NEWS

[5e OOC] Sunt Venatores Venationem

• 1158 Replies

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #585 on: <05-12-15/1408:26> »
Edge Test: 3d6t5 1

I'm assuming that an Edge test is just rolling with a dice pool equal to your Edge stat. I've seen them mentioned, but I've never had to do one.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #586 on: <05-12-15/1427:38> »
There are several references to Achak's backstory in the most recent post.

Rusty, a contact, is a troll gang leader. He and Achak used to be tight (like Connection 5) but then got competitive about Lola, who is another contact. Rusty, being an augmented troll with a better reach, got the best of Achak, which bruised Achak's ego (and face). I still have them at Connection 3 but there's some simmering resentment there. This is also the source of Achak's prejudice against trolls. In terms of Negative Qualities it's probably 50% Prejudice and 50% Phobia, but I had to pick one so I went with Prejudice. Plus, Phobia is from Run Faster, which rednblack didn't have when we were going through chargen.

Speaking of Negative Qualities, Holy Trinity is Achak's "dependent", representing the time he spends supporting the church and the tithing he does. He doesn't intend to stay long, just long enough to change clothes so that he's not walking around looking like an ATM in the Barrens.

This is also his "Gangland Hideout  (Seattle, Squatter, Extra Secure)" lifestyle. I figure that it's a gang-run safehouse/bolthole and that most of the lifestyle cost (¥600/month) goes to the gang for protection dues.

I'll deduct ¥100 for the cab ride.

Achak's plan
1) Change out of suit and into full body armor, because Barrens.
2) Walk to the safehouse.
3) Formulate a plan with Sister Rebecca.

Achak will activate his qi foci for Sustenance and Cloak.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #587 on: <05-13-15/1326:13> »
@Mal, that's exactly right.  Low threshold, so Mercer will not be stopped as he tools around.  At least right now  ;)

@Achak, thanks for the background info.  Having it right there made my life a lot easier than tracking down all the back story.

@All, I fear that I'm getting into deus ex machina territory here, which I'm very hesitant to do, but 1. I want to get the team together before any trips to he CAS, and 2. I don't want to burn Achak's safehouse, especially considering how smart Tec and Poindexter have played this.  So, what I'm asking is, do I have buy-in from y'all to get everyone on the scene together in the next few IC posts? 
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #588 on: <05-13-15/1358:10> »
It sounded like we were on a bit of a collision course already. I figured you were having Llewellyn ask for help to slow us down a bit and keep us out of the safehouse to help expedite the encounter.

OOCly, I have no reservations about burning the safehouse. The events in progress sound like a life-changing story arc. If Stake's home/apartment is burned then Achak certainly couldn't complain about a squatter safehouse.

The bigger complication might be the gang protection, either interfering with the pursuers (who might be needed for plot or interrogation or whatever) or confusing Mercer for a hostile.

I've already been glossing over things a bit. Achak's mentor spirit disadvantage would probably have him more interested in Stake's fate than he's been expressing. I've been sidestepping it since Stake's disappearance is more OOC than IC. You're in the same situation as GM, so I think some bending and prodding is not unexpected.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #589 on: <05-13-15/1602:36> »
It works for me. Considering the build up so far, it isn't too much of a convolution aside from the delay at the Church and the plan B of visiting the gang hangout keeping them in city long enough for Mercer to arrive on scene.

At this point I'm assuming that Mercer does not know how the vampires are turning the tables (the stealth-tracker-in-the-big-score trick) or he would have reached out to Duncan looking for big ticket items that recently turned up. With the information that the other hunters are religious Mercer will likely do an eye roll ("crazies get you kilt"), but beggars can't be choosers. He's been self sufficient for 6 months because he didn't know who to trust, but before he can follow this lead to the top, he's going to have to recruit. Also, the reveal that Tiny believes he's hunting Shadowrunners rather than Hunters further enforces Mercer's belief that he's hired muscle that is completely out of the Infected loop. Which actually means that Peg might have her Pookie back after all - Mercer will go in non-lethal mostly in hopes of capturing him for intel, but once he's got what he can form him, will likely turn him loose alive. His exact condition will depend on how much shock and/or repulsion he shows after being informed of the true nature of his suspected employers.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #590 on: <05-13-15/1906:35> »
Long writeup in IC. Had the time and the creative juices, so I went with it. Mercer is mostly going to be a lot less introspective and generally less eloquent, in contrast to Ohanzee, but this alludes to some of his past and his general outlook on things, and sets up his relationship with the other team members regarding their religious beliefs, etc. I also worked through most of my euphemisms for vampire, so I'll have to be more sparing going forward.

In addition to the guns and credstick, he'll be packing spare clips (one each) of APDS and gel for the AR (it's loaded with APDS, which I think I forgot to mention), and APDS, gel, and tracker for the machine pistols. He'll also be packing two thermal smoke grenades, 2 gas grenades (pepper punch), and two sawdust grenades (just in case). He'll also have his sensor tags on him in case he needs more eyes to watch his back. There's a reason he wears a big coat. He'll usually deploy with the shotgun at low ready (or high ready if expecting to engage) and the AR slung. The shotgun provides better close in effectiveness for room clearing and more flexibility for switching between target types. He'll switch to the AR for longer range engagements or once he is actively engaged with a target since it is more expensive (time wise) to swap ammo. The pistols are usually for backup to give him more ammo options at a moments notice (quick draw rules!) - Joey should probably be loaded with tracker rounds instead of APDS which is adequately covered by the AR, but I liked the rough and tumble reference to his lost son, so I went with APDS.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #591 on: <05-13-15/1924:45> »
The shotgun, Kachina, named after his wife...

There's something very familiar about this.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #592 on: <05-13-15/1930:55> »
Hate that I'm saying this so often lately, but sorry for the delay. I'll get something up soon.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #593 on: <05-13-15/1942:16> »
The shotgun, Kachina, named after his wife...

There's something very familiar about this.

Not intentional - got it from http://www.20000-names.com/female_native_american_names.htm where it was either that (spirit) or Hehewuti (Warrior Mother Spirit) or Yoki (rain). I was REALLY fond of Hehewuti's meaning but I didn't like the sound of the name. Yoki seemed fitting for a shotgun, but I actually missed it the first time through. The more I think about it, I like Yuki because it has meaning on more than two levels - rain for the rain of lead from the shotgun, buit also rain of tears from the tragedy. I hope no one minds, but I'm going to edit my post to change to that.

ETA: The AR will  probably take the name "Stake" after the departed character. I might throw some backstory in there to build some history between Mercer and Stake so that it works.
« Last Edit: <05-13-15/1945:58> by Malevolence »

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #594 on: <05-13-15/2243:59> »
I'll take a visual and auditory Perception Test from everyone. Ma

@Tecumseh and Poindexter, What clothes and gear are Achak and Rebecca going to be in to huff it to the safehouse?

And tomorrow we'll start the siege of Holy Trinity.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #595 on: <05-14-15/0135:17> »
Visual Perception: Intuition 6 + Perception 6 + Visual Enhancement 3: 15d6t5 3 hits
Audio Perception: Intuition 6 + Perception 6 + Spec 2 + Audio Enhancement 3: 17d6t5 6 hits, plus high-frequency hearing
Magic Sense: Magic 6 + Perception 6: 12d6t5 4 hits (works like Detect Magic spell, out to 60 meters)

Skipping Motion Sense and Scent Perception.

Achak was intending to wear his full body armor + helmet to the safehouse, stopping at the gang's clubhouse (a warehouse) to pay his respects along the way. If drek hits the fan before he can change, then he'll work with what he's got on. It's a Synergist business suit, but if it gets shot up then he was intending to upgrade to a Zoé Executive Suite anyway. (For the life of me I can't figure out why I didn't spend an extra ¥500 for the upgrade at chargen, seeing as it's worth +3 armor, but money was tight at the time and I was counting pennies. I must have really liked the concealable holster in the Synergist.)

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #596 on: <05-14-15/0955:03> »
@Tec, didn't you post a pic of the church? I searched "holy trinity" and "church" but didn't come up with anything.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #597 on: <05-14-15/1248:47> »
No, I hadn't posted a picture of the church. There is a real Holy Trinity (and, in all likelihood, dozens of them), but it's far too large and grand for the Puyallup Barrens. What's more likely is a small, dilapidated structure built in 2018 or 2019 following the Treaty of Denver, when Puyallup was transformed from an agrarian community to a huge refugee camp.

This is very close to what I had in mind for the in-game Holy Trinity. Something that was built almost 55 years ago and has seen a lot of acid rain since.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #598 on: <05-14-15/1302:01> »
Visual Perception [Int 5 + Perception 6 + Enhancement 3 + Spec 2]: 16d6t5 6 [3, 5, 6, 1, 1, 6, 2, 1, 4, 4, 2, 5, 6, 5, 4, 2] (Mental Limit 6 + Enhance 3)
Audio Perception [Int 5 + Perception 6 + Enhancement 3]: 14d6t5 4 [3, 6, 1, 6, 3, 2, 2, 3, 2, 5, 1, 3, 5, 2]

Which reminds me, eyes and mask are running wireless on but silent. Guns are the same (for Smartlink). Commlink is just wireless on (not running silent) and protecting the other items. Coat is also wireless on but running silent. The minigrenades are wireless on and silent but the other grenades are wireless off. Sensor tags are wireless off (he'll turn them on when he uses them). He's not broadcasting a SIN. Arms are wireless off (why would you ever do otherwise?).

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #599 on: <05-14-15/1524:59> »
@Tec, I love that pic.  Let's run with it. 

Once I get the rolls for Poindexter we should be ready to roll on this.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal