NEWS

[Resource][Spell]Passwall

• 18 Replies

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #15 on: <07-06-12/1724:14> »
Interesting spell.

I can see the use of it, but unless you have a powerful caster (or uses edge) its not much of a game changer.

On the average security/commercial wall, a caster could expect 2m/sq hole... Big enough for single file entrance (basically a door). To get that door, he has to cast at force 6... And resist 5s drain.

Well thought out, useful and interesting. But, if I may, might I suggest a limitation of non living materials? The only true downside to the spell as it stands is that it defeats all known 'anti-magic' devices like awakened ivy, biofibers, etc.

By appling this limiter, you stop players from using the spell to bypass ultra secure areas (like prison cells!)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #16 on: <07-06-12/2117:26> »
Yeah, once this spell is part of the world and the corps catch on, the ultra secure places will develop a strain of biofiber or Awakened Ivy that feeds on flesh. Go ahead, walk through that wall! Don't say I didn't warn you....

Oh, and also, they would line the spots between the walls with pressure plates.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #17 on: <07-06-12/2133:12> »
Well thought out, useful and interesting. But, if I may, might I suggest a limitation of non living materials? The only true downside to the spell as it stands is that it defeats all known 'anti-magic' devices like awakened ivy, biofibers, etc.

By appling this limiter, you stop players from using the spell to bypass ultra secure areas (like prison cells!)
The spell does not actually defeat Awakened Ivy or biofibers. Those are methods of securing astral space, not physical space. However, you could probably say that a wall lined with biofibers has an increased OR, and Awakened Ivy is already not affected because it is not a Wall or Floor. So you would still have to hack a hole in the ivy to get through it. Also, note that the spell has no effect on wards or other magical barriers, since those also aren't Walls or Floors.

As for prison cells, if the mage is IN the cell, and hasn't been identified as Awakened, either because the corp didn't have a mage on hand to Assense him, or his Masking was good enough, then why not? But most prisons tend to do nasty things to mages to keep them from doing magic to escape. If you're trying to break into the prison, how is that different, really, than the hacker going in, owning the cameras and turning off the maglocks on the doors?

Instead of thinking of it as a replacement for other things, think of it as another tool in the toolbox. Sometimes the hacker gets thrown from the system, and you still need to get that prison door open. Sometimes demolitions are too noisy. This gives you another way to do things, like having a pen, a pencil, and a sharpie in your bag. Each does basically the same thing, but in different ways, and they have their strengths and weaknesses.

Yeah, once this spell is part of the world and the corps catch on, the ultra secure places will develop a strain of biofiber or Awakened Ivy that feeds on flesh. Go ahead, walk through that wall! Don't say I didn't warn you....

Oh, and also, they would line the spots between the walls with pressure plates.
Who says they haven't already?

Also, remember that unless you have eyes on the other side of the wall, this is a blind leap. You could come out on a deserted hallway, you could come up in the middle of a security patrol, or you could have just stepped into a hive of hornets.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #18 on: <07-07-12/0856:40> »
I've never considered myself an expert. Experienced, yes. Expert, I'm not so arrogant as to claim that. But in any game I've played, from rookie Shadowrunners to Epic level Gestalt D&D games to superhero systems like Mutants and Masterminds, I've never seen a character that was invincible, or that didn't need help from the rest of the group. The key to a team game is finding something you're good at, and then getting two or three other things you can do as well, so that each person has their time to shine, but when that person is unable to perform, either because they couldn't be at the table, or the group was split up, you're not SOL. To use the example of Control Thoughts and Mind Probe, there is certainly a lot a Face does that is replicated in those spells. Most of the time, the face would handle such things, unless you were in a hurry, or the face was down. In fact, in one of the books it even mentions that most teams have overlaps, with the exception of magic. If the hacker goes down, and can't open the blast doors for you, do you really want to be stuck there, waiting for them to recover from dumpshock and get back online to help while the corpsec is closing in on you? Do you only have one person in a team who knows how to do hand to hand combat? Only one person who knows how to shoot a gun? Only one person who can do legwork?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters