NEWS

[SR6] Power Points, Magic and Physical Adepts

• 81 Replies

Bookwyrme

• Newb
« Reply #45 on: <08-08-19/2153:10> »
The book has an archetype adept and if you look at him, he has a Magic of 6 and 5.5 power points spent.
 Two of us checked the math and came up with him being pretty starting character legal.  Magic, attributes, and meta type priorities work out especially. The only listed errata just switches stats around.
So, either he was made before changes, is broken completely, or you can in fact boost the magic stat at generation and get power points from it. Optimistically, they didn’t mess up like previous versions and you can.
Hope that helps.

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #46 on: <08-08-19/2227:58> »
I was about to post the same thing as Bookwyrmme just above.  The Adept example was clearly created using a different rule than is written in the book on page 66 (although why they didn't spend an extra 0.5 point is beyond me).   

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #47 on: <08-08-19/2251:34> »
Such things happen. That's why there's an errata process.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #48 on: <08-09-19/0455:18> »
I was about to post the same thing as Bookwyrmme just above.  The Adept example was clearly created using a different rule than is written in the book on page 66 (although why they didn't spend an extra 0.5 point is beyond me).
Because you're explicitly allowed to save up Power Points until a later time, when you know better what you want with it.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #49 on: <08-09-19/1113:09> »
Because you're explicitly allowed to save up Power Points until a later time, when you know better what you want with it.
I don't think that can be the answer.  pg 66 clearly says at character creation you only get power points from your Priority magic score, which would mean a starting Adept character could never have more than four power points.  The "Saving up points" rule in the Adept powers section doesn't resolve that problem.  The only explanation that makes sense is that the example adept character breaks the rule on page 66, so either the rule or the character needs errata. 

I think all the magic characters have the same issue when you add up the number of spells/forms they have, but its harder to tell because the example characters don't state the priority picks they were based on and Karma can be spent on spells/forms.  You would have to reconstruct the character creation process from scratch to confirm.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #50 on: <08-09-19/1122:09> »
You were wondering why they didn't spend the extra half point, I answered that question. Not the rest.

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #51 on: <08-09-19/1125:27> »
You were wondering why they didn't spend the extra half point, I answered that question. Not the rest.
Ah, I get it, sorry. 

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #52 on: <08-09-19/1130:56> »
No worries. Mind you, I got, ahem, Opinions on Adepts. But I'm waiting with discussing any uncertain points publicly until the book is publicly available for everyone, after that there will be a reckoning.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #53 on: <08-09-19/1246:18> »
I think all the magic characters have the same issue when you add up the number of spells/forms they have

That is correct, literally none of them are accurate. The shaman has 13 spells for example.

My money is on their intention being that the only magic resources any gets at chargen are strictly determined by their priority selection, and they were just extremely sloppy with everything that is contradictory to that. Time will tell.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #54 on: <08-09-19/1304:45> »
I don't have the insight to say with certainty, but yes given the conflicts with chargen rules (and not just spells and power points) I'm 99% sure certain rules changed subsequent to the pregens being written and the pregens were never updated to reflect those rules changes.

Again, that's what the errata process is for :)
« Last Edit: <08-09-19/1306:43> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #55 on: <08-09-19/1316:49> »
There's a reason we analysed all the problems with the SR5 Samples and made a new set of Missions-legal ones that also fixed their rule violations. -,-

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #56 on: <08-09-19/1326:48> »
I don't have the insight to say with certainty, but yes given the conflicts with chargen rules (and not just spells and power points) I'm 99% sure certain rules changed subsequent to the pregens being written and the pregens were never updated to reflect those rules changes.

yep, this right here ... I can confirm that all the pregens were written separately by others using a version of the rules that did not make it the final CRB
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #57 on: <08-09-19/1352:35> »
 Honestly, at this point I think it’s almost tradition that the pre-gen characters not be correct. I can’t remember an edition where they were XD

sn0mm1s

• Chummer
« Reply #58 on: <08-09-19/1636:55> »

Hmm... I would say that is what the *editing* process is for. I mean, I don't have the CRB but FFS how can there be so many issues with it within hours after the community gets it? It sounds like a cut and paste job done poorly with all the stuff seemingly implied but not mentioned. I mean, the one thing that *should* be locked down period is chargen and character progression. There should never be any confusion about chargen or progression. Literally, to test the rules *everyone* needs to make a character and not assume the rules are the same as previous versions.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #59 on: <08-09-19/1649:30> »
actually no, in game design character generation is usually the last component to get "built" because first you need to figure out all the pieces and parts and how they interact with each other ... during playtesting characters are just assigned stats and not built. Then when it is all said and done then you make the character generation is built to suit
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team