NEWS

[Resource] [Quality] Variant Negative Quality: Aspected Magician (Defensive)

• 6 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« on: <01-19-12/0152:10> »
Aspected Magician
Defensive Aspect (5 BP)

The magician (or mystic adept, wherein are found the majority of this aspected magician) possess brutal penalties for most active uses of their magical power.  (This does not apply to adept abilities, note.)  For Spellcasting, Ritual Spellcasting, Conjuring, Binding, Arcana (for any 'active' design use, as compared to 'knowledge' use), and Enchanting, the magician receives a -6 to their dice pool.  Counterspelling, Banishing, Assensing, and Astral Combat are their primary focus.  Defensively-aspected mystic adepts very frequently follow the Path of the Warrior, and are known on the street as 'mage-killers' due to their relatively high resistance to magic and significant combat ability.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #1 on: <01-19-12/0359:10> »
I Like it.

Shouldn't they get +2 to their aspected magic, when they get a -6 penalty?
As per the Expert Aspected Magician optional rule in SM p. 31.

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-19-12/0414:12> »
That's a rule-tweaking that GMs could optionally pursue. However, I don't think it should be part of the Defensive Aspect, and here are my reasons.

Every other Aspected mage gets normal ability in three skills, plus a portion of one, and has 6 skills and the rest of that one reduced.  Spell Category, Spirit Aspect, Astral Aspect, and Enchanter Aspect are all even worse; they get only 2 skills, or restrictions on their 3 + 1.

• Sorcerer: Normal Sorcery Group (3 Skills), -4 to Conjuring Group (3 Skills), Assensing, Astral Combat, Enchanting, Arcana (except for spell design).
  • Conjuror: Normal Conjuring Group (3 Skills), -4 to Sorcery Group (3 Skills), Assensing, Astral Combat, Enchanting, Arcana (except for ally design).

The Defensive Aspect gets 4 full Active skills, and is basically designed to be a tough-to-magic badass.  As a consequence, there are (should be) penalties for the skills they're basically never going to use, just to emphasize the fact that yeah, they're seriously screwed in those areas.

On review in writing this response, -6 may be somewhat over the top, thoughts on reducing the penalties to -4, to keep in line with the other Aspects?
Pananagutan & End/Line

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #3 on: <01-19-12/0709:20> »
On review in writing this response, -6 may be somewhat over the top, thoughts on reducing the penalties to -4, to keep in line with the other Aspects?

-6 is fine, if they get the +2 to the ones they're good at. Otherwise, yeah, I'd drop it back to -4.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #4 on: <01-19-12/0712:01> »
If you want to drop it back to -4 you should reduce the aspected skills to 3 and take Astral combat or Assensing out, to fit in line with the other 5BP versions. I would say remove Assensing, since it has nothing to do with an "Defense Aspect"..
« Last Edit: <01-19-12/0714:31> by Lethe »

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-19-12/0837:08> »
Opposing viewpoints.  Fight it out!!
Pananagutan & End/Line

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-09-15/0131:48> »
Revisiting this for 5e.  As a Quality (since it could be added on to any Magician / Mystic Adept), what do you think it'd be worth?  -5?  -10?  Or -5, but with an increase to your non-negatively-impacted Magic skills, so a +2 to Counterspelling, Banishing, and Disenchanting?
Pananagutan & End/Line