaken a LOT of people (not the least of which is KAM, his ex-wife, and teh Smiling Bandit, who's currently hooked up with KAM), and there's wild speculation and just how that's possible.

(And it SHOULD have had a ton of fans speculating as well, but.)
« Last post by Wakshaani on <04-03-24/0157:03> »
Well hopefully they find a way to work your story into a future book. Or figure some other way to fit the event into the future narrative. I mean at this point we can all just sort of assume Dis did it since we have established they are really good a bioengineering and making deals with bad people. Which is to bad since it seems like you were going for some sort of mystery about his return? Would have worked better if it had been a few books ago before we got the low down.

Yeah, him being back was portrayed as a Big Deal, leaving open the questions of how it was done and what he'd do from there. With that Big Reveal, it would have started people speculating and waiting for the next part, getting people involved in teh story.

With that first part missing, now it's just ... oof.
« Last post by Michael Chandra on <04-03-24/0127:36> »
Sounds like the kind of guy where turning him into a Cyberzombie, trapped inside a mostly-mechanical body being controlled by someone else, is the best way to go.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10