NEWS

[SR6] Control Action/Thought Spell resistance

• 5 Replies

Giabralter

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« on: <10-21-19/1617:35> »
Just reviewing these spells. previously you can spend a complex action to continue to resist these spells. now the target obeys you for net successes in minutes. Am I missing anything?

Second part is edge. Can the target gain or spend edge while under the influence?  It's only noted to gain edge in resisting a thought, not performing or resisting action.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-21-19/1636:29> »
There is a exception if the command is extreme enough like suicide. But yeah normally no continuing resistance. SR5 was broken in that you could throw a high enough force removing all resistance dice and sustain it forever. I rarely need more than minute much less minutes so no ability to resist, no sustaining penalty is a massive buff for any of our mages. 6e is only a nerf for the permanent pet style of control throughs.

Personally I’d have a resistance test every round successes removed net hits when It hits 0 you are free. Reduce it to a couple combat turns. Let the mage cast it multiple times to stack net hits maybe. Mage can do that a number of times equal to his spell casting(manipulation) skill level.

Influence when it’s added would be the same but the resistances wouldn’t kick in until the triggering event.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <10-22-19/0028:53> »
Limited spells still come with a sustaining penalty:
Limited
(L) means the spell has a set endpoint that the
spell cannot be sustained beyond, but it can be
dropped earlier than that if desired (the standard
penalties for Sustained spells apply
);

I would argue that nothing blocks the target from gaining Edge normally, however you shouldn't be able to force them to spend it. The GM should decide if Edge is spent or not on actions that feel natural.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-22-19/0139:27> »
I missed that. Problems with reading on a phone. Still I think minutes is far too long. In a game of 3 second combat turns. Minutes is forever.

Mistwalker

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <10-22-19/0746:13> »
But not if you are trying to do things outside of combat, like using control thoughts to have a guard believe that you have VIP access and to open the door for you - gaining access to the building/floor/etc..

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-22-19/1055:31> »
But not if you are trying to do things outside of combat, like using control thoughts to have a guard believe that you have VIP access and to open the door for you - gaining access to the building/floor/etc..

Then cast it again. I don’t think it’s a bad system where you have to keep casting it to keep it on someone for long periods.

Though for a guard to open a door for you that should be 30 seconds or so. So maybe 2-3 casts is how I see it. Maybe have a memory wipe spell as well.