NEWS

[SR6] Parashield DART Pistol vs. Narcoject Hornet - I don't get it.

• 1 Replies

Quatar

• Omae
« on: <08-08-20/0725:50> »
Ok, I'm looking at those two weapons, and I'm trying to figure out why I'd use the Narcoject one over the Parashield.

AR is slightly better in the Medium range (50-250 meters), but since most combat in my experience happens in more close quarters the Close and Near category are more important and here teh parashield wins.
Narcoject Hornet is classified as a "Dart Pistol" - so I assume it still uses the Exotic Weapon Skill, so no benefit here either.
It still uses the Injection Darts as far as I can tell, so one shot of Narcoject costs you 55 ny (5 for the dart, and 50 for the drug) with both guns. it also is subject to the stupid "need 1 or 2 net hits to actually hit" rule, while all other guns hit on a tie, since thats a property of the Injection Dart and not the Parashield gun.
Ok, so it can take 9 instead of 5 darts. I've yet to see a combat that takes longer than 5 rounds, and even if, reloading a smartgun is a Minor action. And while not strictly a mechanical effect the side-inserted magazine makes it weird to put into any holster while loaded, so you would have to actually load it before using it, totally defeating that benefit.

I'm just not sure if I'm missing something, misinterpreting something, or it's really just a very weird gun.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-08-20/1705:50> »
Ok, I'm looking at those two weapons, and I'm trying to figure out why I'd use the Narcoject one over the Parashield.

AR is slightly better in the Medium range (50-250 meters), but since most combat in my experience happens in more close quarters the Close and Near category are more important and here teh parashield wins.
Narcoject Hornet is classified as a "Dart Pistol" - so I assume it still uses the Exotic Weapon Skill, so no benefit here either.
It still uses the Injection Darts as far as I can tell, so one shot of Narcoject costs you 55 ny (5 for the dart, and 50 for the drug) with both guns. it also is subject to the stupid "need 1 or 2 net hits to actually hit" rule, while all other guns hit on a tie, since thats a property of the Injection Dart and not the Parashield gun.
Ok, so it can take 9 instead of 5 darts. I've yet to see a combat that takes longer than 5 rounds, and even if, reloading a smartgun is a Minor action. And while not strictly a mechanical effect the side-inserted magazine makes it weird to put into any holster while loaded, so you would have to actually load it before using it, totally defeating that benefit.

I'm just not sure if I'm missing something, misinterpreting something, or it's really just a very weird gun.

I really think it's all about the ammo count. Only thing I can think of is with the proper setup, get multiple shots off a round in a situation. That and concealability with extended range compared to a full rifle dart weapon for that range. I see it as having it's place in a tool kit, just depends on the run.