NEWS

Armor for critters.

• 4 Replies

chinlamp

• Newb
« on: <06-04-12/0240:12> »
I probably just missed this, as I'm sure this would be a popular thing for biodrones and stuff.

So, do armor (or cost modifier) rules for animals and critters exist?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <06-04-12/0753:29> »
Not as yet. Though if they could ever figure out usable armor for nagas, that'd be awesome.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <06-05-12/2002:08> »
After seeing the dogs the Navy SEALs used to take out Osama, I went looking into this myself. There is a company in Calgary, I believe, that produces armour for dogs. The vests come with cameras, mics, harness attachments and camouflage. Once I saw that, I just asked the GM if it would be reasonable to rig up something for my hell hounds that was similar. We used an armour vest as the base, made it 1.5 times more expensive, similar to how Trolls and Dwarfs get dinged for the meta-human extra big or small fee and then modded the armour as you would for a character. It isn't like you are going to be adding form fitting armour to this set up or anything and it gives security animals a bit of protection.
Since it exists now, we saw no reason not to have it in 2072. Perhaps you can add the Advanced Critter training rules in Running Wild to include Wear Armour as a trick for a given animal but as this stuff is somewhat similar to the rain vests dogs already wear, we saw no reason for it.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #3 on: <06-06-12/0350:16> »
After seeing the dogs the Navy SEALs used to take out Osama, I went looking into this myself. There is a company in Calgary, I believe, that produces armour for dogs. The vests come with cameras, mics, harness attachments and camouflage. Once I saw that, I just asked the GM if it would be reasonable to rig up something for my hell hounds that was similar. We used an armour vest as the base, made it 1.5 times more expensive, similar to how Trolls and Dwarfs get dinged for the meta-human extra big or small fee and then modded the armour as you would for a character. It isn't like you are going to be adding form fitting armour to this set up or anything and it gives security animals a bit of protection.
Since it exists now, we saw no reason not to have it in 2072. Perhaps you can add the Advanced Critter training rules in Running Wild to include Wear Armour as a trick for a given animal but as this stuff is somewhat similar to the rain vests dogs already wear, we saw no reason for it.

Nice... after a quick Google, I think you got the stats just about right.

Did you get the GM to include a Low-Light/Thermal Camera, Mic, and Climbing Gear as standard modifications to the armor?
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <06-06-12/2022:19> »
Yes, yes I did. And added thermo as well as vision enhancement. Basically a rating 6 camera and rating 6 microphone, and a micro transceiver for communication with the dog (giving it orders). It could be swapped out for a commlink for the same purpose I suppose and offer a few more options, like acting as a relay for drones.