NEWS

[Resource] Google Earth SR Nations overlays

• 7 Replies

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« on: <12-01-11/2335:49> »
Here are .kmz (Google Earth a free download, website link) files of Shadowrun nations for North America and Africa (the others will be posted here when finished ).

Africa (14.92 MB)
North America (3.28 MB) (Also contains sub folders for Seattle and Denver districts which are "off" when initially downloaded as there are national level overlays for those cities...having both on at the same time makes viewing of details difficult.)

Best displayed if you de-select default "Borders and Labels" layer of Google Earth.

Note on methods: Photos were taken of individual nations on the Sixth World Almanac map then overlaid and re-sized in Google Earth to match (where SR borders matched current day borders), then the nation was drawn in using Google Earth's polygon tool and the original photos removed. Due to the curvature of the Earth, the photos were often resized In many cases to match the specific area being worked on. Where SR borders did not match current borders, a "best-guess" match was made, either to rivers, roads, ridges, or preexisting county borders.

Note on accuracy: At some level of zooming in, the borders of the SR Google Earth nations will not match those of present day borders (where they match) though they should be within +/- 1 km (and most often +/- 200 m). Where only the Sixth World Almanac borders existed (such as most of Aztlan's northern border) "best-guesses" were used but could be as much as 10 or even 50 km off (though if the 6WA maps are the most accurate SR maps...then these overlays will, probably, be more accurate overall).

Google Earth does not support polygon overlays that encircle the globe (from a specific longitude all the way around back to that longitude) so an overlay for the Trans-Polar Aleut is currently not possible.
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #1 on: <12-03-11/0825:00> »
Beautiful, Fizzy.

Would it work to do the Trans-Polar in two chunks using the Prime Meridian and IDL as the break points (or perhaps as a single unit having a tiny gap of perhaps 20-30 minutes at one of those lines)?
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-03-11/1626:32> »
Two chunks is a good idea. I'll try that when I get home. It was over a year ago, but I think I tried doing the 'gap use' solution and that it didn't work.

Edit/Update: Yup, cutting T-P A up into two sections, on for each hemisphere, works. T-P A will be included when I roll out the updates :)
« Last Edit: <12-04-11/1537:13> by Fizzygoo »
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Raven Runner

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <12-08-11/0940:06> »
This is awesome.

Question: as some one fairly new to SR I'm looking at Seattle there are those two huge buildings that you added (as far as I can tell), I'm figuring one is Aztechnology and the other is Renraku. Are there loads of buildings that big in Seattle? I know there is probably no precise answer to this but I'm trying to get a feel for what the city might actually look like now.

That said, this is a great resource, thanks for putting the time in.

Argent

• Chummer
  • Doh! Wrong ammo clip!
« Reply #4 on: <12-08-11/1103:09> »
I'm in the process of creating ESRI shapefiles of Shadowrun nations, locations, hotspots, etc. Anyone with GIS mapping software would be able to use it. The kmz files that Fizzy has on here are nice because Google Earth is free and probably more proliferous than expensive software suites such as Arcview. However the shapefiles can nail down more background data and my gaming group loves the addition thus far.
Running the shadows since 1989.

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <12-08-11/2232:49> »
This is awesome.

Question: as some one fairly new to SR I'm looking at Seattle there are those two huge buildings that you added (as far as I can tell), I'm figuring one is Aztechnology and the other is Renraku. Are there loads of buildings that big in Seattle? I know there is probably no precise answer to this but I'm trying to get a feel for what the city might actually look like now.

That said, this is a great resource, thanks for putting the time in.

Firstly, thank you :)

Short answer: No, there are not loads of buildings as big as the ACHE and Aztechnology Complex in Seattle.

Longer answer:

The two buildings are the Aztechnology Pyramid and the ACHE. Their width, length, and height are accurate to about 5 meters according to their statistics in the 1st edition Seattle Sourcebook (SS). However the angle of ascent is guessed at. Based on the given stats for the ACHE, I cannot see how to get it to match the artist rendition on the cover of Seattle 2072.

There are a "few" other buildings/complexes that are "big" (such as Fuchi's compound of "Seven skyscrapers, each of a different height, encircle the central building." [SS pg 43] that's located at 21st Ave South & Massachusetts Street [haven't found current status of this complex though, probably NeoNET owned, but no canon that I've found yet] and the MCT Complex on "Martin Luther King Jr. Way & Sixth-eighth Avenue South...Six black and silver skyscrapers stand at the center of this corporate complex, towering above the other buildings along the south shore of Lake Washington" [Seattle 2072, pg 56].) in addition to all the other skyscrapers. But I don't recall any level of detailed specifics on par with the two arcologies.

But the Azzie Pyramid and the Renraku Arcology both had their own sections/chapters in the original SS, putting them on par with the districts (Tacoma, Auburn, Everette, Redmond, etc.).

The SS Renraku Arcology has "Giant of the Seattle Skyline" as its subtitle, lists its dimensions as 780m x 650m by 969 meters tall (when completed), and an estimated final population of permanent residents of 92,000. In the description it goes on to say, "[people] will be impressed by the size of the ninth-largest building in the world." (as of 2050, natch).

The Aztechnology Complex's section subtitle in SS is "Aztec Glory in Seattle," with "Complex Dimensions: 500 meters by 500 meters (Main Building, 195 meters by 195 meters and 300 meters tall)," and has 5,000 permanent residents.

So it's safe to assume that these two buildings are the exception rather than the norm.

For comparison, the width of the Burj Dubai is about 160 meters and stands just over 800 meters tall.

http://synclaire.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/tallest_buildings.png

I'm in the process of creating ESRI shapefiles of Shadowrun nations, locations, hotspots, etc. Anyone with GIS mapping software would be able to use it. The kmz files that Fizzy has on here are nice because Google Earth is free and probably more proliferous than expensive software suites such as Arcview. However the shapefiles can nail down more background data and my gaming group loves the addition thus far.

Would love to see those ESRI files, Argent, even if only screen captures and what not. I did a good amount of looking into GIS mapping software and yeah...money is the barrier, so I decided to go with Google Earth and that way both the files and software are free and open to anyone to use (so long as they have a computer and internet access to download them, of course).

My personal GM goal is to get a small projector so I can throw it up on a screen during game rather than having the group crowd around the monitor. :)

Argent

• Chummer
  • Doh! Wrong ammo clip!
« Reply #6 on: <12-16-11/0059:00> »
No problem. I'll post up some screenshots next week when I get back to my home office. I'll show a "Map View" and a "Database View".
Running the shadows since 1989.

Dirtywork

• Newb
  • Rep="yaaawwwwnnnnn"
« Reply #7 on: <05-24-12/1843:18> »
This is a very nice tool. Anyone been able to get it to work on an iPad?