NEWS

[5e OOC] Sunt Venatores Venationem

• 1158 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #705 on: <06-02-15/1138:22> »
I'm not sure that I tracked the last IC post very well. So, some clarifying questions:

1) Did the pistol shots miss Achak during the last pass?
2) What exactly happened to the floating pistols? They "drop from view", but does that mean that they were holstered or that the man in the chameleon suit dove out of sight, or the pistols were literally dropped? I don't have a good mental image.
3) Is Tiny firing at Achak? I know he's getting close to the end of his drum and it sounds like he hit it. Was it suppressive fire? Do I need to dodge or roll for that?
4) What are my valid targets? I don't know if TIny cleared the firing lanes by blasting away the pews and I don't know if the floating pistols are still a target.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #706 on: <06-02-15/1155:49> »
I'm not sure that I tracked the last IC post very well. So, some clarifying questions:

1) Did the pistol shots miss Achak during the last pass?
2) What exactly happened to the floating pistols? They "drop from view", but does that mean that they were holstered or that the man in the chameleon suit dove out of sight, or the pistols were literally dropped? I don't have a good mental image.
3) Is Tiny firing at Achak? I know he's getting close to the end of his drum and it sounds like he hit it. Was it suppressive fire? Do I need to dodge or roll for that?
4) What are my valid targets? I don't know if TIny cleared the firing lanes by blasting away the pews and I don't know if the floating pistols are still a target.

1. A shot never got off in Achak's direction.
2. It looks like they fell?  Maybe they were dropped, but Achak had a pretty good grasp on where he was, and he no longer sees the tell-tale light-bending chameleon suit thing.
3. Tiny was firing at Achak.  He let off another 6 round burst, depleting his drum.  He was firing through barriers -- the rows of pews -- attempting to strike Achak square in the chest Unaware, but he ran out of ammo before he could punch through all the rows of pews.  This is a case where the GM thought Tiny stood a chance of punching through all the barriers with his 13P (staged up with exploding 6s) -1AP, but the dice -- and the rules -- didn't stack up that way.
4. Roll me a passive Perception Test, visual.  I'll happily explain what happened and how the dice gods abandoned me when it makes IC sense to do so, but it's probably right that Achak is confused here, as well as the player Tecumseh.

In other news, other catching up stuff.

I'm not sure if I should apply the "Defender has defended against previous attack" negative modifier for Multiple Attacks that occur in the same action phase. I'm also not sure if he's firing single shots or semi-auto bursts. I'll give two straight Dodge rolls and we can subtract dice as necessary, if any.

Reaction 7 + Intuition 6 + Combat Sense 1 + Jazz 1 - 1 Wounds: 2#14d6t5 5 hits 4 hits

My understanding is that you would take away a die for the second Defense Test.  It's one of the main advantages to rolling 2 attacks, especially with smaller dice pools.

I don't remember much of the homily because I kept thinking about action sequences and environmental tactics, given our current encounter. Thanks Shadowrun!

You or your family Catholic?
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #707 on: <06-02-15/1246:35> »
4. Roll me a passive Perception Test, visual.  I'll happily explain what happened and how the dice gods abandoned me when it makes IC sense to do so, but it's probably right that Achak is confused here, as well as the player Tecumseh.

Roger that.

Visual Perception: Intuition 6 + Perception 6 + Visual Enhancement 3 - 1 Wounds: 14d6t5 7 hits, limit 8

You or your family Catholic?

We are Lutheran but we were in a Catholic cathedral on Saturday. Our church's choir performs there once a year so we were in attendance for that. But, yes, very perceptive to pick up on the word homily.

I'm still uncertain if Achak has LOS on Tiny. Here are my actions, with some provisional targeting conditions.

1) Simple: Shoot
2) Free: Drop Alpha (on sling)
3) Simple: Ready Weapon (gunstock warclub)
4) Move: Move a toward the fire spirit so that I can get within running/charging range for CT3 IP1

If I can see Tiny, or if there is just one pew left I can shoot through, then I will do that. If I can't see Tiny and think there are too many pews to shoot through then I'll fire at the fire spirit instead. It isn't a called shot (because I need the free action to drop the Alpha) so it may hit Sister Rebecca, so the preference is to shoot at Tiny if I don't have to take Blind Fire modifiers.

Agility 5 + Automatics 6 + Spec 2 + Smartlink 1 - 1 Wound - 1 Sharpshooter: 12d6t5 5 hits

Let me know if that's enough or if I need to declare a firmer target.

Edit: Base DV is 11P -6AP.
Second edit: Firing a short burst, so -2 to dodge. 33 rounds remaining.
« Last Edit: <06-02-15/1250:08> by Tecumseh »

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #708 on: <06-02-15/1342:54> »
Tiny is still prone, though he is a troll.  He tore through most of the pews, but there's still one standing between the one nearest Achak -- which is pretty well demolished -- it now only offers a +2 cover bonus -- and the three closest to him, which have holes punched through them, but they're not that big.  That said, Tiny is prone and was holding his shotgun up, so with Achak standing probably the best he could do is Called Shot: Blast out of Hands.  Or, he could move to where the pews would no longer be restricting his LoS, and fire at the troll's legs and lower torso -- a regular shot would suffice here.  If you're moving toward the fire spirit, you could pull off that shot this IP.

If  you're wanting to shoot through the pew, you could try what Tiny did, which is Blind Fire -6, but you'd catch him unaware.  You would only need to punch through 1 pew though, so your chance of success is much higher, I would think.  Also, I went with Structure Rating 5, Armor 8, if that affects your decision at all.

As for the Perception Test, nice roll.  Achak was able to discern a fine mist of blood spraying on the wall from about where the disembodied guns fell after the muffled pop.

I have a feeling that I might not be completely clear here, so let me know any questions you still have, and if none, what you'd like to apply that roll toward, if anything. 

As for the Catholic thing, I used to teach in a Catholic school, so I'm pretty familiar with homilies. 
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #709 on: <06-02-15/1454:58> »
Achak needs to move toward the fire spirit anyway so I think moving to get an angle on Tiny would be ideal.

Initiative for CT3: 5d6+13 25, pretty poor roll for 5 dice (6th percentile) but hopefully enough to act first. I think I have a 92% chance of acting before the fire spirit.

I'm going to pencil out some math just so I'm not missing anything.
- Achak's starting distance to the fire spirit: 12 meters
- Achak's running rate: Agility 5 * 4 = 20 meters per CT
- Running movement, given 3 APs: ~7 meters

The gunstock warclub has a Reach of 1, so I need to move 4 meters during this CT. This exceeds my walking rate (~ 3 meters per turn), which complicates things. Technically I need to be running to move far enough to get within range for a charging attack next AP, but:
1) I don't have a Free Action to spare for running (unless rednblack allows both running and dropping an object as simultaneous free actions), and,
2) running would add a -2 negative modifier to my last shot.

That said, up until this point I've been forgetting about option rule RG2. I don't know if Tiny's Body+Strength is 16 or higher but, if so, that would be a +2 modifier, which would offset the running penalty.

If I can both run and drop the Alpha this turn, then I'll do the above, which is basically my previously posted actions with running.

If I can't both run and drop the Alpha this turn, then:
- Move: Walk to get angle on Tiny
- Free: Called shot on Tiny (-4 called shot, +3 Sharpshooter to compensate for the -1 from my un-called shot), so -1 total
- Simple: Shoot Tiny
- Simple: not sure... maybe Observe in Detail to watch Tiny's face explode

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #710 on: <06-02-15/1554:27> »
I'm going to pencil out some math just so I'm not missing anything.
- Achak's starting distance to the fire spirit: 12 meters
- Achak's running rate: Agility 5 * 4 = 20 meters per CT
- Running movement, given 3 APs: ~7 meters

I've been figuring movement based on 2 APs.  We'll call the last AP of action as a bonus, basically, so 10 meters a turn.

The gunstock warclub has a Reach of 1, so I need to move 4 meters during this CT. This exceeds my walking rate (~ 3 meters per turn), which complicates things. Technically I need to be running to move far enough to get within range for a charging attack next AP, but:
1) I don't have a Free Action to spare for running (unless rednblack allows both running and dropping an object as simultaneous free actions), and,
2) running would add a -2 negative modifier to my last shot.

That said, up until this point I've been forgetting about option rule RG2. I don't know if Tiny's Body+Strength is 16 or higher but, if so, that would be a +2 modifier, which would offset the running penalty.

I'll allow doubling up on Free Actions to Drop Weapon and Run.  Tiny's BOD+STR is indeed over 16, so you the +2 to offset running -- and from now on since we're aware of it.

If I can both run and drop the Alpha this turn, then I'll do the above, which is basically my previously posted actions with running.

Hit!  Achak sees his rounds find purchase in the troll's lower torso, and his legs go limp.

CT 3 AP 1
A 9 (Seize the Initiative)
Achak 25
R 21
S 19

Need initiative for Mercer and the drones.

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #711 on: <06-02-15/1616:40> »
Mercer: Initiative: 3d6+9 18
I just can't crack that third IP...
Drones (including Roadmaster if it's relevant): Drone Initiative: 4d6+6 20

Also: Oooh! Mage! Mercer might even delay activating the Jammer in order to go after her. Wigglies get geeked - I ain't got no mage cuffs.

EDIT: Whoops! Jammer's already activated from CT2 IP3. What I meant was that I might skip taking cover to get a called shot off.
« Last Edit: <06-02-15/1624:40> by Malevolence »
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #712 on: <06-02-15/1617:51> »
dum dee dee dee dum dee dum...
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #713 on: <06-02-15/1652:36> »
CT 3 AP 1
A 9 (Seize the Initiative)
Achak 25
R 21
Drones 20
S 19
Mercer 18
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #714 on: <06-02-15/1740:11> »
I presume we're waiting on A 9. If I'm still standing after that, I'll try to bust Rebecca out like a piņata.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #715 on: <06-02-15/1749:10> »
I presume we're waiting on A 9. If I'm still standing after that, I'll try to bust Rebecca out like a piņata.

At this point, it isn't really a good use of your time. She's OUT for the fight, and possibly a good deal longer. The spirit may or may not continue to consume her, but it might just drop her and go for Achak.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #716 on: <06-02-15/1759:00> »
From a crunch and RP standpoint, the disadvantage to his mentor spirit (Dog, "You can never leave someone behind") practically demands that he intervene.

From an RP standpoint, Sister Rebecca is the replacement for a teammate that was killed following Achak's orders (leading to Achak's Loss of Confidence for his Leadership skill). He's already lost Stake today, which is bad enough. He would rather die than lose another teammate, especially on his watch, in front of his face.

From a practical standpoint, Achak is out of other targets to deal with. He's also less-than-thrilled with the notion of the spirit spitting out Rebecca and turning on him next, especially if he's actively engaged and distracted elsewhere. No sense in leaving your flank unprotected.

So, in short, this is a super-easy decision for Achak. I was actively debating whether he would have done this sooner, but his prejudice against trolls (and the immediate threat of Tiny's full-auto shotgun) counterbalanced the competing claim for his attention.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #717 on: <06-02-15/1810:51> »
@Mal, you can make a roll to see through the invisibility spell. I'm AFB at the moment so you'll have to look that up.

@Tec, technically I've got the fire spirit beginning its action out of initiative order, but I wanted the magic user's order to be clear should that affect Achak's IC plans. All this stuff is supposed to practically be happening at the same time anyway.

@Poindexter, sorry to keep you out of the game for so long. GM management tip for me: engulf may not be the best spirit power to use against PCs. The damage isn't any better than an Elemental Attack, but robbing a player of shit to do isn't all that much fun.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #718 on: <06-02-15/1853:34> »
Honestly, Achak is high on drugs and probably in the middle of a "I LIVE, I DIE, I LIVE AGAIN" moment of clarity (if anyone else saw Mad Max). He would likely conclude that the spirit is finished digesting Sister Rebecca and is coming for him next.

Achak has good hearing and the Jazz would probably make him hyper-attuned to what the woman says, but he's already started his charge. I'm doubting that he would hit the brakes to skid to a stop, especially since he's still outnumbered by the mage+spirit. Beatings will commence.

Agility 5 + Clubs 6 + Spec 2 + Focus 3 + Charging 2 - 1 Wounds: 17d6t5 3 hits, pathetic. More 5th percentile rolling.

I imagine the spirit will sidestep that easily, but, in case it rolls as poorly as I do, the base damage is 9P, -2 AP, Reach 1.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #719 on: <06-02-15/1920:59> »
I updated my dice rolling tally. If we ignore initiative and other non-test rolls, I have 257 hits on 835 dice. 30.8% doesn't sound too far off the average, but it actually works out to 5th percentile because of the large sample size. I'm still 21 hits below the mean.

Sneaking and clubs are my worst.

Sneaking: 12 hits on 62 dice = 19%, which is 1st percentile
Clubs: 30 hits on 118 dice = 25%, which is 3rd percentile
Dodge: 35 hits on 121 dice = 29%, which is 13th percentile

So, despite my efforts to make a sneaky, dodgy melee adept, the dice tell me I should be a shooty (34%), tanky (33%), Perception adept (32%).