NEWS

Device Rating and weapons [5E]

• 207 Replies

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« on: <02-03-14/2251:02> »
My decker's getting interested in bricking weapons during firefights - which is good because that's useful.

However, it's not stated if different weapons have different device ratings. Page 234 has a table for device ratings and classified weapons as device rating 2. Unless there's an official rule elsewhere, do I assume all technological weapons have device rating 2?

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #1 on: <02-03-14/2257:03> »
That's what I would use. If they ran up against some prototype next-gen laser or something, I would probably go higher.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-03-14/2327:33> »
That's what I would use. If they ran up against some prototype next-gen laser or something, I would probably go higher.

Funny you should mention that. My players got their hands on one. I modified one of the 3rd edition Ares laser pistols. I was considering making it device rating 3, but I could as easily justify it as device rating 2 for being finicky.
« Last Edit: <02-05-14/2126:55> by ImaginalDisc »

Maelstrom

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <02-05-14/1233:12> »
Device Rating 2 is what we use.

Our GM ruled that a firearm, when bricked, no longer works only if the electronics are integrated (i.e., integrated smart link).  If the electronics are an accessory, then only the accessory is bricked and the gun can still be fired.  And sometimes bad guys turn off smart links so bricking isn't possible.

I don't know of any clear distinction in the rules.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-05-14/1543:42> »

There isn't a clear distinction because the gun doesn't need the smartgun system to be vulnerable to bricking in the first place - throwbacks aside, any and every gun can be wireless and can be bricked.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Kanly

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-05-14/1600:24> »

There isn't a clear distinction because the gun doesn't need the smartgun system to be vulnerable to bricking in the first place - throwbacks aside, any and every gun can be wireless and can be bricked.

Yep yep yep.

"Wireless:The weapon displays an ARO that tells you
ammo levels and ammo type loaded. If you have a DNI,
you get two additional benefits. First, ejecting a clip (for
weapons that have them) is a Free Action rather than a
Simple Action. Second, changing fire modes (on mod-els that have more than one) is a Free Action rather than
a Simple Action."

This is the wireless function all firearms have. So all firearms can be wireless on / off. If they're on, they can be bricked.
And I think if they're off they can't be bricked.

I guess it can get problematic if you have the external smartlink on but the gun itself off? Maybe that's impossible.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #6 on: <02-05-14/1644:55> »
I would think an external accessory might be subject to being a different node for the purposes of bricking.  But that's really nitpicking things to get down to that level of detail.  If a GM feels like going that far, by all means go ahead.  But in my games, a bricked gun is a bricked gun.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <02-05-14/1728:22> »
Remember that you can get any weapons as a throwback at no extra cost.

Kanly

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <02-05-14/1733:18> »
Or just tell your gamemaster once that by default, all your devices are wireless off.

ProfessorCirno

• Omae
  • The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!
« Reply #9 on: <02-06-14/1235:46> »
Or stop worrying because I'd rather have a decker that breaks my guns then literally any other enemy that breaks my face.  With a bullet.  By shooting me.  In the face.

The amount of paranoia over a gun needing a bit of repair astonishes me.  I think there legitimately are players who would rather their character be gunned down then their own gun be broken.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-06-14/1253:53> »
That's a bit insulting considering the "paranoia" is regarding your guns breaking down when you're trying to use them to shoot the people that are trying to shoot you.

ProfessorCirno

• Omae
  • The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!
« Reply #11 on: <02-06-14/1305:49> »
What, you only carry one?  ;)

Better to lose the gun then to lose your brain, I say!

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <02-06-14/1309:16> »
Except it's entirely possible that losing the gun will lead to losing your brain. It's a risk-benefit analysis issue, not a no-brainer.
« Last Edit: <02-06-14/1629:19> by ZeConster »

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <02-06-14/1808:58> »
That's a bit insulting considering the "paranoia" is regarding your guns breaking down when you're trying to use them to shoot the people that are trying to shoot you.

There is also the teamwork aspect. I'd rather face three security goons than two goons plus a spider who is trying to brick my weapons and mess with my team's tactical AROs.

Maelstrom

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <02-10-14/0908:18> »

Agreed.  I meant  RAW doesn't clearly say "guns that are bricked stop working", though I believe that's the intent.

Our GM mandated that a hacker can disable internal electronics (i.e., the built-in computer, built-in silencer, smartgun) , or external accessories if the gun has wireless on, but the gun still works unless an internal smartgun system is bricked because that completely controls the gun.  (Though the bricked electronics are broken so the gun loses those specific benefits).

He also told me that deckers don't have much to do in a gunfight other than shoot back.  So yeah; I already burned one edge to avoid a one-shot death while hidden behind cover.