NEWS

How do you threat ramdom maiming?

• 7 Replies

Shamie

• Omae
« on: <08-28-13/0743:27> »
Hello.

Im currently preparing a "Extraction" for a group of players, and there is a scene in wich is the Pcs fail a dice roll they could lose a hand.

At first, i thought to myself "no way im doing this" as for my roleplaying experience ramdom maiming is something that never sit well with players as they usually (in my experiece, of course) preffer maiming comes for RP reasons more than a bad dice roll.

However Shadowrun has the unique (in the games i played) thing of cyberlimbs being extremely common, so even lossing a hand or arms isnt a big deal really (except, magic users technomances).

So im wondering Dms of Shadowrun, how you usually threat ramdom maiming, meaning lossing a body part for a bad dice roll.

thanks for all the answers

Palladion

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <08-28-13/1303:06> »
Loss of limb is (generally) preferable to loss of life and character. If a character uses Burning Edge: Not Dead Yet (SR5 57), there are still consequences. Losing a hand/arm/skull or other damage at that point is pretty much a given.
P A L L A D I O N

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #2 on: <08-28-13/1807:35> »
I generally reserve loss of limb for critical glitches, situations where the danger is obvious in the scene setting (at which point my players know that it could come up even on simple glitches depending on their actions), and for serious damage caused by explosions, heavy weapons, or the occasional called shot.

I would also note that cyber replacement is not the only option. A person can also have their medical provider force-grow a replacement cloned from their own tissue. This would obviously be the preference for most mages or technomacers. I don't think it's priced in any recent sourcebooks, but I would likely price it around the same as a cyber replacement + surgery.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <08-29-13/0511:26> »
Like Valashar says, you can just get a regrown hand instead. No big deal, and I wouldn't make it too expensive.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Shade

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <08-29-13/0631:12> »
Yep, optional rule for 4th was that any critical glitch on a damage resistance roll was going to cost the character more than some damage boxes. I used this rule in 5th and it makes the characters a lot more interesting after a while.

TX_DM

« Reply #5 on: <08-29-13/2312:08> »
Cut off the hand, even if it's a mage they can get a vat-grown replacement.

Shamie

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-02-13/1210:38> »
i was more of a question about wich you (meaning the people who reply) use than a question about the rules.

Thanks for all the answers  :)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <09-02-13/1404:17> »
"High Explosive grenades. Monofilament Whip Assassins. What could go wrong?"
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!