NEWS

Help making my Troll adept

• 3 Replies

zeththeadeptork

• Chummer
« on: <07-06-16/1401:24> »
Alright so I'm having an issue making this into a character and not just a stat block
Priority is A B C D and E I'm trying to make him able to hit hard ,take damage. Be moderately stealthy and be semi tolerable with communication not want a face or Even Off face. Just someone who can speak and not be a douche constantly or isn't inept at it
"Speech" Matrix Thought Astral

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <07-06-16/1518:10> »
I think you could go : Metatype A - Attributes B - Magic D - Skills C - Resources E.

For the stats :

BODAGIREASTRCHAINTLOGWILEDGMAG

For the skills pick one melee skill, one ranged skill, Con (Fast Talk) or Etiquette, Sneaking (Urban), Perception (Visual) to cover the basics. You have only 2 points in Skill group and I would recommend to invest them into Athletics unless you want to pick a higher Gymnastics skill.

For the Adept Powers, Improved Reflexes is a minimum and I recommend putting it at level 3 even if it eat most of your PP. Improved Physical Attribute (AGI) might be a good idea to improve your dice pool but it eats quite a lot of PP too. Attribute Boost is a bit weaker but cheaper alternative since even a single level of it will gives you around 2 AGI and the drain is easy enough to soak for you, so if you have other Adept Power that you absolutely want to pick go for Attribute Boost instead.

EDIT : I put together a quick example of what I was thinking on Chummer, you can find it in attachment. There is no Quality/Contact/Knowledge skill since it is something to flesh out your character. Do not be too scared by the 6,000 nuyen, it can be compensated by converting some Karma into Nuyen to buy some essential (like a Fake SIN rating 4) but you should not need much anyway. If LOG 1 is too low, you can spend 10 karma to raise it to 2, it is all up to you.
« Last Edit: <07-06-16/1605:49> by Kuirem »

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-07-16/0136:40> »
Kuirem's outline is good. I would do the same. Troll adepts are a challenge because you need each Priority, and Troll is going to take A or B at a minimum.

I might take a couple points out of Body and put them into Reaction or (especially) Intuition. That helps with both dodging damage and also Initiative, plus underlying skill tests like Perception.

For your adept powers, Improved Reflexes would be the first choice for most people. However, pharmaceuticals are also an option. If the character is a berserker, Kamikaze would make you a bad bad man. If you keep Body 9, you have an 81% chance of beating the Addiction Threshold of 3. That would potentially free up power points that you could spend on other things.

For a more standard adept build:
- Improved Reflexes II or III
- Attribute Boost (AGI) because you have excellent soak dice (BOD + WIL)
- Combat Sense (for the guaranteed Perception check in surprise situations, if nothing else)
- Critical Strike (for your melee skill of choice)
- Killing Hands (if you're going unarmed)

Depending if you want to go loud or soft, Smashing Blow is expensive but underappreciated. You'll have the Strength to actually use it to good effect. Everyone I know who has played with it has had a blast going all Kool-Aid man on walls, or kicking down trees, etc. If you want to be stealthy, then Traceless Walk is another expensive-but-fun power that adepts have that doesn't have a good equivalent for mundanes.

For karma, you'll probably have to set aside 10 karma for nuyen. I would also strongly recommend 5 karma for a mentor spirit, which are both a bargain and offer great RP opportunities. That leaves you at least 10 karma to raise Logic to 2 (if that's bugging you), or bind a weapon focus (see below), or to pick up a handful of Rating 1 skills to round out your character. The Influence skill group might be a good fit if you didn't spend any skill points on Con or Etiquette. Maybe a point of Intimidation, etc.

For nuyen, start with armor and a month of lifestyle. A fake SIN is a good idea too. Get a gun and a commlink, plus some earbuds and glasses but don't blow the bank. You won't have as much to spend nuyen on after play starts,  so you'll have plenty of opportunities to upgrade low Availability items. For chargen, try to focus on things that are harder to find.

For example, a weapon focus would be sweet, and one of the best perks of being a melee adept. Swords and axes are awesome and terrifying (especially if you go the Kamikaze berserker route), but if you want to be stealthier then don't underestimate a good combat knife. You have the Strength to make it lethal and your troll arms provide a built-in point of Reach.

You'll probably pick up some additional karma via negative qualities. That can go into more positive qualities or you can spend it in line with the above. The In Debt quality can help alleviate some nuyen woes, but don't overdo it: it can get out of hand quickly.

Have fun! I haven't played a troll adept but now I want to.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-08-16/0301:05> »
Here you go.

Sumo Troll!

"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett