NEWS

Where to Start, where to Go

• 2 Replies

Adarkm07

« on: <08-17-14/0118:32> »
So I'm looking to run Shadowrun 5e for my local gaming group soon (taking over for another GM), and I want to involve the group a bit in the larger metaplot elements. I figured a nice way to do this might be to run Missions, but I'm not entirely certain where to start (either with converted Season 4, something earlier, or Season 5) or what order to add in things like Sprawl Wilds or Firing Line, or Splintered State.

I originally entertained the notion of start off with a converted Dawn of the Artifacts saga, but was dissapointed to learn that the storyline from that really went... nowhere. (Meandering a bit before ending with Ghostwalker closing the Watergate Rift).

Most of our group are Shadowrun novices, and I'm only moderately experienced myself: Which is the other reason (metaplot aside) I'm looking for something pre-written for 5e or to convert in order to get the group up to speed.

So to summarize:

1) I'm looking for a pre-written adventure (any edition is fine, I can convert, does not have to be Missions) to start a new group off with, and need suggestions.
2) Where should I go from there?

prionic6

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <08-17-14/0745:06> »
You mentioned Splintered State, which is marketed as an introductory adventure so it might be a good starting point. It also seems to follow the questionable tradition of putting new characters (which most of the time are new players and GMs, too) neck-deep into complicated metaplot and stuff that is probably way over their head. Also it kind of ties into Missions Season 4 so it would probably be difficult to run those afterwards.

Here are some reviews:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_reviews.php?products_id=119804

At least I hope it doesn't have a Cyberzombie and a meeting with Villiers and Lanier. Does anyone here remember "First Run"?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-17-14/1432:50> »
1) I'm looking for a pre-written adventure (any edition is fine, I can convert, does not have to be Missions) to start a new group off with, and need suggestions.
2) Where should I go from there?
1)

Seasons 1-3 of Missions are free to download. They're 3rd edition (Season 1, Seattle) or 4th edition (Season 2, Denver; Season 3, New York), but that shouldn't be a problem. http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/missions/downloads/

If you do play Season 5 (Chicago), you'll want the (Free) Missions Season 5 Prep Files, at DriveThruRPG, and the Season 5 FAQ.

SRM05-01, Chasin' the Wind got 5/5 stars: http://diehardgamefan.com/2013/10/02/tabletop-review-shadowrun-missions-5a-01-chasin-the-wind/
Battleshop or DriveThruRPG ($5.95). From there you can get the second and third adventures, which are also currently available. But Chasin' the Wind has the most reviews on DriveThruRPG.

As far as other adventures go, my first suggest is Elven Blood. It's a 4th edition PDF, but the reason for its publication is because they were Convention Missions that were very, very well received by new and old players, especially Ancient Pawns(I think AP should be updated to 5th edition and made freely available, but I'm just a lowly freelancer). http://diehardgamefan.com/2012/09/25/tabletop-review-shadowrun-elven-blood/

Sprawl Wilds and Firing Line are collections based on the Elven Blood format of publishing popular convention Missions (which hadn't been in past years). The benefit they also provide in addition to being for any group, especially new players, is that they contain 5th edition rules.

2)

This depends entirely on what you and your players want to do once you've gotten some experience with the game under your belts. You can consider converting earlier modules, or you can get campaign books, adventure compilations that are more freeform and reliant on GM setup, like Artifacts Unbound, Corporate Intrigue, and Jet Set. You could then, or additionally, jump into the full SR universe with plotbooks like Storm Front (which covers several plots) or Stolen Souls (which focuses on one plot).