NEWS

Importantance of a fake SIN

• 24 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <06-03-18/1855:22> »
That's how SRM is going to work when the new season starts.  Your socially inept types don't get paid if they don't go.  And what's even more fun is those with certain socially inept negative qualities are required to try to help assist the Face.. they can't control themselves and stay quiet. 

I will say for the record I think that is idiotic.

Well it's still a provisional FAQ and isn't official yet.  They're still actively soliciting feedback so if you feel strongly about it they're listening.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #16 on: <06-03-18/1906:03> »
....(and in some cases SHOULD) start your SR career without one if it fits your concept.

Don't disagree with with you at all here. Some concepts it makes perfect sense to not a even a fake SIN.

But, if you character is starting out with multi-thousands of Nuyen in cyber and gear, chances are you have a SIN, even if it is a crappy lvl1 fake one. Lets be honest, the determent of NOT having one, even a cheap one, when your character is packing around several years worth of middle class lifestyle savings in his body or in his pockets is a little unrealistic :P
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <06-03-18/1943:57> »
Well it's still a provisional FAQ and isn't official yet.  They're still actively soliciting feedback so if you feel strongly about it they're listening.

Well I don't play SRM, but...

<overheard at an SRM table>
"Hey Bob, I know you have 0 social skills and like to shoot your mouth off, but why don't you come to the meet with me and help me negotiate? If you say something dumb, piss off the Johnson and we don't get the job. No biggie. We can all go home early!" :)

Don't disagree with with you at all here. Some concepts it makes perfect sense to not a even a fake SIN.

But, if you character is starting out with multi-thousands of Nuyen in cyber and gear, chances are you have a SIN, even if it is a crappy lvl1 fake one. Lets be honest, the determent of NOT having one, even a cheap one, when your character is packing around several years worth of middle class lifestyle savings in his body or in his pockets is a little unrealistic :P

Totally agree.
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #18 on: <06-04-18/0225:27> »
Let me chime in here: NOT having this rule for SRM would be madness. Why? Because SRM is supposed to be a centralised thing, not a tailored-to-the-character thing. There is no time to add all the consequences of a runner walking around without a fake SIN, just like there's no time to deal with obscure allergies. In a campaign, you can tailor things around the Runners quite nicely. A Demo Team Agent doesn't have the time to handle that in a single session. So that one guy walking around without one? Yeah... Not to mention what will happen if they DO decide to come into the area, and bam suddenly you're dealing with the consequences*.

Also: There is a difference between being at a meet and helping negotiate. The Johnson likes to actually see what they're hiring. Doesn't mean they'll take part in the actual negotiation. You just ask some questions where relevant and let the social people come up with reasons why you should get paid extra.

(* Mind you, a guy going 'but I can start without a Fake SIN so what's the big deal if I walk into Downtown without one?' is nothing compared to a player going 'I have all four Increase Attribute Powers active at ALL time, feel free to make me roll for them 4x every 6 in-game seconds even though the drain chance is reaaaally small'** to force the GM to let them have their abusive gameplay just to be able to get on with the game, but it's a jerkmove all the same.)

(** Calculation was that this guy would go K.O. within half an hour if they actually had to roll, but since that'd take thousands of rolls, it'd be impossible to roll out.)
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

mbisber

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <06-06-18/1907:41> »
P.16 from the FAQ for Missions

Rating  and  Availability
Any  gear,  including  magic,  cyberware,  and  bioware,  may  be  purch
ased  at  character  creation,  provided  the Availability  is  12  or  less  and  the  Rating  is  6  or  less  (SR5,  pg.  94).  Note  that  the  Damage  Value  and  Armor  Rating  of 
an  item  is  not  included  in  this,  it  is  only  items  which  have  variable  rating  levels  which  you  may  be  purchased.  Players may  purchase  normal,  alpha,  and 
used  cyberware  at  character  creation,  but  not  beta  or  deltaware. Note  that  cyberware  grade  only  affects  the  implant  costs  for  implanted  cyberdecks  and  commlinks.  The  link  or deck  cost  remains  the  same  regardless  of  whether  it’s  a  used  implant  or  a  delta-grade  implant.The  only  exception  to  Availability  limits  during  character  creation  is  the  Restricted  Gear  Quality  (Run  Faster,pg.  149).

So, much of the discussion in this thread seems moot as Fake SINs of 5 or 6 are beyond the Availability of 12 for character creation.

« Last Edit: <06-06-18/1911:05> by mbisber »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #20 on: <06-06-18/1919:56> »
Actually, as mentioned by some, they want to go without fake SIN initially and buy a rating 5 or 6 after a few runs.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #21 on: <06-06-18/1934:53> »
I'm 90% sure most everyone in here knows that rating 4 Fake SIN is the max starting. But that is what most everyone is recommending. Start of the a season is a good time for authors to check basics to keep the runners "honest", and from the FAQ it seems like the NT Police are big this issue.  So be prepared (TM).
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #22 on: <06-06-18/1958:54> »
MedTec28, your friends can indeed work it out this way.

It might come with some challenges and they better have that SIN befor they start in NT, but yes, Cerulean shadows will be a bit more forgiving.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

Bamce

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <06-07-18/1050:24> »
Ever walk up to an automatic door and had it not open? Or leave your wallet at home with your ID? Thats what life without a sin can be.

Without a sin, you are not a person. You dont have any rights. Its easier to take you out hehind the shed and shoot you, than fill out the paperwork for a sinless arrest. Cheaper too.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <06-07-18/1059:45> »
Ever walk up to an automatic door and had it not open? Or leave your wallet at home with your ID? Thats what life without a sin can be.

Without a sin, you are not a person. You dont have any rights. Its easier to take you out hehind the shed and shoot you, than fill out the paperwork for a sinless arrest. Cheaper too.

Of course there's those protesters who think SINless have metahuman rights.  But who cares what those hippies think.  That's why you have slick PR people to handle whatever bad press protests about throwing out some SINless with the trash might bring about.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.