NEWS

[SR5] Why wouldn't I take a monofilament whip?

• 88 Replies

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <03-12-14/0517:06> »
But in which cases would this be a problem? If you have a cyberarm with an installed monofilament whip I find it hard to see you needing to use any other weapon? Although granted, in tight, confined spaces a knife or a hammer would be better, but in most cases?

There are really a lot of times, like when you need a legal weapon or a non-lethal one.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Leevizer

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <03-12-14/0532:50> »
But in which cases would this be a problem? If you have a cyberarm with an installed monofilament whip I find it hard to see you needing to use any other weapon? Although granted, in tight, confined spaces a knife or a hammer would be better, but in most cases?

There are really a lot of times, like when you need a legal weapon or a non-lethal one.

Like I mentioned in the first post, the character is already highly illegal and due to aluminum bone lacing can't deal stun damage in melee.

Triskavanski

« Reply #32 on: <03-12-14/0554:52> »
for me, the only problem I see with it is that you can't specialize in it.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <03-12-14/0706:42> »

Like I mentioned in the first post, the character is already highly illegal and due to aluminum bone lacing can't deal stun damage in melee.

Actually, with Shock Gloves, non-lethal remains an option.  And as for needing legal weapons, for many of those scenarios (like a bodyguard job) it's just the visible stuff that matters.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Leevizer

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <03-12-14/0733:48> »
Come to think of it, Shock gloves seem to be a good option. With AP-5 and Damage of 9S it's only slightly worse to the monowhip, although if I use the gloves that means that I can A) Keep my other melee options ready B) Don't have the risk of killing myself with my whip and C) Have atleast one option for nonlethal combat

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <03-12-14/0936:14> »
Shock gloves also require a lower karma investment for non-melee primary weapons (+2 dice, wins ties).
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #36 on: <03-12-14/1017:18> »
And shock gloves use the Unarmed skill, and can be specialized in, and even though they lack any Reach, still "hit" on a tie and possibly get a +2 just for being a "touch attack" I think.  They're really pretty amazing to use as a backup weapon for just about anyone.  Oh, and you can just get a "shock hand", which is comparable to the fingertip whip.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <03-12-14/1703:11> »
I don't take high rankings in any melee skill for the same reason I wouldn't take one of these;
To use it effectively as a weapon, you have to be very close to someone. That person in this world is likely to have a gun and won't particularly want to let you hit him, preferring to shoot you as you move into melee range instead.
Melee is very strong in SR5.

You can move very far in one single action phase
(which let you move around his cover before you attack)
You get a positive dice pool modifier for running and attacking someone with a melee weapon.
You get a positive dice pool modifier to avoid getting hit while running.
Attacking with a long reach melee weapon give your target a negative dice pool modifier to avoid the attack.
Targets get a negative dice pool modifier when trying to hit a running target.
Targets locked in melee get an additional negative dice pool modifier to use ranged attacks.
(even if he tries to attack someone else)
If target tries to leave melee range you get to attack him again
(in the same action phase and for just 5 initiative score, normally an attack cost cost 10).

As long as your target is <15 meters away or so you will get harder to hit if you rush him with a melee weapon than if you spend a simple action to take good cover... ;)

This is how i picture the mono-whip:
http://www.youtuberepeater.com/watch?v=CnefL62NS50&s=43&e=44
« Last Edit: <03-12-14/1731:01> by Xenon »

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #38 on: <03-13-14/0212:47> »
All of that is fine, but what about a situation where it isn't a 1v1? You might gut a mook or two, but against any real opponents you'll have multiple enemies shooting you down, suppressive fire zones to cross and such. Trying to run at someone who's shooting you is usually a bad idea, though situationally might be useful if you outnumber your foe. Guns are generally more useful, yes a whip might have a long reach, but is it as long as an SMG,s reach? Can you suppress people with it?
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <03-13-14/0219:54> »
All of that is fine, but what about a situation where it isn't a 1v1? You might gut a mook or two, but against any real opponents you'll have multiple enemies shooting you down, suppressive fire zones to cross and such. Trying to run at someone who's shooting you is usually a bad idea, though situationally might be useful if you outnumber your foe. Guns are generally more useful, yes a whip might have a long reach, but is it as long as an SMG,s reach? Can you suppress people with it?

That's why you have to be smart about it, but in the combat you tend to see in Shadowrun, the range is close enough that you can reach - there's a real world concept called the 21-foot rule that relates to this actually.  Melee exclusivity is not good, but specializing in it can be quite strong.

Also suppressing fire can be useful, but I haven't found it to be at all as common as you seem to think; in any case, if you get in the mix before the suppressing has a chance to start up, it's not gonna start.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Triskavanski

« Reply #40 on: <03-13-14/0225:42> »

intimidation.  Kill that first guy, and while drenched in his gore, begin laughing manically. Make them.. feel.. the sharpness of the whip with just your presence alone. (and perhaps a few demonstrations)

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #41 on: <03-13-14/0356:10> »
Very idiotic to standard laughing when you're being shot
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Leevizer

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <03-13-14/0441:32> »

If someone would laugh after dismembering someone AND while he's getting shot at, I'd be scared.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #43 on: <03-13-14/0959:18> »

If someone would laugh after dismembering someone AND while he's getting shot at, I'd be scared.
I feel like there is a distinct difference in responses if you're scared of something you can kill with bullets compared to being scared of something you can't kill with bullets.  8)
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #44 on: <03-13-14/1233:42> »
And shock gloves use the Unarmed skill, and can be specialized in, and even though they lack any Reach, still "hit" on a tie and possibly get a +2 just for being a "touch attack" I think.  They're really pretty amazing to use as a backup weapon for just about anyone.  Oh, and you can just get a "shock hand", which is comparable to the fingertip whip.

Away from books right now but 4th Ed. also had an augmentation called snake fingers or something like that which let your fingers stretch out two feet. I've always felt that combination had good synergy. Think the fingers where only for cyberhands/arms though.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada