NEWS

The campaign has been run into a corner; now what?

• 24 Replies

Deacon

• Newb
  • Call me... Deacon Blues
« on: <07-13-14/1055:11> »
I've been running a campaign for a while now, and I've run into a severe, game-changing problem.  After several adventures leading up to it, I ran the climax adventure, a save-the-world adventure where the stakes were pretty high..  I expected the player characters to be able to pull it off, though there might have been some death and destruction. 

Instead, they muffed it.  Completely.

Okay, bad dice happens, so I gave them another chance.  Far-sighted as they are, the powers-that-be had a backup team.  The players got to make a new team, similar amount of karma, and go in and try it again.

This time was worse.  This time, one of my players went so far as to join the other side, in addition to stupidity and bad decisions.  (The player's decision to defect was based on roleplaying and his character background.  He was playing correctly, but I could not have imagined what his loss did to the team in terms of morale and decision-making ability.)

Well, I've run the campaign into a corner.  This was a save-the-world run, and they flubbed it, twice.  The good guys had the main team and a backup, and quite frankly I can't see pulling a Deus Ex Machina and having a third team pull the world's fat out of the fryer, and showing the players that their actions were worthless.  Nope, I want to show them that there's a price for failure, beyond just the loss of their characters.  The world has to change.

Trouble is, I'm having a hard time envisioning the change.  So let me paint the picture, and we can extrapolate What This Means For The World.

An ecoterrorist group led by a toxic shaman (one of those 'burn the world in order to save it' types) got its hands on an ancient ritual designed to raise Leviathan from its slumber deep in the Marianas Trench.  Leviathan is a proto-Horror, something even the Great Dragons can't control without the ritual.  Well, this group, thanks to the mistakes of the player characters, managed to raise Leviathan and are now in control of the thing.  Their message to the world is this: Clean up the oceans or there will be no more transoceanic shipping.  With Leviathan firmly under their control, they have the means to do exactly that.

The corporations are helpless.  They tried a combined military strike and Leviathan destroyed them with impunity.  Ares got permission from the UN to use a nuclear strike.  It failed.  For a Thor Shot to work, Leviathan would have to remain stationary.  I don't want there to be a possibility of taking out the leadership of the ecoterrorists until MUCH later in the campaign.  Right now these people are too powerful.  They have Godzilla in their possession -- a Godzilla that can't be tracked, can't be found unless the toxic shaman wants to be found, and can destroy any attempt to use the oceans for any sort of commercial venture.

So the world is all sorts of FUBAR right now.  Every time there's any attempt at commercial ocean shipping or harvesting (fishing, etc.), Leviathan suddenly appears and wipes out the assets in question.  Attempts at using this as bait have all failed.  Leviathan is just too tough.

I don't want the world solving this problem.  That would, again, obviate the players' actions.  I want this to affect the world and make the players realize that their indecision, their stupidity, and their actions, have seriously cost the world.

First thing I can imagine: The corporations have actually had to deal with this ecoterrorist group's agenda, and that means money that would have gone towards shadow operations, now has to go towards developing strategies and technologies to clean up the world's oceans.  That means that shadow jobs are MUCH harder to come by.  But the problem is, well, what happens when there's a lack of money in the campaign?  Players start making mages and adepts and technomancers rather than playing cash-hungry mundanes.

Of course, gear is harder to obtain -- some of it's just not available any more, since you just can't get stuff from overseas, unless it got shipped by air.  And Leviathan's been known to strike cargo jets out of the upper atmosphere, so only stratospheric means of shipping are available.  That means either suborbitals -- expensive! -- or stratospheric zeppelins -- slow! -- are the only methods of getting it across the Atlantic or the Pacific.

("But Deacon, if the corporations are dealing with the ecoterrorists, wouldn't the ecos allow shipping?"  Well, that was the original idea, but the ecoterrorists are nutters.  It's become fairly apparent that they intend to wreck the global economy, because they have the power to do so.  The corporations are starting to clean up the oceans, because the ecos have said that's what they want, in hopes that if the corps give the ecos what they want, they'll go away, but apparently the ecos will only allow shipping when the oceans are cleaned, not while they're being cleaned.  Doesn't make sense, I know, but did I mention the fact that they're nutters?)

("But Deacon, Leviathan is one tiny little Godzilla in a huge world, it can't possibly be everywhere at once!"  Leviathan travels at hypersonic speeds underwater, and can sense big giant metal ships travelling on top of or in the water from thousands of kilometers away.  Thor Shots don't work, because by the time Ares fires, Leviathan has moved.  No, Leviathan can't be everywhere at once... but odds are that by the time your big metal container ship launches from one port and makes it to the destination, Leviathan will have found it and blown it up.)

("But Deacon, what about coastal shipping?"  You mean just traversing the Ring of Fire, or the Atlantic Coasts, in skips and jumps, and getting stuff to markets that way?  Might work.  But if Leviathan catches you doing this, well, you know what Godzilla does to Tokyo in all those movies?  Yeah, I don't think a port city is going to want to risk that.)

("But Deacon, what about small-time shipping, in boats not large enough to attract Leviathan's attention?"  You mean, like a smuggler campaign, where the PCs have to smuggle goods in small watercraft, buying and selling like merchants and occasionally doing or dealing with the odd bit of piracy?  Hey, what a great idea for a campaign!  Hope my players can spot that too.  ;D)

Anyway, I've set it up.  I'm just wondering if I've missed any other implications on How The World Will Change.  Can I get some discussion going on this idea?
"Of course I have a superpower.  It's called a brain.  I use it."
--Johnny Zero, Children of the Atom

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <07-13-14/1120:34> »
Sounds like a great campaign setting with lots of opportunities. The corps need to comply, but on the other hand the eco-terrorists have a huge goal and don't control the corps' assets or have their ammount of intel and power over the everyday world.

What I would do as the Corporate Court  is: Comply, buy time and screw the terrorists as soon as possible. Preferably the Leviathan, too, by means of a Thor shot. That could be your campaign goal. And the corp court needs several teams to pull that off. They need a liason team with total deniability to interact with the terrorists. They need multiple teams uncoverin intel on the terrorists and they need a hit team to finally pin down the inner circle and the Leviathan. Think of it as a Crash 2.0 scenario, but without the matrix component. So basically it's easier. ;)

You could have your new characters be any of these teams or all at once, if you like to play with character pool rules, where each player controls multiple characters, so the players can participate in each step of the game. Then let them figure out a way to get the Leviathan and most or all of the inner terrorist circle into a cramped space. Maybe a good target for the terrorists to hit. Like the Panama Canal, a major shipping hub etc.

If your players don't figure out a way to take ritual (?) control of the Leviathan, the Corporate Court might be willing to sacrifce that central hub's operational capabilities for some time to come. The Panama Canal might be a good choide, because Aztech has been building the Nicaragua Canal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaragua_Canal) for some time (see the Sixth World Almanach I believe, or the inoffical Shadows over Latin America). So Aztech might even be willing to push for that solution to assure their control of the Trans-American shipping routes in the aftermath.

Anyway, there are tons of opportunites for this to become a truly epic campaign. Just don't let potential "SHTF-scenarios" ruin your gaming experience. It's just a game. :)
Liber et infractus

TormDK

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <07-13-14/1446:06> »
Personally I would question why you would let it go that far :)

I mean, if the Pc's lost, they lost.

Let the world handle it, and let is simmer down some. You can't keep it at a full throttle pace when stakes are that high, especially since they lost twice.

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-13-14/1516:47> »
The first thing that came to mind for me is you decide how powerful the Leviathan is. So originally it was going to be unstoppable, but now that you are where you are maybe it can't move that fast or is that tough. Maybe the ritual while it gave them control originally the Leviathan breaks control and now attacks some shipping, but lets most of it through.

How far away does the Leviathan attack from when it sinks a ship? If it has to engulf the ship more or less it isn't impervious to a Thor shot. Put a juicy target have the Thor shot targeting it and when the Leviathan takes the bait rain down on it with all the furry that it encompasses. So you sacrifice a major ship like a megacorp would blink at that.

You state that foreign trade would dry up. That isn't actually true. Unless it is something really big the majority of commerce even today is done by air. While things may go by sea to keep costs down they can go by air and often do. So I could see costs going up, but most trade wouldn't disappear. If Leviathan can strike jets out of the air it is just too powerful see my first comment.

If the corps know where this group of bad guys are they could send special elite forces after them. Eliminate the threat. It isn't ideal for the NPCs to clean up the Players mess, but it gets you out of the situation.

I disagree that money for Shadow jobs would dry up. Money that was going to be spent to buy and repair ships that are now useless would be used first. If anything I would see the need for Shadow operations increasing. Especially if the eco-terrorists are eliminated all the corps would be looking to get their hands on the means to perform the ritual for themselves. This is where the characters could come back into the picture. It could be a series of adventures for or against different interests to get the info.

The other option and the one I thought of first was all of the characters are dead so you are starting over why not just reset the world and not have to worry about it?
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-13-14/1614:38> »
I concur with the world reset.  If the players have repeatedly demonstrated that they can't or won't "save the world", then scale the runs back down to normal "get data/extract scientist/sabotage project" runs.  Don't write yourself into another corner where the PCs are absolutely vital to head off the Apocalypse.  And don't set out to screw over the players to punish them for messing up your run - it's supposed to be a game, played for fun.

Deacon

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-13-14/1701:52> »
No, there will be no reset.  I worked too hard on this campaign to just reset things back to square one.

That doesn't teach the players anything.  It just says that if they screw the pooch, everything goes back to zero, and they can try again.

The Leviathan is god -- a Thor Shot won't work.  It was immune to a nuclear strike; a kinetic-kill weapon won't have any effect either.

The ritual that woke up Leviathan and put it under the control of the toxic shaman, had as part of its sequence 'wake up Leviathan'.  Thence the ritual won't work again, unless the means is found to put Leviathan back to sleep.

What I'm thinking is changing the setting to something more semi-apocalyptic*.  Since bulk shipping is out of the picture for the world, countries and corporations have to live with limited resources and being unable to take advantage of a global economy.  Things like electronics and manufactured goods are still being made, but they're local manufacture now, rather than it all coming from China, Germany or other production supercenters.  In North America, that means items that used to be fairly cheap -- like comlinks -- are much higher in price.

The oceans are changing -- purification technologies are pretty remedial right now, but the technology is coming along.  Unfortunately this means that ecologies are being disrupted.  And weather patterns are changing as the seas are changing.  When you're dealing with an Awakened world, tthis means wizard weather, mana storms, paracritter attacks -- megalodon swarms. anyone?  Leviathan isn't the only problem attacking shipping.

Speaking of shipping, it's still there -- Leviathan can't be everywhere at once, and as long as the corps aren't using large bulk transports, they can get away with it a good amount of the time.  But there's plenty of room for the small, independent smuggler to make a profit legally -- if it needs to be somewhere right away, a smuggler with a small, fast cargo ship is the best way to get it there.

The Corporate Court has acknowledged its powerlessness, due to infighting as to what to do about Leviathan.  Aztlan and Saeder-Krupp favor a larger military strike.  Other corporations, less dependent on foreign markets, feel they can wait out the storm.  After all, this shaman and his cronies can't live forever.

The new group can do a lot -- the money is out there if they know where to look.  Corporations are going through a new era of cooperation, as they have to work together to purify the oceans, so there isn't so much profit in stealing from the corps -- but there are other sources of income.  Without cheap drugs from overseas sources, the criminal syndicates are scrambling to find new sources and new avenues of delivery.  Politicians now have something new to shout at each other over.  The news media really wants to get footage of Leviathan taking out a cargo ship.  There are still plenty of opportunities.  And there's always the new market of fast, immediate international shipping.

The world has changed -- again.  Can the players change with it?

*It isn't so much post apocalyptic as the apocalypse is going on now.  Just that it's a slow eco-apocalypse.  And an econ-apocalypse.  Like I said, the world has changed.  The player characters have to adapt to the changes.  I think they'll like it.
« Last Edit: <07-13-14/1705:13> by Deacon »

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-13-14/2055:06> »
No, there will be no reset.  I worked too hard on this campaign to just reset things back to square one.

That doesn't teach the players anything.  It just says that if they screw the pooch, everything goes back to zero, and they can try again.

The Leviathan is god -- a Thor Shot won't work.  It was immune to a nuclear strike; a kinetic-kill weapon won't have any effect either.

Any run or campaign only survives until contact with the players/characters. One of the hardest things for me to learn and most rewarding once I did was that the campaign needs to be dynamic and flexible to what the players want in a game. It should follow the threads that the characters enjoy and engage in.

It shouldn't be about teaching the players a lesson it should be about everyone having fun. I'm not saying they should get to try again I'm saying run something else. It sounds like your players aren't at this time a good match for the plan you have for the world.

You complain about the Leviathan is too powerful and how it has you in a corner then when people give you ideas you just say no it is too powerful. If you are determined to have this good luck and I hope you and your players have fun.
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Carpool

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <07-13-14/2110:55> »
Three words: Rigger-Adapted Jaeger :)

Fenix

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <07-13-14/2136:28> »
Three words: Rigger-Adapted Jaeger :)

My group's rigger would lose his mind over that idea. He loves Pacific Rim, and has already been trying to talk me into letting him build an Iron Man suit lol.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #9 on: <07-13-14/2347:26> »
Two words: "Dream Sequence."  If you gave them two runs at it, give them another two or three.  Use the same baseline characters (more or less).  Then unplug them and give them a few thousand in pay - and call it a corporation trying to do 'catastrophic event planning'.  This even has a certain amount of precedent in the game - 'the runners' at one point do a run involving planting a bomb on a presidential limo (or some such) for Carla Brooks, Dunkelzahn's head of security - and it's a simsense run.

Otherwise, understand that yeah, you're changing your game pretty much forever, Shadowrun products and plotlines will pretty quickly be useless, etc. etc.  Reset the entire thing.  If you don't, at least understand that it's your ego getting in the way of the game - not your players'.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #10 on: <07-14-14/1045:43> »
Gotta say, the notion that you have to "teach the players something" is pretty repugnant. It's the equivalent of the 3rd grade playground tactic: "taking your ball and going home" - boy will that show them!

What do you have to teach them? How to play the game right? How to RP better? How to do what they want to do, correctly? Get over yourself. Some campaigns succeed, some fail miserably, some fail spectacularly (sounds like this one was closer to the last?) - move on to your next sweet, meticulously toiled-over idea. And don't get me wrong, I've had this same feeling, but it's a toxic relationship you're building with this approach. Do you feel like they failed on purpose, or to spite you somehow? I kind of get that impression.

Maybe someone else should take a spin at GMing for a bit? If you wanted them to succeed so badly, you could have done some on-the-fly "re-balancing" and everything could have came up roses, no? A failure in a campaign is not a failure on the players part, at best it's a success anyway (because everyone enjoyed themselves) and at worst it's a failure on the GM's part because he became spiteful and too adversarial.

Wasn't the point of your epic and intimately planned campaign to tell it's story? Who's fault is it, really, that it didn't get told? Hint: I'd start this investigation with the story-teller.

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #11 on: <07-14-14/1053:28> »
I HAVE RUN SHADOWRUN SINCE 1987.  I have run many campaigns, most off the top of my head.  Any time I have not had a game going on, it has been MY choice and not because I couldn't find players.  I have six players and a waiting list twice as long.  I have never had to rely on printed adventures or plotlines -- in fact, most of the time I find them useless to begin with.
All this and the campaign still failed? Inconceivable.

Deacon

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <07-14-14/1105:30> »
I HAVE RUN SHADOWRUN SINCE 1987.  I have run many campaigns, most off the top of my head.  Any time I have not had a game going on, it has been MY choice and not because I couldn't find players.  I have six players and a waiting list twice as long.  I have never had to rely on printed adventures or plotlines -- in fact, most of the time I find them useless to begin with.
All this and the campaign still failed? Inconceivable.
Who said the campaign failed?

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #13 on: <07-14-14/1107:08> »
You must be really good if you managed to GM Shadowrun for 2 years before the publication of the first edition!
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Deacon

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <07-14-14/1109:30> »
Correction.  I started running Cyberpunk in 1987.  I started running Shadowrun in 1990.

Sorry, I get the two mixed up sometimes.