NEWS

Device Rating and weapons [5E]

• 207 Replies

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <02-10-14/1818:05> »
I wasn't aware guns had a device rating of -12, which is what you'd need for [8+(DR/2)] to be 2.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #31 on: <02-10-14/1818:41> »
Guns get bricked with 2 points of Matrix Damage.
Wut?

Sorry - I was typing too fast and mistyped.  It should say 9 damage boxes.  That's 8 + (Device Rating /2).  This would not be a problem if I used the numbers on the top of the keyboard.  I use a 10-key and sometimes my fingers go where they want.  :P
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Razhul

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <02-10-14/2202:32> »
In my understanding of the smartgun systems, they can and do actually prevent your gun from firing when aimed at friendly targets. That means, they're quite invasive into the weapon and its firing mechanism (whether it's an internal or external smartgun system).

Hence, if that gets catastrophically fried (as called for by RAW), your gun won't shoot.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <02-10-14/2217:34> »
In my understanding of the smartgun systems, they can and do actually prevent your gun from firing when aimed at friendly targets. That means, they're quite invasive into the weapon and its firing mechanism (whether it's an internal or external smartgun system).

Hence, if that gets catastrophically fried (as called for by RAW), your gun won't shoot.

Well, that's the purpose of the Advanced Safety System in SR4's Arsenal, which was essentially an upgrade upon the smartgun system.  But given its various functions, it clearly must be more than something you just slap on top.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <02-11-14/1133:18> »
Wouldn't that be a good argument to have the best commlink you can get and slave your guns (and other vulnerable equipment) to said commlink?  It would offer a lot more protection to lower rated devices.  At least that is how I understand it.  Also, if in doubt, REBOOT!  Sure you are out for a combat turn but it's better than having a bricked gun.  Then you can still shoot your decker later for not protecting your stuff better.  ;D

As far as smartgun systems go from what I read even the most basic guns have a computer chip in them and can be bricked.  A mounted smartgun system must either plug into the gun's built in computer or interacts with it wirelessly. 

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #35 on: <02-11-14/1135:23> »
Yeah, slaving to a good commlink is a nice way to make it harder to hack. Especially if you let the team's mage own that commlink and manage your defenses. ;) Also, make sure you (or the mage) got a Low Lifestyle so you're on the Public Grid: It gives Deckers a -2 to hack you.

And of course Wireless Jammers are a nice way to raise the odds against the hackers.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #36 on: <02-11-14/1140:51> »
I kind of assumed the Public Grid is open to anyone, even those with high lifestyles and wouldn't require a test to hop to it.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #37 on: <02-11-14/1143:03> »
Hm, good point. In that case you can simply go Public Grid, period, to protect yourself.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <02-11-14/1205:25> »
They can hop to the public grid but IIRC all tests done ON the public grid are at a -2 dice penalty due to the crappy nature of the public grid.  At least that is how I understood it. 

Kanly

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <02-11-14/1226:18> »
Yes that's true but that's only for matrix actions. So if you don't do any (not a decker or rigger) you don't need to worry about that!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #40 on: <02-11-14/1243:51> »
It's fun how everyone talks past each other and reaches the same conclusion. :)

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #41 on: <02-11-14/1312:50> »
Yes that's true but that's only for matrix actions. So if you don't do any (not a decker or rigger) you don't need to worry about that!

Don't you need a decker/technomancer/IC/Sprite (one or more of the above) to brick a gun using Matrix actions?   ???

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #42 on: <02-11-14/1315:02> »
Which I think was Kanly's point. :P That everyone can switch to the Public Grid as defense against hackers.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <02-11-14/1324:36> »
Ah, ok.  Timepieces are now synchronized.   8)

Twilight

• Newb
« Reply #44 on: <02-23-14/1640:38> »
Sigh.  WTF?  A gun stops firing because the electronics in it stop working?  I don't think so.  A firing pin is purely mechanical and should not be affected whatsoever by electronics meltdown in the gun.  With each new edition of Shadowrun, I get more and more fed up with the completely illogical and unrealistic matrix/hacking rules (each version fixes some things and breaks others (with core SR4 being the worst)).